1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question about dynamic url using hyphen?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by mjewel, Apr 14, 2005.

I am just learning to use php and am trying to fix some coding errors on database someone else created. I think I have most of the errors fixed, but have run into something that may or may not have been done wrong. :)

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes:

The php template I'm using is set up to access a MySQL database.

<a href="http://www.foo.com/<?=$category?>/<?=$color?”>foo results</a>

Everything works perfectly and there is no problem creating a dynamic url. The problem I have is that certain entries in the MYSQL data fields must contain two words, and all these are presently connected with an underscore i.e. “steel_widgets”

An underscore works, produces a dynamic page correctly, and results in a url that looks like:

http://www.foo.com/steel_widgets/purple

For SEO purposes, I want a hyphen to show in the url instead of an underscore “steel-widgets”

Any attempt to use a hyphen instead of an underscore breaks the string.

Without using Apache Mod ReWrite, is this even possible?

mjewel, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  2. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    Both, '-' and '_' are valid URL characters and need not to be escaped, according to the HTTP spec. The dash is a special characters in regular expressions (e.g. [a-z0-9]) - may be it gets misinterpreted somewhere in your validation/redirection/etc logic.

J.D.

J.D., Apr 14, 2005 IP
  3. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    Answering your question in 13667, there are three kinds of characters in URLs:

1. Reserved: ; / ? : @ & = + $ ,

These characters delimit URL parts. If you want to use any of these characters, you must escape them

2. Unreserved: alphanum - _ . ! ~ * ' ( )

These characters have no special meaning and can be used as is. Browsers don't escape these characters

3. Excluded: control characters, space, < > # % ", { } | \ ^ [ ] `

These must be escaped as well.

J.D.

J.D., Apr 14, 2005 IP