1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question About Website Branding

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Adam Sternberg, Mar 30, 2015.

I'm having some difficulty determining my best course of action for my website.

Here's the scoop...I'm a professional photographer and I have a website that looks nice but is too artsy-fartsy for my tastes. It's built in Wordpress but I don't have a good mobile version of it working and I'm tired of the template that I've been using for a few years now. I've made the decision to redo the entire website in Adobe Muse, which I'm very happy with as a web builder.

Here's the jam I'm in though. My current domain name is shotbyadam.com and I've had it for my photography business for over five years now. In that time I've rebuilt it a few times and now I'm ready to take my business to a bigger level. Over the years I've branded myself around my name, "Adam Sternberg Photography" but I really want to start thinking more like a firm and less like an individual photographer, so I changed my company name last year to "High Performance Photography" and I do own the corresponding domain name.

Here's the deal...I've got some free time over the next few weeks and I want to use it to rebuild my website. As such, I'm left with two options:

1. Should I build the new website with the new branding and new domain name and change the registry with the search engines to reflect that my business has a new domain name and redirect my old domain to the new one.

2. Should I just stay the course and build my new website on my existing name and branding?

I really want to get out of my name as my brand as I want to create a larger, corporate presence rather than just look like a freelance photographer but my biggest fear is if I go the route of Option 1, that my search engine ranks will plummet and it will take me a long time to regain all the momentum I have built up over the last several years. It's just a bit scary as I don't know which would be the smarter move for me.

Any advice you guys have on this would be appreciated. I just want to make sure that once I pull the trigger on this, it's the best way to go.

Adam Sternberg, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest that you consider a hybrid of Options #1 and #2. Keep your original website up and running, as is, and develop the new website with your more strategic domain name, etc. There is nothing saying that a business cannot have two websites. This way, as you experiment to build your new brand, you will still have the old website to be your reliable and steady option.

When it comes to marketing efforts, you may want to split up your investment to test which website is more profitable on a regular basis. The plan should be that eventually the new website takes over due to its better return on investment, but keeping the old website viable is a hedge against complete failure which can come from throwing all of your eggs in one basket.

jrbiz, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  3. Adam Sternberg

Adam Sternberg Peon

Best Answers:

Good advice. I've considered this option too but do you think that Google and other search engines may penalize me a bit for having some duplicate content on both sites or do you think it wouldn't matter much?

4. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The duplicate content penalty only applies when you have the same content twice on the same site. Not when you have the same content on another site.

Mkcoy, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I cannot comment on the SEO aspect, like @Mkcoy has, but I would suggest that you not put duplicate content on both sites (as much as can be avoided, of course.) Having different messages, pitches, etc., is what marketing testing is all about. Keep what you have on the original site and develop all new content for the new site with the idea that you will be changing it regularly to test the effectiveness of various approaches, etc.

jrbiz, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  6. Adam Sternberg

Adam Sternberg Peon

Best Answers:
    My concern with going with two sites though is that I'm REALLY sick of the site I have now. If I go with a second site, it's as if I'd have to put all my effort into building what will be like a whole new project and business, where if I redirect my existing site to a new one, I get the benefits of new branding, a new website, and the old SEO. I'm just concerned as to whether or not it's a smart move to do that. It kind of makes sense to me to do this, but I have some doubts. Any other opinions on this topic?

7. Hostwinds_Tech

Hostwinds_Tech Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Option 1 sounds like it's the option that best fits your needs. You just have to decide if it's worth the time investment for you. Best of luck!

Hostwinds_Tech, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  8. Ash Stronge

Ash Stronge Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's hard to give branding advice without actually seeing the brand and having an knowledge of the market and region, but my general rules would be to try and present a brand that is simple and easily identifiable, as well as using layouts and colours that enhance the brand. I like to associate any brands I work on with a specific action, relevant to the product or service, as I feel this evokes an emotional response in consumers that sticks in their head.

If your current branding has built up any kind of customer base, you risk loosing them with a complete overhaul. There is no guarantees that anew brand will be any better. It depends- do you have any tangible issues with your current branding?

Ash Stronge, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You need to confirm with a bona fide SEO expert that you will be able to pass along the ranking of the old site. I am not an expert in this area, but I am very skeptical that the SEO gains you have made with the original site will transfer over to a new domain.

But it also sounds like it is time for a new website. If you are tired of the old site, it may be time for it to go.

jrbiz, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  10. Adam Sternberg

Adam Sternberg Peon

Best Answers:

It's a very tough decision for me. My other concern is if I start moving everything over to an entirely new domain name, then all my emails with the old one wouldn't coincide with the new web address which is even more confusing for my customers. I'm now almost starting to think that maybe I should just leave the company name as it is and change it back to "Adam Sternberg Photography" when it's up for renewal in a few months and just stay the course with a new website on the existing domain name and not bother with the new branding for right now.

11. Ash Stronge

Best Answers:
    I wouldnt worry so much about the email. It is very easy to add forwards to your old email to go to the new one. It shouldnt really be a factor either way.

As for the SEO aspect, it will be a brand new site and new domain, so will loose the old SEO that you have built up. You can redirect all page to the new domain using 301, but it will more than likely still be seen as a completely new site, with the domain authority of a new site.

12. Ash Stronge

Best Answers:
    I double checked and it is (in thoery at least) possible to change domain and keep your SEO ranking.

The process is lined out here: http://singlegrain.com/how-to-move-domains-without-losing-seo-value/

But be warned- it is a very through and difficult process and I would be very surprised if you made it through without your ranking being at least slightly downgraded.

Good luck with your decision.

13. Adam Sternberg

Adam Sternberg Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I was kind of thinking of all that too. I think my best course of action might just be to stay the course with the existing domain, change the website on it, and just keep the company name for contracts and such.

14. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Doing the two websites is a good idea if you really want to make the switch. I'd never change a brand but that's me.
    You'd create the new site/domain/design. Refer all new customers to the new site. When you're in contact with old clients, let them know about the rebranding of your business. Send them to the new site. If they've used you before and was happy, this switch wouldn't matter to them. All they care about is your Photography ability. Send an email message to all your old clients informing them of this change.

Stop doing SEO on the first site so you can start it on the second site. You could also put a banner that's very noticeable on the old site stating your business is undergoing rebranding and please go to new domain/site. I wouldn't use the same content on the new site, just rewrite it. After say a year, most clients will only know about the new site. Then 301 redirect your old domain to the new domain. A 301 redirect does pass SEO.

In the startup phase it's very important when choosing the business name, so you don't ever have to do this.

kjh-08, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  15. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    According to Google 20 to 30% of content in the web is duplicate, which means Google are aware of it and determines which is the authentic story. If you have some duplicate on both sides, search engine will consider your site untrusted and will not rank in the search results page.

KylieSweet, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  16. Resource9

Resource9 Member

Best Answers:
    According to me, the first option sounds good. Creating a new website with a new branding strategy is surely going to work for you. However, plan things ahead of time and execute the launch of the website accordingly.

Resource9, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  17. sweetpea69

sweetpea69 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As far as I know, that's not correct. I've been slapped w/ duplicate content penalties way back when, when cutting corners...moving content from one site/domain to another.

sweetpea69, Mar 31, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  18. piapetersson

piapetersson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would suggest you to go with the second option, create a new website with existing name and brand name. Promote it well and you will surely see your name as your brand name.

piapetersson, Apr 16, 2015 IP
  19. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It will, if you just copy and paste everything, which I am sure you're not going to do.

It's not all that hard to run two sites for the same business where the content doesn't overlap too much.

You still should probably concentrate 80% of your time on the old domain and 20% on the new one. Don't tweak too much with your old domain, though. All that SEO stuff is so moody. You know how it goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

qwikad.com, Apr 20, 2015 IP
  20. Dario McNut

Dario McNut Member

Best Answers:
    You have to make sure that you will increase your popularity or your domain through the help of social media websites.

Dario McNut, Apr 20, 2015 IP