1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Publish stuff remotely - how do I (not RSS)?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by niknakgroup, Aug 9, 2005.

Hello - I'm really hoping some nice person can help me figure this one out. I have a series of categories, each with 10 seperate pages which will be updated on a very regular basis. I want to be able to have the content of all 10 pages within a category visible remotely on other peoples sites. The problems I have are that the code the other sites need to add should be as simple as possible so that my content goes to as many people as possible and that my content will change at least twice daily. Also, a site will only subscribe to ONE category, so I only need one category published to each site subscribing.

I have examined rss feeds, but this would involve the other sites setting up 10 seperate feeds as well as an index page - 11 pages is way too much and most sites wont bother, so that idea was dead in the water.

I looked into iframes, but from what i understand there are a number of issues with search engines indexing content inside an iframe, and the content NEEDS to be visible to the main robots, and indexed as the content of each of the subscriber sites - if this does not happen, my content is virtually useless!!

I have looked at php includes, and to be honest this seems the most promising approach, but it then means I limit the availablility of my content to sites who have php capability, and the code they need to add is slightly more complicated.

Does anybody have any advice as to how to make any of the above three ideas functional and practical, as well as simple for self installation of the site owners, or perhaps some suggestion for another method of publishing this information????

All help very much appreciated!

niknakgroup, Aug 9, 2005 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I think you'll find RSS is still the way to go and with a handler script you can make it a bit easier. Since they're only getting one category each they'll only need one page won't they?

Maybe if you can show us the original pages and a demo of what you'd ideally want the other sites to have we can help you get to where you need to be.

This thread should probably also get moved to http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17

sarahk, Aug 9, 2005 IP
  3. voltaire

voltaire Banned

Best Answers:
    i think so too.. why not RSS btw?

voltaire, Aug 9, 2005 IP
  4. niknakgroup

niknakgroup Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, I'm playing with the script from www.phplinkdirectory.com - The rss feed is on aper page basis - this would require the customer to put in 11 pages and 11 feeds - and me trying to explain to them how to do this. If I could set it up as one feed which powered 11 pages (the 10 content and the one category index) with one file for them to upload onto their site, I would be set. As this will be a link directory, it is really important that the custoemr can put their own site template over the top of it so that it doesn't get penalised for dupliacte page content. The idea is to have eventually 4 or 500 sites showing each category with 11 subcategories.

How would I find out more about the handler scripts and how to create one, and how can I get this moved to a better forum location? (sorry, I looked and couldn't figure out which was best!)

niknakgroup, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    OK

the links in your feed need to be /resources.php?id=1
    rather than www.mysite.com/resources.php?id=1

and that way they can have a script on their site called resources.php that catches the request and sends it down to you.

They can then add their own navigation into resources.php - preferably through includes.

I'm thinking that you're trying to do a big job on very minimal PHP skills. I'd recommend either outsourcing part of it or having a play and getting to know PHP a bit better before getting into this. You may find it's more efficient in the long run.

Sarah

sarahk, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  6. niknakgroup

niknakgroup Peon

Best Answers:
    OK - my php skills arent quite zero as ive been tinkering with oscommerce and other scripts for nearly 2 years, but yes you are correct, they are not upto the standard required for this task! Where (or who) would I go to get this done for a modest fee - my budget is very restricted as I have just paid out loads on traditional advertising for my oscommerce store, and this particular project was only ever meant to be a hobby/distraction....

niknakgroup, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    There are quite a few freelancer sites around... I'll see if I know anyone...

sarahk, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  8. niknakgroup

niknakgroup Peon

Best Answers:
    Hee hee. I surprised the hell out of myself, tinkered and tweaked, and created a dummy rss file to handle the category index page. I then coded (yes - me - I coded it myself - I cant quite believe that I have managed to pick up enough to be able to do it, but I did....) a php handler script. I now have this as a one file download, upload to clients server. Then they create a new page, chuck the php include statement into that page and bobs your uncle, madge is your aunt, it flamin well works.

Thanks for the suggestions and pointers!

niknakgroup, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  9. SpeedyDomainRegistration

SpeedyDomainRegistration Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use the php include function on remote site to do this.

Your server would serve up page that is requested.
    The remote site would have only 1 line of php code to display this content on a page.

This code should do it. put this on php file on remote site.

include 'http://www.example.com/file.html';

Code (markup):