1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Quality of writers on Digital Point

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by wacontentcreator, Dec 11, 2012.

So I just joined the forum recently and the thing that jumped out at me the most is the quality of writers on the forum. For example, when I look at the content creation sub-section (the one where people hire writers and writers advertise their services), I am amazed at the low level of writing I see. Someone will post needing a writer of excellent quality and the responses I read are sometimes unreadable or someone will advertise their services and the grammar is all wrong.

Is this usually the case on the forum? I have only been here for about 2 weeks, so I was just wondering if that is normal or if it's just something happening right now.

wacontentcreator, Dec 11, 2012 IP
  2. awundrin

awundrin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Better get used to it! :) Just kidding, kinda. DP has been infiltrated by thousands of people who have found out this forum is free to use and that there's money to be made here. And yes, this is the new 'norm' here which is very unfortunate for those of us who are long-term members and who've been able to pick up gigs easily here in the past.

awundrin, Dec 11, 2012 IP
    lpstong likes this.
  3. Surminga

Surminga Member

Best Answers:
    It is somewhat annoying, I tend to spend a lot less time on DP because of it - I haven't been a member for a long time but when I first started visiting DP it was great, now its very ..... not so fun and pleasant to be around because of the crappy and quick writing and replies to forum posts.

I would go crazy if i spent all my time replying and moaning about the grammatical and spelling errors, but you get use to it or head elsewhere.

Anyone got suggestions how to fix this ? Or have ways been tried out and failed ?

Surminga, Dec 11, 2012 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Some of the so called writers are not natural speakers of English. Their command of English is so weak that it appears that they don't understand how bad it translates. These "writers" feel that if they go low enough on the price per word, that you will give them the work.
    If you question their English they claim they will "fix" it all by using Google Translate or spellcheck......laughable.:)

Spoiltdiva, Dec 11, 2012 IP
    funmom91 likes this.
  5. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, the skilled writers, the ones worth every penny, often get overlooked in the beginning because they don't offer the cheapest rate and/or the fastest turn around time. Eventually, buyers get tired of the garbage they receive and they begin to get a little more selective in who they hire and they are willing to pay what the writer is worth.

Good quality writers are present on this forum. You just won't see many of them posting in threads where it is obvious the buyer wants high quality, lots of research, and a 2 hour TAT, and at the cheapest price possible. The skilled writers who know they are worth every penny, will not whore themselves out for ridiculously low rates, even temporarily, to attract buyers.

Good writers that offered their services at ridiculously low rates soon begin to realize that they are worth much more than what they are actually charging, but as soon as they raise their rates, they lose clients and new clients are harder to get. They either stick it out or quit and move on.

Average and below average writers, even those who call themselves writers because they can form basic sentences and rely on tools, will either be successful at landing those clients who look at price over quality or disappear because they fail at landing enough clients because competition is fierce amongst the lower skilled writers.

There are buyers who post on the board seeking high quality writers who state in their post that they won't consider anyone who doesn't have a high score on DP. Sure, a buyer can weed out some of the garbage writers this way, but they can also close doors to skilled writers, those who produce high quality work and are professional, simply because they don't have a high score due to being new to the forum or they haven't been selected because they won't offer the cheapest rate. A high score is awesome to have, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. There are poor quality writers with higher scores simply because they were hired by buyers who were more concerned with price over quality.

TextServices, Dec 11, 2012 IP
  6. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    There's a pretty simple answer to the problem :D

PassGoSEO, Dec 12, 2012 IP
  7. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Outside of what has already been written in the thread about finding quality content writers here on DP we also have to look at the buyers who hire as well. Like the phrase goes, you get what you pay for.

It is very sad to see a mass gathering of people who think they can write or are just making a quick penny....to make a living. We should not always blame the non native speakers on poor quality content either. Those who hire can easily write the articles themselves if they are looking for 100 - 500 word articles. As far as forum posts, those who hire should be specific in their OP and ask for examples if necessary. I use to own a forum posting service and would google the user and any content they provided as an example of their work. I did find a few copy and paste jobs and another who stole someone else's work.

lpstong, Dec 12, 2012 IP
  8. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    Nicely put. Although sometimes you don't even get what you pay for. Often, with cheap content, if you pay peanuts, you don't even get monkeys. Whereas for a few bucks more, you could have something of very high quality and originality.

PassGoSEO, Dec 12, 2012 IP
  9. Petro_

Petro_ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately it's normal here.

Petro_, Dec 13, 2012 IP
  10. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lol, people don't come to DP for quality, they come to outsource/cheap work.

One problem with DP is many people here English is not their first language so people run scraped articles though spinners and customers do not know how to tell, so they buy articles for $1 and think they are getting a deal. You can pay a little more for someone to sit down and write an article but usually English is not the first language so you end up correcting a good amount of mistakes.

If you want quality you hire they guy a crossed town if you want cheap you outsource on a global market to someone that can live on $5 an hour or less.

averyz, Dec 13, 2012 IP
  11. melprise

melprise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Many writers are also just starting out their freelancing work with DP, because it's free to join, and uncomplicated to start compared to other forums and sites. As for charging peanuts and not even getting monkeys, it's just as common to see buyers paying inches, to get a yard's worth of work. Or rejecting rewrites that are 90% unique, because they are not 100% unique. he issue of quality cuts both ways.

melprise, Dec 13, 2012 IP
  12. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's easier to stomach once (if?) you realize you're not competing with those 'writers' because the kind of buyers they cater to are not in your targeted market.

Senobia, Dec 15, 2012 IP
  13. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    Fairly siad. An objective measure of quality would probably be widely appreciated.

PassGoSEO, Dec 15, 2012 IP
  14. jimwriter

jimwriter Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The same case applies to natives as well. I have hired a couple at Odesk and Elance--just to see how natives write--and I was shocked. The grammar was poor and the flow of ideas incomprehensible. My point: Not all non-natives have a poor command of English. On the contrary, some write better than the so-called native speakers.

jimwriter, Dec 17, 2012 IP
  15. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "native" is a big marketing term on DP don't be fooled so easy.

averyz, Dec 17, 2012 IP
  16. MagicMonkey

MagicMonkey Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps the sorriest part of this argument is how pointless buying cheap articles really is. Google has absolutely smashed poorly written content - whether its used for linkbuilding or on site (if you don't believe me read the Google T&C;s) so half the reason the buyers have to keep buying rubbish is they aren't going to make any money off the first load of rubbish they bought.

As to DP in general there are some great writers here amongst the clutter and I got my start in the business thanks to this forum so it will forever be dear to me. However, the reality is that it is very seldom I stumble across any jobs that I think the client will even consider my rates; let alone pay them!

MagicMonkey, Dec 17, 2012 IP
  17. Wulkanen

Wulkanen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I actually asked for a sample before buying someones "limited time" articles and it was just laughable. He couldn't constuct a single sentence right,
    and when I told him that I didn't want to order anything he simply told me that Microsoft Word said his articles were correctly written...

If people do not have any experience in writing articles, press releases, landing page texts or whatever then they shouldn't. Unfortunately the
    worst quality articles have been by people from India, I don't know why but they always give me crap content. -.-

Wulkanen, Dec 17, 2012 IP
  18. Seemydeath

Seemydeath Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome to 2012..

I'm sure each and every writer who submits their advertisement as a top article writer believe they are. Many articles submitted to me by writers are indeed very good. The content is good but the format is horrible. I am very educated, but horrible when it comes to formatting an article appropriately. It's one of the reasons it's good to have a savvy editor/proofer at your fingertips. It's just the nature of the business in my opinion.

I've see major news agencies put out substandard articles that wouldn't cut a 5th grade exam. I just believe the standard of the content being put out has decreased. Online the case is even more so. Readers have become accustomed to reading average content. Until the bar is raised this will be the norm i fear. Who am I to judge anyway I write like a third grader :)

Seemydeath, Dec 17, 2012 IP
  19. Kris Reid

Kris Reid Active Member

Best Answers:
    Now you can go cheap and keep the same high quality. The amazing article content generation system, Ardor Content.
    It will generate a quality unique content, transform it to a template matching your website and upload it to your server.
    You'll get the quality you need at a price you can afford

Kris Reid, Dec 17, 2012 IP
  20. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    Post up an example of your generated content, and I'll check it for you.

BTW, when I tried to sign up to test your system, I got this:-

[h=2]HTTP ERROR 500[/h]Problem accessing /app/register. Reason:

org.apache.commons.mail.EmailException: Sending the email to the following server failed : mail.ardorcontent.com:25
    [h=3]Caused by:[/h]
    java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.commons.mail.EmailException: Sending the email to the following server failed : mail.ardorcontent.com:25 at com.ardor.email.internal.EmailServiceImpl.send(EmailServiceImpl.java:296) at com.ardor.email.internal.EmailServiceImpl.send(EmailServiceImpl.java:268) at com.ardor.email.internal.EmailServiceImpl.sendVerification(EmailServiceImpl.java:114) at com.ardor.web.servlet.RegisterServlet.doPost(RegisterServlet.java:160) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:755) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:848) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:558) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:488) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:119) at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:520) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:233) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:973) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:417) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:192) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:907) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:110) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:346) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:442) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:941) at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:801) at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AsyncHttpConnection.handle(AsyncHttpConnection.java:51) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:586) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:44) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:598) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:533) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)Caused by: org.apache.commons.mail.EmailException: Sending the email to the following server failed : mail.ardorcontent.com:25 at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.sendMimeMessage(Email.java:1242) at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.send(Email.java:1267) at com.ardor.email.internal.EmailServiceImpl.send(EmailServiceImpl.java:294) ... 27 moreCaused by: javax.mail.NoSuchProviderException: smtp at javax.mail.Session.getService(Session.java:798) at javax.mail.Session.getTransport(Session.java:720) at javax.mail.Session.getTransport(Session.java:660) at javax.mail.Session.getTransport(Session.java:640) at javax.mail.Session.getTransport(Session.java:697) at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:192) at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:124) at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.sendMimeMessage(Email.java:1232) ... 29 more
    org.apache.commons.mail.EmailException: Sending the email to the following server failed : mail.ardorcontent.com:25 at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.sendMimeMessage(Email.java:1242) at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.send(Email.java:1267) at com.ardor.email.internal.EmailServiceImpl.send(EmailServiceImpl.java:294) at com.ardor.email.internal.EmailServiceImpl.send(EmailServiceImpl.java:268) at com.ardor.email.internal.EmailServiceImpl.sendVerification(EmailServiceImpl.java:114) at com.ardor.web.servlet.RegisterServlet.doPost(RegisterServlet.java:160) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:755) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:848) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:558) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:488) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:119) at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:520) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:233) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:973) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:417) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:192) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:907) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:110) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:346) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:442) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:941) at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:801) at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AsyncHttpConnection.handle(AsyncHttpConnection.java:51) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:586) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:44) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:598) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:533) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)Caused by: javax.mail.NoSuchProviderException: smtp at javax.mail.Session.getService(Session.java:798) at javax.mail.Session.getTransport(Session.java:720) at javax.mail.Session.getTransport(Session.java:660) at javax.mail.Session.getTransport(Session.java:640) at javax.mail.Session.getTransport(Session.java:697) at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:192) at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:124) at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.sendMimeMessage(Email.java:1232) ... 29 more
    javax.mail.NoSuchProviderException: smtp at javax.mail.Session.getService(Session.java:798) at javax.mail.Session.getTransport(Session.java:720) at javax.mail.Session.getTransport(Session.java:660) at javax.mail.Session.getTransport(Session.java:640) at javax.mail.Session.getTransport(Session.java:697) at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:192) at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:124) at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.sendMimeMessage(Email.java:1232) at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.send(Email.java:1267) at com.ardor.email.internal.EmailServiceImpl.send(EmailServiceImpl.java:294) at com.ardor.email.internal.EmailServiceImpl.send(EmailServiceImpl.java:268) at com.ardor.email.internal.EmailServiceImpl.sendVerification(EmailServiceImpl.java:114) at com.ardor.web.servlet.RegisterServlet.doPost(RegisterServlet.java:160) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:755) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:848) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:558) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:488) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:119) at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:520) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:233) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:973) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:417) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:192) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:907) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:110) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:346) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:442) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:941) at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:801) at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AsyncHttpConnection.handle(AsyncHttpConnection.java:51) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:586) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:44) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:598) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:533) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
    [HR][/HR]Powered by Jetty://

PassGoSEO, Dec 18, 2012 IP