1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

question about quality

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by Lpspider, Dec 13, 2005.

Okay, I have a header/banner on one of my sites that's a .jpg - appears with a clean, crisp quality.

Now, I visit this frequently, and after a while the face gets all blurry and looks really bad.

My questions are - 1)what's causing this 2)do my visitors see the same 3) how do I fix it?

Also, would a .png take to long to load?

Lpspider, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    An image shouldn't change no matter how many times you visit... I don't quite understand what you are talking about

fryman, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  3. solaris125

solaris125 Guest

Best Answers:
    image doesn't change no matter how long or how much you load it. you might want to visit your doctor

solaris125, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  4. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Seeing an image in my site with the face changing and getting all blurry would sure make me crap my pants...

fryman, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  5. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    if you are viewing your site via aol or some dial up providers they compress the images and decrease the quality, to decrease load times

that is usually what they are doing when the "accelerate" a dial up connection

ferret77, Dec 13, 2005 IP
    corena likes this.
  6. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ah... that would be it. Dang dail-up. (no highspeed in my area:mad: )

Thank you much.

Now, for the few of the other dial-up, would making this file a png do any good, or is there nothing I can do?

Lpspider, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  7. tommie

tommie Guest

Best Answers:
    no, jpeg or gif are th best to use for banners, pending on use of colors etc.

tommie, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  8. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    jpg inherently hurts the quality of an image. png is best. But, nevertheless the image will not look worse on a webpage than it does solo unless it's getting resized on the page.

mdvaldosta, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  9. tommie

tommie Guest

Best Answers:
    You should also keep the filesize in mind imo, seeing that aol and dial up hate big pics, and if you have a colorfull image to compress .png sucks compared to jpeg

tommie, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  10. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely. You can get pretty good image quality with a jpg with a smaller file size. As a dial-up user, you'll appreciate trying to get total page size (including graphics) as low as possible. Ask yourself this: if you were a visitor instead of the site owner, would a possible small increase in image resolution be worth an extra couple of minutes for the download? or would you rather havbe the page load quickly and get to the content faster?

minstrel, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  11. corena

corena Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have the image the correct size when you add it to the site and not resize it to fit you can optimize your jpg for 56k. But a png or gif are always smaller and load faster. So if you do not want people going off to the doctor ..after visiting your site on dial up..maybe you should change your file type.:p

corena, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  12. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    this is not true... jpg is good for photo-type images while png/gif is good for images with clean lines (e.g. cartoonish type images). all image formats have their strengths and weaknesses...

daboss, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Corena, you're saying png is smaller than jpg?

I suck at graphics generally but I thought it was the other way round...

14. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    no one can answer this question because the answer is: it depends on the image...

if you take a photograph (e.g. at the beach), jpg will almost always be smaller than gifs or pngs (at the same quality settings). however, if you have an image of logos (where it's mostly vector-like lines), gifs and pngs will almost always be better of in terms of size as compared to jpgs (at the same quality settings)...

daboss, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I meant for the same image - I guess I should have specified that.

For "graphics" and logo type images, I almost always use GIF. For photos, almost always JPG. That's what I was questioning because it sounded like Corena was suggesting that the PNG format would be better for photos than the JPG.

Thanks.

16. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    nope... pngs and gifs are about the same in terms of strengths and weaknesses (i personally think png is better than gif)...

the png format was developed because a company surprised everyone by claiming rights to the gif format and wanted to charge money for its use...

daboss, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  17. corena

corena Peon

Best Answers:
    png. and gif's do not show the photo images as well..you lose color information. That is why you should always look at the image in a photo editor and have it the correct size...before you place it in the site. If you resize in a site editor..like a wysiwyg html editor..the images become pixelated and mis-shapened.. In a image editor you can decide which is better ..faster loading smaller file or a smooth edged image..jpegs will give a smoother more colorful image..but you give up load speed.

Sorry took me so long to answer.

corena, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  18. _vlada_

_vlada_ Peon

Best Answers:

Could be simple: do not use progressive compression on jpeg files. If you noticed there are jpeg files that while loading they come sharpner, Starting with blured and in phases they are filled with details in horisontal lines.

Problem could be that your browser loaded once partial jpeg and since then in your cache is that version - partial and blured.

Anyway, do not save jpeg as "progressive"..

_vlada_, Dec 15, 2005 IP
  19. theblackjacker

theblackjacker Peon

Best Answers:
    seems very strange..

theblackjacker, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  20. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's been awhile since I used AOL but this can be diabled so you will see graphics properly.

This page will show you step-by-step (pictures) how to turn it off.

http://www.saratogahosting.com/aol/

It used to annoy the heck out of me too. :D

Colleen, Dec 20, 2005 IP