1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Query regarding the 1x1 image.

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by AdamD, Jun 13, 2007.

I was contacted by a lady from ztmc.com, who wanted to display text ad's on my forum

I signed up and the ad's are now running on my forum

The ad's trace back to the digitalpoint domain, so this is why i'm posting this query here.

One of my users made a post on my forum stating...

After doing abit of digging, the only mention of the 1x1 image I can find, is that it's used for impression tracking

Is that all it does? It doesn't track the other stuff she mentioned, does it?

Best regards

AdamD

AdamD, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  2. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    It only tracks transactions dealing with your credit card and social security number. Also, tries to guess your mother's maiden name and the name of your first pet.

Also, it broke into your house last night and made a copy of your driver's license and birth certificate.

Damn images!!!

--

In all seriousness, why don't you just edit the script and remove the image? No one says it HAS to be there, but giving an idea of how much traffic you get probably helps DP figure out some things about how many ads to show etc. Secondly, your user is over-reacting to a ridiculous extent. Your browser loads the IMAGE (not bug) yes, but the referrer should be the page that the image is on, not the page you were last on. So, iirc, he is wrong on that count.

Let alone, that your forum logs IP address, Apache does, his ISP probably does. It's a fact of life, and to blow a 1x1 pixel out of proportion like this, is really like making a 1280x1024 bmp out of a 1x1 gif.

One begins to wonder what he is so worried about... that someone at digitalpoint might care what his IP address is? I would bet they don't care at all.

nddb, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Dumb suggestion.

Any alteration of the coop code will get you kicked out of the network.

fryman, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  4. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    Really? Didn't know that. I guess using pre-image code is out of the question? I mean it's a semi-new feature right?

And there are no dumb suggestions fryman... didn't you learn that in school?

Also, out of curiosity, where does it say the code can't be changed? I believe you, and don't intend on changing mine, I'm just wondering since I didn't see that in the TOS or anything?

I figure it's his loss if impressions aren't tracked, for the most part, not the co-ops.

nddb, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  5. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Impressions are part of the weight formula. Someone obviously doesn't understand the concept of a web bug.

FRYMAN...can we get an image here??? (bigger than 1x1) ;)

BlueDevilMedia, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I don't think it is in the TOS per se, but the master has posted several times about not allowing to alter the code

Here is one thread for example, but there are many times where Shawn has made pretty clear that altering the coop code is not something you can do

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=8871

fryman, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  7. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, given that, just don't worry about it. It really doesn't hurt anything and it doesn't do half the things your user is complaining about. This is not a "web bug" of any sort.

Fryman, thanks, guess I need to keep up with the forums a bit more. LOL

nddb, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Used for impression tracking.

digitalpoint, Jun 14, 2007 IP