1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question about Copyrighting

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by VEXT0R, Sep 18, 2015.

Hi everyone, sorta new to DP but I've got a question.

Is embedding video players onto your website illegal, or considered copyright? I googled around and I couldn't find anything saying it's illegal, but given a website like this for example:

watchnarutotv.com - Is what they're doing illegal or does it break any laws ? Assuming they didn't upload any episodes or videos themself and each individual player is purely embedded into the page through HTML's <iframe src=""> is that allowed, legally?

I assumed for the longest time it was legal, and while I was taking classes for web design I asked and they said embedding players is legal, not to mention websites like twitter and facebook auto-embed links, I'd assume it's legal, right? I can totally understand distributing other peoples content via torrents and uploading the content yourself being illegal, but if you're just sharing a video via embedding - is there anything wrong with that, legally speaking? Sources would be great, if you can find any.

Thx :)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    VEXT0R, Sep 18, 2015 IP
  2. ChazB

ChazB Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not an expert on video copyright and the rules do seem to change quite a lot, but I would assume this would come down to distribution laws. Naruto is a TV series and there may be rules regarding distribution for profit, international privacy laws and similar.

Most websites that stream television shows are typically illegal unless they have an official subscription service set up.

ChazB, Sep 18, 2015 IP
    deathshadow likes this.
  3. RoundShots

RoundShots Active Member

Best Answers:
    Embedding the video player itself on your site is legal, after it's about the videos licences that you need to be careful.

-Fair use
    is a legal doctrine that says you can reuse copyright-protected material under certain circumstances without getting permission from the copyright owner.

-Creative commons are also licensed contents which you are allowed to use without permissions of original authors

If a content is copyrighted and forbidden to share, then it must be written somewhere by the author.

Look there for more details : https://support.google.com/youtube/topic/2778546

RoundShots, Oct 5, 2015 IP