1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

question about validation and sql injection

Discussion in 'PHP' started by sudhakararaog, May 15, 2008.

A) validating username in php

as part of a registration form a user fills there desired username and this is stored in a mysql. there are certain conditions for the username.

a) the username should only begin either letters or numbers, and Underscore character
    example = user123, 123user, u_ser123, user_123 = completely case insensitive
    b) a user may choose not to have an underscore or numbers sometimes. example = username

presently my validation for username is

$username = $_POST["username"];
    if( $username == "" || !eregi("^[a-zA-Z0-9_]+$", $username) )
    {
    $error.="User name cannot be blank or has special characters";
    }

Question = how can i rewrite this php validation for username to meet the above criteria or is my validation correct

B) preventing sql injection

till now i have been capturing the form values and directly inserting into the table without considering sql injection however for this project as it is for a forum i would like to implement prevention of sql injection. from what i have read about preventing sql injection there are several steps that need to be followed,

htmlentities
    addslashes
    trim
    mysql-real-escape-string
    magic_quotes_gpc is ON
    magic_quotes_runtime is OFF
    magic_quotes_sybase is OFF

as i have not done preventing sql injection i am not sure what is the correct process.

Question =

a) please advice a step by step process of how to go about avoiding the sql injection before the insert sql query is executed starting from

$username = $_POST["username"]; till the

insert into tablename(field1, field2) values($value1, $value2) SQL query is executed which will prevent sql injection even if the user enters any special characters while filling the form.

b) should i consider the setting of magic quotes as in should it be ON or OFF or should i ignore it if so should it be
    ON or OFF

c) also with the prevention methods if a user types a special character in the data will that character be written in the table as a escaped character or how does it store those special characters

d) a very important point here, i have a feature where a user can check if a username is available or not. so while storing a username if the username is stored as john\smith in mysql and if the user is searching for johnsmith this would not match, so even in the table the username should be stored without slashes as i have to read the username and compare with what the user has typed to see if they both are same or different.

please advice if i have missed any other steps to prevent sql injection.

thanks a lot for your help.

sudhakararaog, May 15, 2008 IP
  2. Barti1987

Barti1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    a) your code should be ok.

b) just do:

$username = mysql_read_escape_string($_POST["username"]);

PHP:
    Should be enough.

Peace,

Barti1987, May 15, 2008 IP
  3. sudhakararaog

sudhakararaog Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for your reply.

with the following validation

$username = $_POST["username"];
    if( $username == "" || !eregi("^[a-zA-Z0-9_]+$", $username) )
    {
    $error.="User name cannot be blank or has special characters";
    }

this works fine however
    1) if a user types "underscore" more than once the validation is accepting 2 underscores which i do not want. i want the user to enter only 1 underscore and letters and numbers can be repeated.
    2) also if a user enters "underscore" as the first character it is still accepting. ex: _username. i do not want the underscore to be the first character

how can i rewite the above validation to mee my requirement.

sudhakararaog, May 18, 2008 IP
  4. crath

crath Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    $var = htmlspecialchars($_POST['username']);

with the htmlspecialchars() function and the things that mysql_query() does to the query, i have no problems with injection.

crath, May 18, 2008 IP