1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Q&A software

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by kaarelveike, Apr 25, 2013.

Hi,

I am searching for some simple Questions and Answers type of forum software. Something that's simple, yet powerful enough to apply the style shown on the samples you see below.

The closest to what I want is the Yootheme Support forum which turned out to be a custom solution.

Second option I have been thinking of is Question2Answer which is a free open source software and it would be easy to integrate with WordPress. I would love to have that simple WP admin interface and thus this is probably the one we are going for but it does't still feel 100% right.

Do you have any suggestions? I have searched a lot but maybe haven't come across the one and olny yet!

Thanks,
    Kaarel

[​IMG][​IMG]

kaarelveike, Apr 25, 2013 IP
  2. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What you want is Vanilla. http://vanillaforums.org/

Get the free version. It is about the most basic forum software there is, yet still powerful with a community that provides addons and themes. Check out the community support forums on the website. They have exactly like what you want with a question and answer type forum. There are addons to Vanilla that allow users to select the "best answer" in a topic. All you would need to do is add this to your forum, create the style, and change the topic button to say "Ask A Question" or something besides "Start a Discussion".

With any other platform, like vBulletin or phpBB, you will be stripping down all the features to create the look you want. With Vanilla, it is already bare-bones so you build it up the way you want.

r3dt@rget, Apr 26, 2013 IP
  3. CharlesD

CharlesD Peon

Best Answers:
    Kaarel,
    I think you are doing it right by going with more of a question&answer forum format as opposed to a standard forum. Doing so helps bring the good usable information to the front through voting and management instead of it getting lost in a bunch of useless conversation or incorrect answers. I know of a few Q&A programs that I researched in the past that are very reasonable or even free. Some of them even offer widgets that you can add onto your existing site or forum if you currently have one and don't want to start over. The are fully serviced online, can be set up quickly, and you don't have to do any coding. I would suggest taking a look at these before making a final decision:

http://answerbase.com
    http://answerhub.com
    http://qhub.com

I hope this helps out with your decision.

Regards, Charles

CharlesD, Apr 29, 2013 IP
  4. kaarelveike

kaarelveike Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi, Charles

These are really great solutions but the problem is that the content and code is not hosted in our server. I would like to own the content and maybe some day if I need to move or upgrade again i could use the best posts. Though these solutions that you suggested are really attractive and functionality is great, the core philosophy is just wrong.

I have checked the Vanilla's free version and this one seems pretty good. I need to ask some developers for estimates of converting this design into code.

kaarelveike, Apr 29, 2013 IP
  5. Markwebuk

Markwebuk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well Charles if you are more comfortable with WordPress (as I assume reading your first post in this thread), you might want to give a try using Q&A Lite for WordPress. This is a free version, if you like it, you may choose to upgrade.
    Refer : premium.wpmudev.org/project/qa-wordpress-questions-and-answers-plugin-lite/

Markwebuk, Apr 30, 2013 IP
  6. CharlesD

CharlesD Peon

Best Answers:
    Kaarel,
    It appears that my above mentioned options are not what you are looking for. Not to annoy you but just so you know, even though your content is hosted on their servers, if you do decide to change or move, at least one of the options and maybe all of them will allow you to download all of your content in an organized Excel sheet that can easily be uploaded to another program. You own the content.
    Regards, Charles

CharlesD, May 1, 2013 IP
  7. kaarelveike

kaarelveike Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Charles

How could you possibly annoy me with trying to help me? I am glad someone pays attention and offers solutions.

I actually did not think of that before. But I still feel the same way. I have invested in this specific project few hundred thousend euros and the measure in value is in the content and the site itself and its history and position in the market. All the money that went into coding and technical solutions (It was custom built social networking site for parents) has lost its value for me. But the users and the content remain. I would like to find something that would stick for a long time. And maybe could adapt to whatever changes are needed when the community demands it or as the times move on.

Vanilla seems quite ok but i am not still 100% sure. If i only could find the solution that the yootheme support forum has :)

kaarelveike, May 1, 2013 IP