1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Query Strings, Long URLs, Session IDs - YIKES

Discussion in 'Google' started by FaucetDepot, Nov 26, 2008.

Hi all,
    The subpages in my site have super long query strings with session ID's right in the middle. These pages are not indexing. Are they not indexing because they are query strings, have long URLs, or have the session id's in the middle? Or is it all these reasons?

I'm not technical and my programmers are unsure how to resolve this issue. I know we can do a URL rewrite but it sounds like they are working with 404's to call the page (...something like that, I think).

Can somebody offer some technical advice I can relay to my developers on how to solve this long URL query string problem so that we can get our subpages indexed? Here is an example of one:

http://www.faucetdepot.com/faucetdepot/subcategory.asp?link={40500DE8-8B80-4AC8-AF50-51F9D8A2AC26}&categoryid=25&categoryname=Filters&subcategoryid=18&subcategoryname=Filtering%20Products

If it doesn't load, try removing the session id : "link={40500DE8-8B80-4AC8-AF50-51F9D8A2AC26}&"

Thanks for your help on this!

FaucetDepot, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  2. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes that is a brutally long url. Search engines will not index something like that. You are right in assuming the search engines don't like query strings, long urls and session ids. They are fine with 1 or 2 query strings, but any more than that and you could have indexing problems.

You really should try to ditch the session id if possible. Perhaps you could pass that from page to page with cookies instead of the query string.

Once you get rid of the session id, you could combine the category id & category name, as well as the subcategory name and id. Instead make it say something like category=25-Filters. Then use string parsing to separate the variables afterwards.

For url rewriting, I believe you need to be using an apache server. I don't know if it's possible on a windows server (which is what you're on since you use asp).

One thing that you could do instead of url rewriting is making a script to generate html files. That is only feasible if you don't update your pages very often.

vansterdam, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  3. kevinmk

kevinmk Member

Best Answers:
    don't use session ID in URLs, Seach engines are not friendly with them.
    Moreover, ASP is an old language.I think there are difficult to look for url rewrite support to asp.

kevinmk, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  4. steveb

steveb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    steveb, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  5. Next

Next Active Member

Best Answers:
    Take a look around the forum before you start a new thread. Seems way irrelevant.

Next, Nov 26, 2008 IP