1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Putting Adsense on News pages! Is it allowed?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by john269, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    It will depend on the ToS of the respective feeds, but I must admit that they have an interesting implementation of the Adsense code. I wonder if they are premium publishers.

- That's something I haven't seen before.

Crusader, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  2. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have checked allheadlinenews.com and it would cost me around $2,490 a month to use their news if I wanted it from about 9 - 10 of their topics.

That is rather expensive if you are not making much.

I need to find cheaper news providers. I prefer to pay for it as I will also get the full article on my site plus I know that I can put Adsense on the same page without having to worry about getting sued.

john269, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  3. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    My response to putting Google ads on news sites is don't do it. I have an entertainment site and I put Google ads on my news page. If I post a news story about murder, mayhem, rape, arrest, shootings, or any story using a kill word - the ads won't show. I've noticed the big sites don't put ads on their front news page. But they do place ads on their entertainment and lifestyle pages.

NewToAllThis, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  4. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    Just wanted to add that my ads won't show for a couple of days after I remove the offending news story. It doesn't help to use section targeting either. I've tried that. :eek:

NewToAllThis, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  5. Claymation

Claymation Peon

Best Answers:
    They appear to be a premium publisher, John.
    All kinds of perks being offered up in those ad units.
    No "Gooooooogle", or even a link stating they are Google Adsense ads.

Claymation, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  6. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was interested in Crusader's comments about being careful and read some of his linked stories. One mentioned how the new service (AFP) that sued Google got blacklisted by Google so AFP customers (pay AFP to syndicate) are now severly damaged by loss of Google traffic. I agree with the authors comment that AFP was just trying to extort some money from Google.

I supply traffic to a number of news sources (I display there RSS feeds with links), if any of them want complain or sue, I'll just switch to another source. I'd also argue that I generate the traffic to my site and give them some at no marginal cost to them so why should they worry that I may be paying for my hosting and the newspapers I buy with ad revenue.

Are there any cases of news source suing little web site owners?

tbarr60, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  7. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The thing is, you may be using their news and be small one minute, but most people build a site to make money and to become big. That what they try to head for. Anyway, I would also like to know of any other cases about people get sued.

I have a feeling that because poeple know that Google's big they think they can get money from them for nothing.

john269, Sep 3, 2006 IP
  8. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the point with AFP and Google - and similar cases - is of course that Google and all other major SE do make lots of money on the news they use from NEWS agencies. Google news without the news pics and news snipplets is less than half as attractive. no one ever would visit G news without the remote served original RSS feeds - adn G might get millions of hits less per months and lose surfers compared to other major SE. finally the value of SEs and their stock market price depends in hits - no matter HOW the hits are creasted, no matter if the "hitter" is happy or not.

there are certainly large number of visitors who login to the SE News page directly to see the daily news and thus such surfers add substantially to the value of a SE

in addition such surfers may add additional income by clicking on advertisement shown directly or on linked pages when viewing the news.

News agencies are creators investing Billions all together to GET the news, while G and other SE just spend a few minutes to SSI insert thier news .... to make MORE money using free resources.

it is finally a copyright question AND a honesty quesiton - those who invest their life and resources into a product will defend their product to get some $ in return - how else could they invest in future services. www news have long time already become a partner / competitor from TV news - hence TV income by serioius professional news agencies no longer is the only way to cover their huge logistical expenses.

that is the reason why so many RSS directories charge subscription fee for their RSS feeds.

hans, Sep 3, 2006 IP
  9. ChasLaser

ChasLaser Peon

Best Answers:
    For me, most ads are about "RSS & News Feeds" on my pages with news feeds. Even with section targeting these pages have never been a good producer.

ChasLaser, Sep 3, 2006 IP
  10. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ChasLaser

you didn't give your URL of your news pages, hence just a guess:

may be you have too many times the word news feeds on your page
    or
    you have RSS icons with the default RSS alt-tag text

make sure you have the actual titles of the feeds and content of the feeds SSI'd by NON-javascript - hence you should use PHP- or CGI-SSI - to make the feed text part of the actual page content..

also make sure in the meta tags title and description you have actual description of the news TOPICS rather than the word RSS or feeds.

may be you post your URL HERE and i have a look at your page to see if any other reason exists for having mostly RSS feeds related adsense.

hans, Sep 3, 2006 IP