1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

questions about a 3 column template?

Discussion in 'CSS' started by Braveheart, Jan 11, 2006.

Hi, I'm creating a 3 column template, here is the template:
    http://examples.50webs.com
    I've been using tables in the past but now I want to start using <div> tags for designing a template :)
    So basicly I want to make 3 columns, the sidebars to be with a fixed width, the content to be relative width and a footer to stay always in the bottom of the page no mather if there is a content or not.
    Also it whould be nise if the minimum width if the whole page to be no less that 760px (optimised for 800x600 resolution).
    Will it work with all major browser even Opera and Safari?

If you know some tips pls suggest me something

Braveheart, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  2. Djohn

Djohn Peon

Best Answers:
    Have a look at http://www.glish.com/css/ for inspiration on div->column. Very nice templates to use as a guidelinie throughout development.

If you want to center the entire layout, you'll need to do variations of the same thing several times, as IE and Opera see things differently on that subject.

Djohn, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  3. Braveheart

Braveheart Peon

Best Answers:
    ok, I made it so far, but now I just have one question:
    How can I make the two sitebars to have inherited height so to stick always to the footer no matter if it has enought content in the sidebars or not?

Braveheart, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  4. stuw

stuw Peon

Best Answers:
    Tricky, the easiest way to have you columns go from the header to the footer regardless of content is to use a repeating background for your whole page.
    eg:
    <div id="header"></div>
    <div id="wrapper">
    <div id="content"></div>
    <div id="sidecolumn"></div>
    </div>
    <div id="footer"></div>

Then make a tiling background for #wrapper that looks like this (use your imaginations).
    |<--- column ---->|<------ content ------->|

stuw, Jan 12, 2006 IP