1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Provider like iPage that actually lets ports be opened

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by majinvegito123, Jan 27, 2014.

I'm fucking pissed at ipage. Those bastards won't let me open ports so everything i'm trying to do for my gameserver and webserver linkup is getting shit all over. I can't query my gameservers because they block the damn ports and say I need to buy a huge dedicated server plan that costs an obscene number just so I can query my gameservers. I mean what the hell is that? They are very limited in what they offer as it is. Anyway, what do I do about this? What other web host provider will better cater to my needs as a game server host?

majinvegito123, Jan 27, 2014 IP
  2. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    With language and an attitude like that my guess is that no-one will want you as a customer. If being able to open ports is so important to you, surely it would have made sense to ask first. It isn't iPage's fault you didn't check.

RonBrown, Jan 27, 2014 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  3. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    you will need a vps /dedicated server for that to open ports, as none will open up ports on a shared server for 1 customer only

try digitalocean - 5$ a month
    amazon aws - free, if usage is low enough

volumedrive.net 4.95 a month.

competent123, Jan 27, 2014 IP
  4. Adam James Jack

Adam James Jack Banned

Best Answers:
    Are Volume Drive still going? i heard they had a law suit with Burst Net. Something about stolen Hardware? not sure how the case was resolved, but there website doesn't look to be up and functioning anymore.

Adam James Jack, Feb 6, 2014 IP
  5. Boardwalk

Boardwalk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You shouldn't even have gone with ipage to begin with. Where are most of your players located? Find a VPS/dedi from a host who has servers in/near your location, then ask if they can give you what you need. It's always better to contact a host first before purchasing to avoid mishaps like this.

Boardwalk, Feb 7, 2014 IP
  6. majinvegito123

majinvegito123 Member

Best Answers:
    So I looked at Digital Ocean. Do you think that;s a good choice for a website??

majinvegito123, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  7. WebsitePlex

WebsitePlex Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That sucks, hosts should allow a couple of ports to be opened on a clients request.

WebsitePlex, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  8. nerdipod

nerdipod Member

Best Answers:
    Don't necessarily choose a host with the "fastest" ticket response time, but choose one who you feel you communicate well with.

nerdipod, Feb 10, 2014 IP
  9. majinvegito123

majinvegito123 Member

Best Answers:
    Does anyone know a game-server friendly web portal or CMS or forum that I should install?

majinvegito123, Feb 10, 2014 IP
  10. CenTex Hosting

CenTex Hosting Member

Best Answers:
    Your going to find that with just about any host where you set your site up on a shared server. If you are wanting ports to be open and so on then you would need to look at a VPS server.

CenTex Hosting, Dec 2, 2018 IP