1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Quick browser check: If IE then show Firefox referral at top of page

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by livingingermany, May 2, 2006.

Hi, quick question:

I saw on Phil Taylor's Joomla Components page, www.phil-taylor.com - that he has in place a quick browser checking script. When you load his page in Internet explorer, a large yellow block appears at the top of the page saying that you do not have Firefox viewing this page and that you can install it by clicking on the Firefox referral button, also shown.

Is this allowed? Anyone have any experience of writing such a check?

Thanks,
    Dave

livingingermany, May 2, 2006 IP
  2. wwm

wwm Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a stupid idea

you gonna piss off 90% of ur visitors (u have to remember college/corporate users cant install sometimes programs)

that will definetely cut into your adsense profits

wwm, May 2, 2006 IP
  3. tonyinabox

tonyinabox Peon

Best Answers:
    i think it's ok. it's another marketing implement.. I saw many professional website do this. some on the side. so that make you have the direct target.

tonyinabox, May 2, 2006 IP
  4. Indian

Indian Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice idea...dosent seem to break the TOS tho

Indian, May 2, 2006 IP
  5. ravenplus

ravenplus Active Member

Best Answers:
    I know this is an old thread, but I found this post off of a google search, looking for firefox referral idea's.

That yellow block for firefox/google toolbar referrals is used a lot, I found this link here that gave a tutorial on how to do that popup/floating referrals ad but now also shows another tutorial on how to use a another version of the yellow block to just appear as a thin line at the top of your visitors browser. This is a good idea if your afraid of losing your IE traffic or having it killed completely by the "Large Yellow Block" method for firefox referrals.

http://www.sizlopedia.com/2007/08/19/trick-to-make-more-money-through-firefox-referrals/

this is the new smaller version, and inside the tutorial, if someone needs it, theres a link for the larger yellow block tutorial as well. I thought this might be useful since firefox referrals is so popular now.

ravenplus, Mar 27, 2008 IP