1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Proper Paypal merchant account on the horizon...

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by blackbug, Jun 21, 2005.

Hi,

I've just read on TheRegister that Paypal plan to have proper mechant accounts (rather than the 3rd party solution we all "enjoy" right now. There's a monthly charge at $20 a month plus 30 cents and 2.2 to 2.9 per cent of every transaction.

So, proper paypal integration, but at a price.

Read more on TheRegister:
    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/06/21/paypal_for_small_biz/

And from the horses mouth:
    http://www.shareholder.com/paypal/releaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=166510&Category=US

Personally, I'd love integrated payments and a virtual terminal at those prices. How do you guys think that compares?

Cheers

Chris

blackbug, Jun 21, 2005 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  2. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    That's not a bad price.

One thing I like about PayPal payments, you have some indication of what level of customer you are dealing with... unverified, verified, personal, premier, business... If they could integrate some sort of system like that, and continue with the dispute/shipping resolution the same, it may be a very tempting system.

I wonder how easy it would be to get signed up for something like that.

NetMidWest, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  3. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I just completed my application for the Paypal Payments Pro and it says it takes 2 - 3 days to review, so I will let you know...

Paypal is really going to clean house with online merchant accounts with this one :).

ViciousSummer, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  4. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    $20 a month is significantly more than the one time fees charged by payment gateways like 2checkout and clickbank...

daboss, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  5. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    There isn't enough information there to lure me. They don't mention things like chargebacks and I imagine at that price you are on a "communal" account. That was what killed ikibo and myPaysystems. I got burnt when myPaysystems collapsed due to chargebacks so I will definately be taking wait and see attitude.

yfs1, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  6. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi.

2checkout I thoroughly dislike anyway. I just can't get on with them. Plus, don't they whack you again for more money when you withdraw your earnings?

For clickbank, I didn't think they did physical objects (just electronic ones), or shopping carts full of products or integrated into your website or provided a virtual terminal. And something about clickbank seems wrong to me, I dunno what it is. A certain stigma. Not sure.

Cheers

Chris

blackbug, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  7. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    you pay $4 when clickbank sends you a check...

as for clickbank, i guess it's the site's design? :)

daboss, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  8. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Could be that, or that every time I've seen something being sold through clickbank it's been a product in the "How to get rich in 4 easy minutes" arena. Anyways, clickbank isn't invisible to the user isn't? So isn't really comparable to what's on offer with paypals new program.

Cheers

Chris

9. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you mean clickbank there or 2co? Because I thought 2co was nearer the $50 dollar mark for withdrawals of any kind.

Cheers

Chris

10. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    2checkout has a $.45 plus 5.5% per transaction fee. This is the highest I've seen for any merchant account...I didn't check, but I bet clickbank has the same.

ViciousSummer, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  11. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a lot of info at http://developer.paypal.com/ but I haven't had time to read it. I scanned something about SSL (of course) and seems I read something about a dedicated server...

Do let us know how transparent it is, Summer. Also, 2checkout holds some funds for covering chargebacks, does PayPal?

NetMidWest, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  12. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    I was approved for the Paypal Payment Pro, but it's going to be next week before I have it implimented. You need to know API programming and scripting languages in order to set it up and I'm defiantely not a coder ;), so I have to wait until my brother gets back from Vegas.

Paypal doesn't hold funds, charge for withdrawing funds, etc, so I'm confident that I'm going to be very happy with this set up :).

ViciousSummer, Jun 23, 2005 IP