1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Protection against PR-Cheaters

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by aPRentice, Apr 25, 2005.

1. aPRentice

aPRentice Active Member

Best Answers:
    So you are saying that only the DigitalPoint Back Links Tracking tool is showing wrong readings of PR?

www.emuvortex.net Google 2,120 8 1,040 Apr 25, 2005 Disable

So maybe that tool needs fixing ? :)

aPRentice, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The back link tracker is not the ad network.

The back link tracker does not need fixing, because publicly that's what Google reports for their PR (therefore it's not broken). It doesn't care how the PR was obtained, it's only a reporting mechanism.

The ad network cares more, which is why it does not use the same mechanism as the back link tracker.

digitalpoint, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  3. aPRentice

aPRentice Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you Shawn!

This fully answers my question - I know, I should have had more faith in your coding - I hope you can forgive me, but I do like to understand how the system works to be sure that I am not screwed by someone abusing it!

aPRentice, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Normally I would be happy to give you more information on the technical aspect of how it works, but I'm not going to in this case. I'm sure you can imagine that disclosing the specific details of something like that would just open it up for people to look for loopholes. :)

The bottom line is the site in question has never registered higher than a PR3 as far as the ad network is concerned.

digitalpoint, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  5. Juls

Juls Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ;-) the power of the co-op

never fear shawn is here lol.

thnx shawn.

Juls, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Better luck next time, cheater... :D

fryman, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  7. joncom11

joncom11 Peon

Best Answers:
    If I was intentially cheating, that would do me no good now, since I would be "busted" and it would be wise to fix this promptly in hope to remain in the network... but I am seriously stumped here... for those who do not believe me here, just "play along"...

My base weight is, and has been from DAY1, 40,000 (roughly).... now, if this PR cheat is benefitting me in any way... then it must have been from the very beginning because I have seen no changes in my weight.

If Shawn has any logs of the weight changes made over the months (which I'm really hoping he does at the moment), he can verify this to be true... Or, this could mean that I've been "cheating" the whole time (man, I guess I'm pretty tricky). I do not have a strong understanding of how the PR, etc all works to calculate my weight, but take the time to look at Google, see how many pages I have stored in its database. I place 5 Co-op ads per page on my site. Try to calculate the weight yourself, see what it should be...

Still clueless guys (or pretending to be?)

joncom11, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  8. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn has already stated that for Co op purposes you are not showing at the higher PR.

If you are telling the truth (and to be honest, I have no opinion one way or the other, only you know for sure), it's best to find out why and how it happened and fix the problem. You could be banned from google for this, which is a bigger problem imho.

wendydettmer, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  9. joncom11

joncom11 Peon

Best Answers:
    This means that I am recieving the weight that I should despite this event?

- As for trying to figure this out, the fact that it is the same for my forum.emuvortex.net as it is for www.emuvortex.net, I would think that there would have to be something besides just PHP doing this. htaccess, perhaps... redirecting GoogleBot only and only if its at the highest possible public directory "/". If there was such a .htaccess file, it has to be parent to the one I store in public_html, as I have one there where I use for rewrites, etc...

I can think of one thing, actually, that might be the reason for all of this. A different admin manages the domain for the site. He does not ever change the name servers when we change host. What he does is change the record to point the domain (and subdomains) to a particular IP. This would allow for instant changes (rather than waiting for DNS to propagate), as well as the ability to mirror our site (having different sections hosted on different servers while still under the same domain).

I have not even discussed the co-op program with this admin, and I doubt he even knows its on our site. As I've previously stated, I'm the one dealing with the site developement and SEO. I do not see why he would intentially do this for the purpose of PR cheating. If this happened, which I still do not see happening, it would have been accidental, and momentarily (no more than a day).

Thoughts?

edit - is there any way to see how long google has been thinking my page is caminobrowser?

joncom11, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  10. aPRentice

aPRentice Active Member

Best Answers:
    aPRentice, Apr 27, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    First, joncom, learn to ignore the twaddle that comprises posts by fryman --he really doesn't have anything to say that isn't insulting and designed to make him feel better by putting someone else down.

Second, I just got the cache of your actual site in Google following aPRentice's second link above: http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:SYwkSyE6OvEJ:www.emuvortex.net -- however, when I then clicked on the link to the actual site, I get this:

whois.sc shows a thumbnail of the correct site as of "Image updated 2005-02-20". It also shows this:

theplanet.com is a notorious haven for hackers and viruses/zombies -- my advice is get the hell out of there and find a host that actually cares about who else you are sharing the servers with.

As Wendy says, you need to determine whether there is a problem with your .htaccess file or some other redirect from your site, or whether this is something that has happened off-site, because this is obviously not just a problem for the coop.

It needn't be anything that he has done intentionally -- but step one is to have him look at the nameservers and make certain there are no errors there, and then to contact the host for your site and find out what is going on there.

minstrel, Apr 27, 2005 IP
  12. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I need more coffee, obviously... still waking up :eek:

This isn't a nameserver problem, obviously, since if I type in http://www.emuvortex.net I get taken to the correct site (with the above-noted error message).

MSN Search also correctly shows thumbnails for emuvortex.net

So it seems like a Google problem -- have you contacted Google to notify them of this problem?

13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Unbelievable: Someone objected to my posting the above "apology"? Peo-ple... this is just getting too stupid...

yfs1 likes this.
  14. 2003m2003

2003m2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here is another site give fake PR8 and interestingly this site also use PR8 from same http://caminobrowser.org/ site. This may help to find where is error and so on.
    The site is http://www.desitwist.com and here Google see it http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=http://www.desitwist.com&btnG=Search

Interestingly, site is listed to sell PR8 links in 'Link broker site' (somebody sent me screen shot, here http://easytool.org/fakeprsite.htm )and promoting like this
    ' we have a google pagerank of 8, which is industry high, .....'

2003m2003, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  15. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Good find. Well that is bad, selling links as PR8.

I have no reason to believe joncom has bad intentions but it'd be interesting to know who's behind that desitwist site.

T0PS3O, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  16. 2003m2003

2003m2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I think this is a common problem some where affecting several site, but some get fortune and soon start to sell links. As you see there are links in lower left side in that site, probabale victims of fack PR.

2003m2003, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  17. joncom11

joncom11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Is the desitwist site not part of the Co-op network?

joncom11, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  18. LiGhTen

LiGhTen Peon

Best Answers:
    Using google API is really hard to CHEAT ( site: command ) ! because ok you have like 1 page index with a pr 8 SO WHAT you get like 30 WEIGHT thats is nothing, YOU Can't do with 30 weight you'll get half an add a day. Google won't index 400k PAges that are the same
    AND ANOTHER THING !
    If he did get 400k site the cheater and it is a PR8 and google scans its site and it is still INDEX the pages GOOD FOR HIM ! we gain form it .

LiGhTen, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  19. joncom11

joncom11 Peon

Best Answers:
    You've added an extra 0... its 40k

joncom11, May 1, 2005 IP
  20. E Doc Tong

E Doc Tong Peon

Best Answers:
    This is something that crossed my mind when I saw other reports of Fake PR10 sites and sites scamming people buying text-links. Thinking it would be easy enough to set up a redirect for googlebot on the home-page (or the page used as the root URL for co-op ads) to a high PR site, and also have a decent amount of pages indexed in google by deeplinking, to a sitemap for example.

It's easy enough to see what's going on by entering the URL into google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=http://www.emuvortex.net

clearly shows what's going on.

As jon loch pointed out, this isn't true - as can be seen here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:http://www.emuvortex.net

There is no reason you can't have the rest of your site indexed and only the home-page redirected to a high PR site.

Another consideration I'd like to mention - what if the trickster redirected to another co-op site with high page-rank and lots of pages indexed, would that fool the system? I would hope not.

I'm sure Shawn has taken the necessary precautions to catch this sort of BS.

As for the site-owners explanation - This stuff doesn't happen by accident, if you didn't do it - then someone else with access to your server did. Didn't you wonder why your site suddenly jumped to PR8? I know you don't care what I think, but given the choices:
    a) you're trying to cheat
    b) your server got hacked and the hacker decided to redirect your home-page to a high PR site only for googlebot.

I'm sure everyone can draw their own conclusions....

E Doc Tong, May 1, 2005 IP