1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question about Proxies and Server Security

Discussion in 'Security' started by elscapo, Sep 10, 2007.

I have a network of about 10 proxy sites which make about 2-6$/day in adsense, I just started them about 1 week ago and recently my host which offers unlimited bandwidth and resources, etc forced me to remove the proxies. They stated that the proxies used up all the server's resources and that they were a security risk. I would really like for someone to explain to me what a proxy does that is so bad that hosts dont want to be associated with them. I have a dedicated server but it has some critical sites on it so I dont want to put proxies on it if they might somehow cause problems for the other sites.

Any advice welcome :)

elscapo, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  2. jabz.biz

jabz.biz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm, I`m no security professional, but when it comes to SEO, people can hijack ones URL with proxy scripts like yours (Proxy Hacking).

As I don`t know what scripts you use...there may be different ways to add code to your site/ server.

jabz.biz, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  3. grandy

grandy Banned

Best Answers:
    Proxy sites actually used to browse other sites. What is the matter with proxies, it keep bugging your server resources whenever it keeps alive. It tunnel the whole data which is being browsed by the guy (Using your proxy). And i think you already know how tough it is to handle big images and so on for a dedicated server when the resources are limited. Moreover, these days there are hijackers who use proxies to send bots and use your proxy explicitly to get you down with your server.

So i wont suggest you to host proxies on a server where you got some good sites. You should start thinking for a perfect shared hosting provider who can really host proxies ;)

Good Luck
    Regards

grandy, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  4. elscapo

elscapo Active Member

Best Answers:
    So, a proxy could increase Server load drastically?

elscapo, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  5. davmx

davmx Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it can. My site goes down alot due to heavy traffic. Does anybody know where I can get a cheap dedicated host?

davmx, Sep 14, 2007 IP
  6. rllunzmann

rllunzmann Active Member

Best Answers:
    oh yes, proxy sites are some of the top resource hog "type" sites besides media/video streaming...

rllunzmann, Sep 14, 2007 IP
  7. InFloW

InFloW Peon

Best Answers:
    They aren't much of a security risk, but they are a prone to abuse. We have several customers doing proxy's on their dedicated servers and we're always receiving abuse complaints from upstream providers. We also receive spamcop, spamhaus warnings due to spammers using the proxy's when they send spam from from mail scripts elsewhere.

InFloW, Sep 15, 2007 IP