1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question on Google AdSense Program Policies

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by payoutwindow, Aug 16, 2004.

Under Ad Placement

* Multiple ad units may be displayed on each Web site page, but no ad unit shall contain any advertisement in common with any other ad unit. Serving two or more identical ads on a single page constitutes double-serving, which Google does not support.

I am a bit confused by the above statement .. could someone please clarify.

payoutwindow, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  2. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can use adsense on multiple pages (or all as long as the page complies) but not two sets of adsense on the same page. That is my understanding.

NewComputer, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  3. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    Google's Adadvisor (kinda like googleguy) said that the statement was put into the tos in advance - in preparation for the day when they would allow multiple ad units - but that day has not come yet. Stupid lawyers.

dazzlindonna, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  4. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    As you are able to have image ads and text ads, could you have one text ad block and one image ad block on the same page?

(I'm sure you're going to say no, but just thought I'd ask)

nadlay, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No... only one set of AdSense (regardless of format) per page.

digitalpoint, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  6. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Also, I believe you are not allowed to have AdSense ads on any page with any other PPC or ads... correct?

NewComputer, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  7. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    no, that's not right.

you can have PPC ads, and you can have ads in general, they just can't be ads that "mimic" adsense (ie clicksor etc)

disgust, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  8. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    As Google says somewhere, the objection is not to multiple AdSense blocks but to multiple insertions of the same ad; *but*, since--at present--they themselves have no way of assuring that multiple ad blocks will not contain duplicate ads, the provision effectively bars multiple blocks.

When their tech improves to the point that they can assure that multiple blocks on the same page are not serving duplicate ads--something I'd reckon they're working hard on as we speak--you will be allowed to run multiple blocks.

The other-PPC-ads restriction, as best I recall without looking, is aimed at "themed" PPC ads, which I would take in a slightly broader sense than disgust does. I take it to mean that you can have static ads--ads not remotely served by a determination of page content--of any sort, but that remotely served content-based ads are forbidden, even if they pretty clearly don't look like Google ads. I am by no means sure of that interpretation, but considering how much better everyone says AdSense is than anything else, I'd be reluctant to take even a small chance.

But in doubtful cases, the easy thing is to openly ask Google, with your page URL and a description or link to the ad or ad type you propose to add to the page. Better safe than sorry.

Owlcroft, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  9. Geir

Geir Berserker

Best Answers:
    I would say this would be acceptable, as it would not violate the double serving rule:

"* Multiple ad units may be displayed on each Web site page, but no ad unit shall contain any advertisement in common with any other ad unit. Serving two or more identical ads on a single page constitutes double-serving, which Google does not support."

In reality though, I am not sure if there are enough imager ads available for most keywords to make it possible to run an ad block with only image ads.

:) Geir

Geir, Aug 16, 2004 IP