1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Racist? "Indians Only..."

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by recraig2, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mob

mob Active Member

Best Answers:
    mob, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  2. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is perfectly natural to solicit people who are indians and i see no wrong in that. I wouldnt call it racism.
    There are plenty of reasons why the guy posted the ad is looking for indian.

1. Wanted writers who knows various indian topics.
    2. Running a niche website focused on india only.
    3. Wanted hire a freelancer online/offline

you know its super cheap to pay indians compared to those from other foreign countries.

olddocks, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  3. tonyrocks

tonyrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    tonyrocks, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  4. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wasn't "justifying" anything I was pointing out that you are in a global discussion and that what is classified as "racist" in an international venue might be different then the U.S. legal standards that have been warped by a bloated legal system.

To be honest to me you seem like a typical "ugly American" if you run around trying to impose your own laws and culture in an international discussion. So I was just trying to put in a different perspective for an outside viewpoint. In other words - Take a step back and look at the situation from a global viewpoint.
    or just keep twisting and warping it to your own view and point, that’s always fun.

That’s OK I didn't really take what you were saying seriously.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
    averyz, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  5. spujap

spujap Active Member

Best Answers:
    May be DP would make a sticky thread to ask people refraining from posts of "Indians Needed" kind. Seriously it hurts many people (I've noticed this in several Forums including DP).

spujap, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  6. michandney

michandney Peon

Best Answers:
    When I first read the thread I thought "Oh yeah! definitely racist, why would someone need an Indian writer to do English writing? The OP is clearly right", but then someone mentioned it and it became clear to why they might have said Indian only, and the main reason may be translation. That could be the thing. At first, I assumed it may be racist, but there's got to be some logical reason to why they'd say the only race. I could understand if it was for something such as an ad for a play or something, but for an ad? (hence the translation bit).

michandney, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  7. gb-translation

gb-translation Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe they need culture-specific texts? Also, the English spoken in India is markedly different from US or UK English languages. So I wouldn't cry out over it being racism just yet.

gb-translation, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  8. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe they wanted cultural/religious writing done?
    Maybe they wanted current events (Indian) writing done?
    Maybe they wanted writing on local (Indian) topics/business done?
    Maybe they wanted a whole lot for a whole little and that the rupee to $US exchange rate would be the most profitable (for them)?

Senobia, Aug 24, 2011 IP
  9. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I cannot see anything wrong in here. The other day I saw an ad in another forum highlighted ***For US Writers Only*** obviously, there were many controversies, including some Canadians who wrote that their English is as good as that of the Americans. However, I bear no grudge against that OP.

parsibagan, Aug 24, 2011 IP
  10. guitarizma

guitarizma Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Howdy,
    I'd say it's partially racist. If you sift through the "content" forum you'd see that many adverts ask strictly for "U.S, U.K" writers...well that's partially racist as well. I say partial because the author probably doesn't intend to start a revolution (given a chance) against a particular race. It's just that the guy's looking for writers who can accept local currency payments and writing an ad in this fashion would kinda build an aroma around him (he probably feels he needs it) as an "employer" and ward off unwanted responses. Be it Indian or U.S, I think it's better to judge a writer after seeing his work and not on his nationality.

guitarizma, Aug 24, 2011 IP
  11. skylark11

skylark11 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    at first when you read it it sounds racist but then you can count milions of reasons.

1. maybe the employer is Indian.
    2. maybe he wants similar mentality as his to reason with.
    3. understanding between eachother.
    4. stats show that indians do the best internet works out there.

and many many more.

skylark11, Aug 24, 2011 IP
  12. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Uh. Which stats would those be? If their posts here on DP are any indication of their "internet works" - lawd have mercy.

Senobia, Aug 25, 2011 IP
    tattoos likes this.
  13. adarshnet

adarshnet Active Member

Best Answers:
    ...Mate...Calm Down....That's how the world works.... :/

adarshnet, Aug 25, 2011 IP
  14. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Or click away from the ad instead, and look at more interesting forum sections? Isn't that simpler?

Maybe the one who posted that original ad was looking for India-based users, yet doesn't know it
    might be easier to word it that way. Who knows?

Even if that's true, well...so what? If an Asian woman only wants white Caucasians with big tools,
    that's her choice isn't it?

Much ado about nothing here, really.

Dave Zan, Aug 25, 2011 IP
  15. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    It would be great if the OP provided a link to the objectionable post. I'll personally check it out, discuss with the poster, and let you all know the reason.

parsibagan, Aug 25, 2011 IP
  16. Fem

Fem Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, here you have the explanations [My persona viewpoints, lol!]

# Indian is one of the leading countries where tens of thousands of people make a living from outsourced projects. And yea, they are cheap and they know English, Programming and Designing - the basic requirements online. Hiring someone having quality at an affordable rate shall be the choice for anyone, and yea, some buyers do that. [The second option could be Filipinos, for most buyers do not prefer freelancers from other countries in the sub-continent]

# I personally DO NOT smell any racism while placing a thread requesting people from one country, for they may have some special requirements [and it is not a must to explain others why do they prefer people from one country, would be great to reveal it though!]

Fem, Aug 26, 2011 IP
  17. recraig2

recraig2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So far I see that people are giving essays about why someone might want to hire someone IN India. What the thread is about is why someone would request a particular RACE, not someone from a particular country. After all, not everyone in India is Indian. THAT is the main point. The secondary point is that most of the conjectures about why someone would request Indians can easily be met by people from other countries. Those that cannot be met by people in other countries (i.e. local Indian bank account, language barrier, etc...), refer to the main point.

So far, not a single reason has been given that adequately justifies requesting a particular RACE. This is exactly what led modern, civilized nations to begin a war against RACISM.

This is not an overly sensitized conscience, as averyz suggested about Westerners (Americans in particular), but a rational stance that has long been proven true and just, not only in America. If some individuals want to abuse the courts with this issue, that is their individual failure, not the failure of Anti-RACISM as a moral stance. The failure of logic in that argument about the courts indicates the weakness of perception of moral logic in general.

As for the complaint about posts asking for U.S. or U.K. writers, those are countries, not races. Those posts are not racist. They don't care what race you are, just that you are in or of that country. American is not even a race, nor is British. Caucasian and American Indian are races. But there are plenty of Indians in the UK and the US, as there are many other races. Technically, Indians are traditionally a sub-race classified within the Asian race, as Europeans are traditionally a sub-race classified within Caucasians.

Although I truly believe these people posting this way are intentionally making RACIST demands, I will give them the benefit of the doubt with my own suggestion of what could limit requesting someone from India when asking in English. In English, when you say someone is Jewish, do you mean they are of the Jewish race, are from Israel, or adhere to the Jewish religion? It could mean either the first or the last, but not the second. Unfortunately, there is a similar problem with many national and racial terms in English. Indian is one of them. When we say someone is Indian, our meaning is the Race. But how would we say it if we wanted to emphasize they were not racially Indian, but were from India. We naturally, without thinking, would adjust and say, "from India". We do not say they are Indian if we know they are of a different race, but come from India.

Perhaps those posting these ads do not know English well enough to realize this fine distinction. This is perfectly understandable. So let's just SAY that this is the problem, though from reading and talking with some, I really believe most of these posts are racially motivated to counterbalance what appears to them to be an unfair favoritism toward US/UK writers (excluding Indians who are from India). So let's give the benefit of the doubt and say it is a language issue.

As for the original post, you can just have a gander below this thread and you will find that DP has provided you with plenty of RACIST threads demanding INDIANS ONLY.

Any more want to try to justify racism? ;-)

I have a client who pays by Western Union.

Needing anything related to India does not justify asking for "INDIANS" only. India is not only Indians. This is a very important point. When asking for U.S. writers one is not asking for Caucasian writers. They could be black or Korean. No one cares as long as they use native American English. These posts for US or UK writers is ALL about language and the issue of race is completely absent.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2016
    recraig2, Aug 26, 2011 IP
  18. domainnamesalez

domainnamesalez Peon

Best Answers:
    It is also possible that the poster wanted someone from India as he wanted articles to be written about some stuff in India which only Indians would know. Maybe he wanted some real content rather than some other country guy rewriting an article from Internet...

domainnamesalez, Aug 27, 2011 IP
  19. thesickearth

thesickearth Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are you saying that people aren't free to do with their money what they want? Would you feel better if they didnt say "indians only" so they can waste your and thiers time whille they sort you out? Give it a rest will you.

thesickearth, Aug 28, 2011 IP
  20. bharatmax

bharatmax Member

Best Answers:
    I am from India. I am 100 % sure that it was NOT A RACIST advertisement.The advertiser may have known the reason.Please find the advertiser and ask him.Hope he may end this thread.

bharatmax, Aug 28, 2011 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.