1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

python mysql db migration script?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by CarpCharacin, Jun 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Active Member

Best Answers:
    How am i going to write the script? How is an import script written? Could i customise the ipb 1.2 script and then just use that?

CarpCharacin, Jun 29, 2016 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You might be able to learn some strategies from that old script but you won't be able to use it.
    I don't know python at all but you're going to need to do a lot of testing and practice. Expect to be deleting and refreshing databases a lot.
    Hint: make a master and work on copies. It is quicker to copy a master database than to reupload the scripts that create it.

This is, possibly, another case of writing a business plan before buying a business. When you bought those databases you were probably that porting them over would be easy and you took that advice at face value. This conversation beforehand might have made you think twice about the project.

sarahk, Jun 29, 2016 IP
  3. CarpCharacin

Best Answers:
    I did not buy the database. They are owned by a guy and the other guy that i know plans to buy it. He owns the smaller database that runs on phpbb. They are not my databases.

4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You dodged a bullet then. I'd leave it up to them unless they are planning to pay you for each and every hour you spend working on the port.

sarahk, Jun 29, 2016 IP
  5. CarpCharacin

Best Answers:
    I have a duty to import that forum!

6. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You probably don't. You might want to, to keep history and such, but no duty. If you have the free time, and maybe could use the experience, but all means, but if it's just a favor I would reconsider, or at least say that you'll do it, but that they'll have to pay you a bit of cash.

PoPSiCLe, Jun 29, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  7. CarpCharacin

Best Answers:
    I am going to do it for no cash. I will post the importer here when i am done. I will post the db structure once the guy has the database. I have free time and i could use the experience. I have a duty. It was one of the first fish forums ever, so i have a duty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.