1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question regarding smf pretty urls

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by pankajdeoria, Apr 27, 2010.

I have installed on my forum website pretty url mod and I am using it from last 3 months.

My question is I want to remove pretty url but the problem is that 500+ links are already indexed in google with pretty url. So, If I will remove this mod then all the indexed pages will take searchers to the index page of my website ..

So, may I remove this mod? Will there be any problem regarding SEO?

Please help me in detail

Thank you.

pankajdeoria, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  2. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Use 301 redirects on the biggest threads that get you the most traffic.

RectangleMan, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  3. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do you want to take out this great MOD? I am using it in one of my forums and traffic from search engine doubles.

Bohol, May 18, 2010 IP
  4. Groovystar

Groovystar Peon

Best Answers:
    It DOUBLES with pretty URL? Holy shit, I got to get me one of these :p

Groovystar, May 27, 2010 IP
  5. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    OT: Hi Groovystar: you have such a big RPG forum site using SMF. Are you using a VPS for your site? How many unique visitors you got a day?

Bohol, May 27, 2010 IP
  6. Groovystar

Groovystar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I am on a VPS. I get about 300 uniques a day, down from about 1100 back about 6 weeks ago, before we moved.

7. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    The reason I'm asking is that I also have a very active forum site with 1,000 uniques a day and I'm using a VPS with 512 RAM, yet that isn't enough. The server chokes. I have to restart the services all the time.

How much RAM do you have? Do you think I need a 1GB RAM? Do you mind if I ask which VPS host you're with? Thanks.

Bohol, May 27, 2010 IP
  8. Groovystar

Groovystar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I'm with IGXhost and I highly recommend them, although a heads up: they don't know anything about SMF so you should have a programmer who can get you out of a fix, unless you yourself have the enormously good fortune to have that kind of skill yourself!

I wish I could tell you how much RAM I have--it says unlimited, though we all know there's no such thing...but my disk space is 833 MB...so far.

Another host I highly recommend is my SMF programmer friend Flamer's host. Let me get the link....

http://twitter.com/wjunk

That's his twitter page. I had already gotten my forum installed on IGX before I met him but he is an SMF expert and so a good host to have if you run an SMF forum. I can't guarantee anything but if you contact him and explain your site's needs he should be able to give you a good estimate.

9. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice. I still need to improve my skill on tweaking SMF. It's good that my host is very supportive in every step of the way. High server consumption is my problem. I guess I would face the same problem in any host I'd migrate to.

Bohol, May 28, 2010 IP
  10. Groovystar

Groovystar Peon

Best Answers:
    there will not be a way to avoid the high bandwidth no matter what you do, you need more space and a better hosting package. the guy i referred you to, offered to host my site on his server so if your forum is my size it would probably also do well there. but....i do not know what your forum's size is. from what you say it might be bigger.

Groovystar, May 28, 2010 IP
  11. zenestilo

zenestilo Peon

Best Answers:
    Probably you are using this mod for long, so i have a question regarding Pretty URL Mod.
    Have you noticed PRETTY URL process any junk/bogus link too??? For ex. domain name/BOGUS LINK - Still it will open up the index page instead bringing up 404 error page.

Have you found any work around to this prob?

zenestilo, Jun 14, 2012 IP