1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question regarding ebooks found in PLR package...

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Ben-AceofTech, Apr 7, 2009.

Hello all,

Recently I was searching Google for "free PLR articles". Like usual, nothing good comes up, but I actually found a download for at least a few hundred articles "and more!" it boasted. So I went ahead and downloaded the first set.

To my surprise, just the first one I've download has 4 different niches and in each one it contains something along these lines:
    • 50+ Articles on Topic
    • At least a 5+ part "E-Course" on the topic
    • -6 Different email advertisement letters for e-course
    • A text document with premade Google & Yahoo adwords content
    • A HUGE list of keywords for the niche
    • A very nice E-Book on the subject at hand
    • and at least 3+ pre-written sale emails to send

It does include a small thing on affiliates and some templates for creating a site of that niche, including images, banners, etc.

But here's my real question... because I found this as a PLR pack, I'm pretty sure I have the write to spin the articles and post them on my "auto-blog" But what I'm really concerned about is the eBook. In each niche its very well written and very informative, and all the pre-made advertisements for them, ask for a price of around $20-$30 for each eBook.

My real question is can I just take that eBook and sell it myself? Better yet, could I set up a ClickBank account and sell that eBook as mine? Now I'm pretty sure theres something that goes against me using an eBook that I didn't write as MY product, so I'll probably stick away from that, but if I just offered that eBook to users who browse my blog for say $10, and sell it from my own site, without any affiliate stuff, is that legal?

If all of this is not at all legal, would there be anyway for me to make some cash off of selling these eBooks for each niche?

Ben-AceofTech, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  2. sarah_harvey

sarah_harvey Active Member

Best Answers:
    With PLR ebooks you can sell them as they are. Some people are more creative and redesign a new ebook cover and rewrite the sales letter to make it more unique or you can just use the same graphics and ebook as it is and sell it. There is nothing wrong with it. Problem is you get people that have a PLR ebook like 'Blogging Cash Methods' and just sell it as it is. If you searched for the same ebook, you will probably find dozens of sites that sell it and never changed one thing. Personally, it's better to take the PLR ebook and add to it or rewrite it and make it your own.

If you tried to sell the ebook as it exists on Clickbank you may have a problem if someone else claims it is theirs already. So redesign and recreate the ecovers, sales letters etc. and you should be fine.

Also in most PLR products you probably have a license which is in a text file. Read what it says in relation to your rights.

sarah_harvey, Apr 7, 2009 IP
    Ben-AceofTech likes this.
  3. Ben-AceofTech

Ben-AceofTech Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for the reply. I will probably do what you recommended and remake the covers and maybe add some photos or extra text on the inside. Then put it up on ClickBank.

And I did look through the whole thing regarding legal rights, but unless I'm blind there is nothing there. Also, after I change this eBook, how much should I charge? Its a 61 page eBook.

+Rep, thanks sarah_harvey

EDIT: I was going through one of the eBooks about VOIP and I found this on like the second to last page:

Limits of Liability / Disclaimer of Warranty:

The authors of this information and the accompanying materials have used their best efforts in preparing this course. The authors make no representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy, applicability, fitness, or completeness of the contents of this course. They disclaim any warranties (expressed or implied), merchantability, or fitness for any particular purpose. The authors shall in no event be held liable for any loss or other damages, including but not limited to special, incidental, consequential, or other damages.

This manual contains information protected under International Federal Copyright laws and Treaties. Any unauthorized reprint or use of this material is strictly prohibited. We actively search for copyright infringement and you will be prosecuted.

Even though I think I vaguely know what this means, if someone could simple it out, I'd be greatful.

Ben-AceofTech, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  4. Business Attorney

Business Attorney Active Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with buying these huge PLR packs with resale rights is that you don't really know what rights you have because it is nearly impossible to know the real source of the materials. Unlike the authors who sell PLR rights to materials that they themselves have written, the materials in the massive PLR packs have been cobbled together from many places.

If someone takes a copyrighted work and throws it into a PLR pack that you buy, YOU are responsible for any infringing uses you put the materials to. Your lack of knowledge may save you from the consequences of intentional infringement but it does not mean that you are free from the consequences of your own infringement. The seller cannot sell you rights that he does not have.

With any PLR article or ebook, you are always better off rewriting the content in your own words and your own voice, both to reap the benefits of presenting "new" content and to avoid copyright issues.

Business Attorney, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  5. druidelder

druidelder Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to read the license under which the PLR pack was given. Many require you to rewrite some or all of the material before use. In addition, not all PLR packages give you the right to resell (some only give the right to use and claim authorship). Third, while you said you didn't find any good free packages, you didn't mention paying for this one. Most legitimate packages cost money. So if you didn't pay for it and it would have cost money from the actual source, then you don't have any rights to it

druidelder, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  6. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    no matter what the cost, free or otherwise, i bet you most people that create PLR are using
    stuff that are not quite legal...they have to get their content from some place, and they have
    to entice it enough to sell or giveaway...I would bet most PLR are loaded with illegal content
    from the get-go..personally, i think PLR is useless, but could start a new blog or something, it
    would not be of much more value then that....

but one post is right, create your own unique ebook...that why
    someone can buy it from you can pack it up in the next PLR :)

a buyer here on dp bought a script from a seller, and the seller promised
    he would not sell it, I just saw where the seller was selling the script
    here on dp...it happens all the time..someone will take your ebook and
    pack it in their PLR, and it will be on its way...

dscurlock, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  7. Ben-AceofTech

Ben-AceofTech Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot for all of the advice guys... but I have one last question.

If I change the front and back cover of each eBook, and say add some images/ screenshots within the text, can it be considered mine? Or is it still someone else's (whoever wrote it) with my photos and new covers?

Ben-AceofTech, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  8. druidelder

druidelder Peon

Best Answers:
    If it truly is a PLR eBook then you can claim it is your for the purpose of distribution (or resale if the license allows it). However, the actual copyright is still held by either the original author or the PLR company (if they are legit). So you could put your name as the author, but you couldn't really sue for infringement if somebody copied it.

druidelder, Apr 8, 2009 IP
    Ben-AceofTech likes this.