1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Putting Together Specific Terms Of Service

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by digitalpoint, Dec 22, 2004.

I'm working on putting together some specific terms of service for the ad network...

Mostly normal stuff... no cloaking, no hiding ads, etc.

With all the copy-cat ad networks popping up now, one thing that is going to be part of the TOS is that people need to pick the co-op ad network or the others.

So I'm sure we will loose some of the more spammy sites by forcing people to choose, but it needs to be done I think.

It's also not something I'm willing to play cat and mouse with people about. Which means if you run another network's ads at the same time, your sites will be dropped from the co-op ad network and not allowed back in the future. I don't have time to "warn" people about violating the terms once they are in effect. So if you choose to be part of multiple ad networks, your best option is to remove the co-op ad network ads first.

It of course works in reverse as well, members of other ad networks will not be allowed to join this one.

The co-op ad network is all about quality, and some people are already turning their sites into spam looking sites by joining every ad network they can find, and this is not what this network is about.

Of course this does not apply to contextual ad systems like AdSense.

digitalpoint, Dec 22, 2004 IP
  2. Fishing Forum

Fishing Forum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you are right - spot on post

Fishing Forum, Dec 22, 2004 IP
  3. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    well it was bound to happen - exclusivity has its price - I will think about if I'm prepared to pay it and lose choice or loose "quality".

I thought it was the SE's task to kill sp^^y sites not the task of a supporting site but..

It would make more sense to me to restrict the amount of ad's shown
    a) by weight (a smal site can still show 5 ad's)
    b) competition choice

But it's your network - my ultimate choice
    M

expat, Dec 22, 2004 IP
  4. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, you don't want to have 10+ links with two or more networks being shown. If you have one network that has quality members and good verification, and the other lets any and all sites in, you could be sending outbound links to bad sites (sites flagged bad in google) and that throws the reputation of the DP network down. With the way these kinds of networks work, it would be hard to tell the difference between the ads for each network, and could ruin the integrity of the DP network.

Infiniterb, Dec 22, 2004 IP
  5. thebassman

thebassman Asleep at the Keyboard

Best Answers:
    What if we sell our own links privately? That's fine, right?

thebassman, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  6. expat

Best Answers:
    No difference to a resource page or links or whatever

Its a very arrogant view you take - some sites done by "kids" not only outperform established sites their content is actually much better...

I have high regards for S / DP and the intentions but the growth of the network will push the responsibility further down the line and make it more complex to keep a certain level.

As said before I do not belive in exclusivity or exclusion just because...

And I would be interested in your definition of quality.

M

expat, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  7. rustybrick

rustybrick User ID 3

Best Answers:
    Trust is important. DP I trust, copy cats I do not. Exclusivity to join the network would be nice. If you join this network, you can not join a copy cat.

rustybrick, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  8. expat

Best Answers:
    Your results on Google so can't be shown on Y or M than, nice idea....

M
    PS Just don't tell me they are no copy cats MSn at least admitted it.

expat, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  9. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It doesn't have anything to do with "copy cats". Just people voluntarily turning their own sites into massive link farms. Those sites hurt the overall quality of the ad network. Such a rule doesn't prevent it completely, but it definitely curbs it. If anyone can think of other specific items to key on to key curb it, I'm all ears.

I have no problem with people selling their weight. The "official" TOS will address this a little bit though. Basically just the need for the seller to inform the buyer that they have no control over the weighting system, and any guarantee of anything or sale is strictly between the buyer and the seller. There is a lot of buying/selling going on, and I don't want it to get to the point of people coming to me complaining about something to do with it.

digitalpoint, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  10. msaad

msaad Peon

Best Answers:
    Well said, shawn.
    But, I think bassman wasn't talking about selling weight. He was talking about selling a link on your site that shows in additional to the links of the coop network. Would that be alright? This is important for me too.. :eek:

msaad, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Oh yeah... I don't care about that.

12. expat

Best Answers:
    Set a maximum average outbound links this network want's to see on pages and I have no problem to subscribe to this (if I subscribe - or get thrown out - whatever comes first)

Personally I don't think that an average of abot 15-20 non internal links on a page equate to a link farm.

Example:
    5 are from DP 3-5 are from tests with others 3-5 are own adserver injects and 5 are ADS.

OK OK and yes there are a couple of pages old resource / links with up to 40.

But that's me - and yes who am I?

[​IMG]
    PS maybe I shouldn't write anything untill well into new year......[​IMG]

expat, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  13. Sven

Sven Peon

Best Answers:
    Confused. Can this be clarified. What can we, can't we do. Looks to me like you're saying ok to selling links on other networks but not participating in them :confused:

Where are we drawing the line here? So far I see

polish thing
    yourcan
    ad-netword clone that is "catagory" based

What consitutes breaking of the rules.

I *really* want to ensure that I am not breaking rules I care for what we have going on here. :)

Sven, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  14. Sven

Sven Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn, can you let us users know when it is "in effect" and where the rules are?

I want to be happy in the knowledge that I'm above board :)

Sven, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The biggest thing that will affect people will be the exclusivity of the ad networks. Meaning if you participate in similar ad networks, your site will stop validating at some point.

16. Sven

Sven Peon

Best Answers:
    But this is where I'm confused. Where is the line drawn. What constitutes another ad network?

Sven, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  17. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Anything that is run in a similar way I suppose would be the best way to describe it. If you have a question about any specific one, let me know and I'll tell you which ones would constitute another ad network.

18. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Is the problem that there are too many outbound links per page or that people belong to another network? Personally, I don't have any interest in running more than one set of network ads on any of our sites, but I don't really know the difference between running 2 networks with 10 outbound links per page vs. having DP coop w/5 outbounds and another 5 outbound links per page that I may be selling (which I don't do btw, but sounds like there are many people here that do).

Don't get me wrong, I want to preserve quality in the network, it just sounds like we are really talking about some kind of exclusivity agreement here. You run the DP coop ads or you run someone else's. I would rather just call it like it is and move on....if that IS what we are talking about here.

chachi, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  19. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Shawn, I'm not sure I understand this.

If the argument is about 'spammy' sites (excess linkage), then simply set a limit and check the number of outbound links on a page and leave it there. WM's want more options, MORE distribution, not restrictions. All they need are the controls to manage their choices, like discreet URL filters etc.

My other concern is web-rings, banner exchanges, affilliate feeds, and the various other usual forms of networked advertising. Are you going to disallow these too ? How about brightcorp ? What amounts to networked ?

The notion of weighting & networking *does* apply to all forms of distributed advertising, so what *exactly* amounts to running in a simillar way ? - weighting derived from a pagecount and PR ?

There's no real reason to limit the benefits a WM can see through participation in multiple networks when 'spamminess' can obviously be assessed.

At the very least, WM's need more options and wider distribution, not restrictions that prevent them from leveraging the network because their marketing plans extend beyond it.

You've said yourself that the network is about improving rankings.
    Placing these limitations on WM's is only going to undermine that.

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  20. Sven

Sven Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree.

Is it a ban just because they've copied your idea or is it about outbound links? If another network isn't /spammy/ is that a green light, or?

Sven, Dec 24, 2004 IP