1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Quality of writers on Digital Point

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by wacontentcreator, Dec 11, 2012.

1. pinkstor

pinkstor Active Member

Best Answers:
    So as a guy that is always looking to hire writers, how do I find good writers here on DP? Obviously I want to pay as little as possible (to maximize my return), but it seems to me that regardless of what I pay the content is always bad enough that I need to go through it and fix it up word by word. And as long as I'm doing that, I might as well pay $1/article.

On a side note, I've always had terrible luck with contractors, so I could be (and I'm likely to be) doing something wrong.

pinkstor, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  2. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are actually good writers here on DP. The rates that these writers charge varies greatly, but there are ways to weed out applicants until you find the writer / writers that can produce the quality of work you require within your budget.

• If you are looking for articles in a particular language, (English, for example), then request the writers be from a country where English is the primary language. (USA, Canada, UK, U.S. Virgin Islands, Australia, British Virgin Islands,...)
    • Set aside a reasonable amount for a writing budget.
      What is the maximum amount you are willing to pay per word or per project and still be able to turn a profit? Too many people fall into the habit of offering a ridiculously low wage, hoping to get high quality content as cheaply as possible, only to discover had they been willing to pay a bit more, the end result would've been to their satisfaction instead of receiving low quality work that is useless or needed to be edited.

• Be reasonable with your expectations.
      If you make a post something to the effect of, "I need 15 high quality 500 word articles within the next 12 hours. Native English. Grammar must be perfect. Must pass Copyscape.", you're not going to attract the quality of writer you're looking for.

• Samples
      Carefully review samples offered by the applicant for review. Does the writer have their own website and/or online portfolio? If you request a "test" article be written specifically for you, offer to pay the writer. Keep in mind though, that some skilled writers, the type of writer you are seeking, will not be interested in writing a test/sample article, especially if they have a portfolio that clearly demonstrates their ability. Too many time wasters have come to the boards asking for a sample article to be written, some are even willing to pay for it, only for the writer to discover that the client was not what they seemed.

• Be clear about what the project is, the requirements, and what is expected.
      Too many people post on boards and freelance resources without clearly stating what the project is about, the criteria, what they expect to pay, and what is expected of the writer. The type of writer you are looking for won't even bother with these types of postings. You need to clearly define the project so the writer knows exactly what is involved.

• Be reasonable with payment terms.
      Some writers will write and accept that they will be paid when the work is completed. Other writers want a deposit or payment in full before they will begin your work. Don't automatically dismiss a writer because they request a deposit or payment in full before work begins. If you don't wish to pay in full upfront, then offer to pay 1/2 now and the remainder when the work is completed. If a writer is to be paid when the work is completed, pay them immediately upon receipt of the completed work.

• Bulk work
      A seasoned writer will not fall for the, "I have lots of articles that need to be written.", "I can keep you busy for weeks, I have so much work to offer you.", "Give me a discount for bulk orders. I have a lot of work for you.", and the likes. You'll attract the type of writer who is more interested in churning out one article after another, as fast as possible, than about the quality of each article.

Many people make offers saying they have a ton of work, looking for the cheapest price possible, when in reality, they only have 2 articles they need written. Even if you have a ton of work available for the right writer(s), begin small, like 1-5 articles and then proceed from there. If you like the work produced and think this writer is a good match, then you and the writer can hash out the terms for bulk work.

• Review forum posts
      Do a search for their username. What do their posts read like? Yes, forums are informal, but the posts a person makes does give you an insight into them. A skilled writer generally won't write like a 8 year old on forums. It'll give you some insight to as to whether English really is their primary language. (If you're seeking someone with English as their primary language.)

• How did the writer reply to your offer?
      I'm not talking about whether they used an IM protocol, PM, or email, but how did the correspondence read? Did it read as if you're communicating with an educated person? Did it read like you are communicating with a person who claims they are one thing, (where English is their primary language, for example), when in reality that's not who or what they are? Did it read like you're communicating with a professional, someone who takes their work seriously, or someone who just wants to earn beer money?

The above are just suggestions of things to consider when trying to attract the quality of writer you want. Nothing is foolproof. Some people can look awesome on paper, (the computer screen), but prove to be not what you needed. Some people have inflated egos too, charging way more than they are worth. Other people charge less than what they are worth in order to earn more work. Just simply do your homework, due diligence, before hiring anyone.

TextServices, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  3. alasdairsim

alasdairsim Active Member

Best Answers:
    TextServices, I would like that post if i could. Some really good information there.

One big change I have noticed since the Google updates is more people are looking for quality over quantity now which is good. In my opinion it is much easier to write 5 high quality articles than 20 repetitive and low quality ones.

alasdairsim, Feb 18, 2013 IP