1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Putting Way Too Much Emphasis on Obama Being Black

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by aletheides, Aug 28, 2008.

Can these democratic party people please put more emphasis on Obama as a person and less on the color of his skin ?

What's the point of talking about how unimportant skin color is and then turning around and talking about how proud they are to have a black person be the democratic nominee ?

It's getting really ridiculous.

And I'm really tired of hearing funk music at the convention - God this is stupid.

aletheides, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  2. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    What about obama's white side? He is 50/50

homebizseo, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  3. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    Kinda have to agree with this one here. I am trying to tune in to hear about politics, not to hear about his race blah blah blah....

I fully understand that this is a first, and it's great that they recognized that, but now it really is time to get back to the task at hand.

I'm quite sick of the press having to interview every major black figure around today about Obama's race and not talking about what I want to know: What does he stand for???

Everyone keeps saying that race shouldn't be an issue, so let's talk SO MUCH about it being a non-issue that we turn it into an issue. Makes absolutely NO sense to me....

Firegirl, Aug 28, 2008 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  4. aletheides

aletheides Banned

Best Answers:
    lol I know isn't it stupidly ironic

5. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Normally I would agree with you. But if you know ANYTHING about American history...even recent history, you'd probably realize what a big deal this is.

Crazy_Rob, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  6. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.​

Martin Luther King - spoken in Washington, DC, on August 28, 1963
    Hmm, that would be 45 years ago today. Yeah, I would say we have come a long way since that day 45 years ago.

browntwn, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  7. aletheides

aletheides Banned

Best Answers:
    This is the catch 22.

8. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Not if you also understand what a catch 22 is. :p :p :p

Crazy_Rob, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  9. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't see a disconnect, myself.

One can support or dismiss the man, for his campaign, his policies, his credentials, his character.

And one can also be proud that for the first time in American history, a credible candidate of black ancestry stands for the Democratic nomination for President. Symbols do matter; history is marked by memorable moments, forever fixed in time. I have to say, however I feel about the man's candidacy, I found it moving, simply on the face of it, to see him stand for the nomination. 232 years, all we've been through, and whether he wins or loses, may it be a harbinger of new possibilities for everyone living in our land.

It was never why I supported him, and isn't in my mind now. But I am happy for ourselves, as a nation, that such a thing has taken place. I would have felt the same for Hillary Clinton, though I never supported her. I'd feel the same for any number of people, whether I supported them as candidates or not.

I re-read the words of Dr. King that Browntwn was kind enough to post. I can never be anything other than deeply moved by the promise contained in them.

northpointaiki, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  10. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes lets not talk about color. Lets talk about the major banks and special interest groups that are hedging their support for each candidate. They will not lose no matter who wins .;)

pingpong123, Aug 29, 2008 IP
  11. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    special interest groups hold the candidates like puppets. Money talks.

homebizseo, Aug 29, 2008 IP
  12. N_F_S

N_F_S Active Member

Best Answers:
    I saw his speech today, hes a great orator I must say.

N_F_S, Aug 29, 2008 IP
  13. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    It is a big deal... but it shouldn't be.

PHPGator, Aug 29, 2008 IP
  14. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    Oh come on. How about the COUNTRY MUSIC they played at the convention. If anything the Obama campaign has worked hard to not overly associate Obama as a "black candidate." Remember, he is also half white and he was in fact raised by his white mother, not his black father (who he barely knew.)

Zibblu, Aug 29, 2008 IP
  15. baconbits

baconbits Banned

Best Answers:
    No they cant because otherwise Obama would stand no chance.

baconbits, Aug 29, 2008 IP
  16. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Yep, couldn't agree more. Outside of his black skin, which has always been the fast path to ascendant positions in American politics, Obama has zero going on.

northpointaiki, Aug 29, 2008 IP
    Crazy_Rob likes this.
  17. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Am I reading that correct?

homebizseo, Aug 29, 2008 IP
  18. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    Sarcasm.

It's a ridiculous statement to say that Obama is doing well because he's black. His skin color may help him with some segments of the population but it also hurts him with others.

Zibblu, Aug 29, 2008 IP
  19. ThoughtPunk

ThoughtPunk Active Member

Best Answers:
    if people would quit bringing up the race issue it would pass like a leaf in the wind.

ThoughtPunk, Aug 29, 2008 IP
  20. ThoughtPunk

ThoughtPunk Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its a wonder why the corrupt media keeps bringing it up.. question everything.

ThoughtPunk, Aug 29, 2008 IP