1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

QuarkXPress - how to remove hyphens?!

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by Pixelrage, Feb 19, 2008.

Is this possible? I can't find an answer to this on the net. All I'm trying to do is get Quark to stop creating hyphens. I'm looking in the H&J menu, and see an option called "No hyphenation", but there seems to be no way to activate it, only edit/save it - and you can't seem to apply it to the document in any way. The Quark help menu, of course, is no help.

Pixelrage, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  2. eruct

eruct Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It wont do it automatically.
    Once you set 'no hyphenation' in the box you mentioned above. you then have to save it. This is a paragraph style.

Here is a good explanation of how to create and apply a style sheet to your copy.
    http://designorati.com/articles/t1/...-paragraph-style-sheets-in-quarkxpress-65.php

Note: For some reason this site, for me, shows black text on a black background ie. impossible to read, hopefully your using firefox and just go to View>Page Style>No Style...
    Unless it looks fine on your end.

eruct, Feb 20, 2008 IP
    Pixelrage likes this.
  3. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks - rep added since I still havent resolved this and time is running out. Thanks :)

Pixelrage, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  4. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    it might be worthwhile to see if there are any quark forums or any quark users congregating on IRC channels anywhere.

I know this isn't recommended place to go, but on irc.freenode.net #scribus the developers and users of the free competitor to quark 'scribus' chat. Now while they might not be super happy about quark questions, many of these people are professionals and have dealth with quark in the past and may know how to do it.

Hope that helps!

innovati, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  5. goskell

goskell Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Probably too late to answer the OP - but when the "No Hyphenation" option is locked, you should go to Edit > H&Js > Select Standard and click Edit. UNCHECK the Auto Hyphenation selection. This should fix your format to remove hyphenation.

goskell, Apr 27, 2016 IP