1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question For ODP Editors

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by markhutch, Dec 8, 2005.

Are you guys accepting any more blogs into your directory? I submitted several months ago and I understand from what I've been reading here that it can take a very long time to get a web site reviewed. I've been checking your blog listings for a couple of weeks now and haven't seen any new ones show up, so I was just wondering if there was a policy there of not accepting any new blogs for awhile or something like that. If this has been covered here before please excuse this repost. I'm still kind of new around here.

Mark

markhutch, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  2. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    mark...I see you checking for an answer...hopefully someone who know more about bolgs in dmoz than I do will respond. :)

Test-ok, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  3. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    mark - I had a blog added last month into DMOZ so I don't think it's a change in policy so much as probably a category that may not have received attention recently.

It might also help some of the ODP editors that participate here at DP if you list the blog and category to which it was submitted. That's not to say that you'll get a status check, but it may help determine a better answer and maybe even a course of action.

wrmineo, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  4. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry Mark for jumping in :)

One category (I won't bore you with the details) has not had any inclusions for sometime (2/3 yrs) and I was informed that due to the amount of SPAM they wouldn't be accepting anymore submissions.

This I find a shame, because the category could be improved, but because of idiots, non spam sites are not getting listed. What are your thoughts on this? Not a moan - just would like some feedback from the guys / girls in here.

DarrenC, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  5. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. If I remember right, where I submitted my blog was in a sub-directory that said "blogs" and there were letters from A-Z. I thought the letters were for the last name of the person submitting or blog name, so I submitted it under the letter "H" for my last name.

I hope this isn't the section that stopped accepting new submissions. If it is, would I be allowed to resubmit somewhere else like under news or comment? The blog contains personal opinions about various news stories of the day. If any of you guys that are editors have time, please see if my blog might be have better luck elsewhere. It's listed in my profile. Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to this thread. From some of the posts I've read about editors at ODP, I wasn't sure you would give me the time of day.

Mark

compostannie likes this.
  6. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Mark

Have you ever considered applying to become an editor? A smaller category like Computers: Internet: On the Web: Weblogs: Personal: Z, which has 27 listings, would be a suitable category for a new editor. You could get your feet wet there.

lmocr, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  7. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess I could, but I don't have any experience as an editor. A LONG LONG time ago I was a SYSOP in the CNN Forum at Compuserve. Remember them? :) Probably not, but I enjoyed doing that back before the Internet got so popular. We had chat rooms back then that ran on the old ANSI format. Anyway, if you want me to try it, I'll give it a shot. Sorry to say I've only got a couple of hours free each day. I've got a regular job at night and I don't get home till around midnight. If you're still interested, let me know.

Thanks,

Mark

8. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't have to have experience, more a desire to help build the directory :) - I'm sure you have plenty of time available to make a minimum of one edit your first month and at least one edit every four months after that :D

If you're interested, click the volunteer button at the bottom of the page you choose - and complete the form. I find it to be an enjoyable hobby - maybe you will too.

lmocr, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  9. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, I'll give it a try, thanks Imorc.

Mark

10. OrangutaN

OrangutaN Peon

Best Answers:
    try to apply in world category.
    i got accepted in dmoz in indonesia for games directory
    world category usually more easy than other category. especially the country have many undeveloped categories

OrangutaN, Dec 10, 2005 IP
  11. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    OrangutaN - applying in World is for those individuals who can fluently read/write the language they're applying in. As many native Americans can only fluently read/write English, they're restricted to Top categories.

On the other hand, someone who does not fluently read/write English should not apply for categories in Top, but instead for categories in World.

lmocr, Dec 10, 2005 IP
  12. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    I applied for local restaurants in my city. I know something about this since my wife and I eat out most days. Still haven't heard anything back, but it hasn't been that long since I sent in my application.

Mark

markhutch, Dec 10, 2005 IP