1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

proper length of a good article

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by mel_akey, Jul 30, 2006.

what do you think is a good length for an article? is it different for submitting an/or posting to your site?

mel_akey, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  2. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It totally depends on the topic.

I have some how to articles that are 4-5 screens long (with diagrams) and others on simpler topics that are less than a screen.

I wouldn't focus so much on length as on completeness. Convey the complete story/idea without turning it into War and Peace.

If it starts getting waaaayyyyy tooooooo long, it might be time to separate it into multiple articles.

YMC, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  3. noe

noe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    800-1000 words

noe, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  4. Keith Taylor

Keith Taylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've always thought brevity is best. I prefer to write articles no longer than 400 words.

If you're looking for keyword optimisation, 400 words should be more than enough to make an impact. Besides, in this age of diminutive attention spans you can really only expect to hold the reader's interest for a few hundred words.

Keith Taylor, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  5. RRWH

RRWH Active Member

Best Answers:
    350-1200 words per page depending on the topic and attention span of the reader. For general info if you need to go beyond 1200 words make 2 articles.

The only exception to this is if the information is of a highly technical nature for a highly focussed audience then just break it apart as you would a chapter in a printed book.

Of recent times, I read an online artice that was approx 4000 words on 1 page and would not have read it if it was split onto even a 2nd page.

RRWH, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  6. ClothMaker111

ClothMaker111 Peon

Best Answers:
    It completely depends on the type of site you have. If you build speciality content and are trying to attract a loyal user base, then a long, thorough article will serve you best. If your question is purely from an SEO standpoint, then 400-600 words of well-written content should satisfy both human and spider.

ClothMaker111, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  7. KeithLDick

KeithLDick Peon

Best Answers:
    If your article has the strength to keep your visitors captivated until the end, post the whole article....

If your not sure just post the 1st paragraph with a link to the rest of it...

KeithLDick, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  8. uca

uca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree on a length of 4-500 words approximately.

It obviously depends...

:)

uca, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  9. spjain81

spjain81 Peon

Best Answers:
    250 to 400 words are enough for an article. Most of the people like 400 words. If you have around 1000-1200 words content then try to divide it in 3 articles because an article of 1000-1200 words provide only 1 backlink to your site but if it is divided in 3 articles it will provide you 3 backlinks.:)

spjain81, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  10. aad_lfcfn

aad_lfcfn Peon

Best Answers:
    if its me, i would prefer to write two paragraph as an introduction and add 2-3 more paragraph as content for the article. It doesnt matter how much the word you can write.Try to make the article interesting. keep it professional. write like you're a jornalist. but be careful, don't write too flowerly.

aad_lfcfn, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  11. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    To be perfectly honest with you, I don't think there's an actual standard that can be applied when it comes to article length. You have to write enough to get your point across, but you don't want to drone on for paragraphs and risk losing the interest of visitors to your website.

Personally, I like to keep articles short and to the point unless I am writing an in-depth piece about a particular subject. If your article is captivating, easy to read and interesting enough length won't necessarily matter. If however your articles are sprinkled with spelling errors, incorrect sentence structures and grammatical mistakes, visitors will immediately hit the back button because they can't bear to read the rest.

Basically, it's important that your content is readable and interesting. If you've got both of those concepts down, you should be fine regardless of the length.

DeniseJ, Aug 1, 2006 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  12. Black_Hand

Black_Hand Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with Denise.

try to keep it short, simple and sweet! Write a perfect intro and draw ur readers attention!

Black_Hand, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  13. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have any formal training in writing (IE Journalism), the first thing you learn is that your content and audience dictates the appropriate length. This is also true for public speaking.

Having a word count in mind helps you drill down until your topic matches the goal. For example, if I had a topic of United Nations and a word count goal of 500 words, that would be too broad.

I could drill down further, say Security Council. It's still too broad. Drill down again to say Resolutions. If I want to skim the surface for a newbie-style audience, I could possibly stop here. However, if I want a nice article with some meat for future political scientists, I need to drill down further. Therefore, I move to Security Council Resolutions passed under Chapters 6 & 7. You should get the point, so I will stop here.

marketjunction, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  14. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Personally, I think webmasters and writers spend way too much time evaluating articles by the number of words presented.

I can remember back in school when assignments had a stated word count minimum. I would usually spend more time getting to that magical number than worrying about what I was actually writing. Those assignments were always of a lesser quality than the ones that had no minimum requirements.

It would seem that counting words has simply become a way to evaluate a piece for pricing. Which is truly a shame because it takes the whole quality aspect out of the picture.

YMC, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  15. Keith Taylor

Keith Taylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    That said, it would be difficult to quantify quality.

"I'll give you a really good article for $25, or a really crappy one for $5."

It works out OK in the end. We content writers judge the quality of our own work and adjust our prices accordingly. So, the owner of a content farm with 100 semi-literate writers would price down to 2 dollars, while I will price up to $10+ for the same word count.

Whether the customer agrees with our assessment of the quality is another story entirely :)

Keith Taylor, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  16. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    My basic rule is to try to keep it to less than 500 words per page... and to try to keep articles to one page. (in Web writing at least) Of course there are exceptions, like certain how-to style pieces, list-based pieces, and things like samples or templates that work better w/o being broken up, even if they run long.

Think about your audience. If you're writing to more of an intellectual audience, they'll likely read more. If you're targeting teenagers on an entertainment-based site, then keep it short and sweet or you'll lose them. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Aug 2, 2006 IP
    DeniseJ likes this.
  17. jamesxp

jamesxp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I try to keep a single article around 500 words - it doesn't take too long to read, or bore the audience too much. If the subject requires it, make it into a series and upload them over a few days or weeks to keep visitors returning.

jamesxp, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  18. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I find it interesting that many people are associating an article's interest/boredom with word count. I have seen countless boring articles that were just a couple hundred words in length.

In fact, an article could be very boring just one sentence into it.

marketjunction, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  19. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    [OT] This has turned into a great thread. [/OT]

Maybe if we drop the web aspect of this and look at length as a measurement of what makes something readable.

Agatha Christy wrote mysteries that are really quite short when compared to what many others write. Yet, her books take me as long to read as do ones that are 2, 3 or even 4 times longer. She wrote at a level that was more intelligent and her longevity proves her worthiness as a writer; despite her relatively short stories.

From a length comparision, we have the whole Harlequin series. All are about the same length as a Christy novel; but they are certainly not of that quality, nor do they take as long to read.

But does lengthy equate to boring and redundant as some might have suggested? I recently finished a book by X .(I'll use X rather than have this turn into a literary discussion on authors.) The book was at least 3 inches thick, yet led to quite a few sleepness nights as I could not put it down.

So, would those of you here that seem to insist on equating length with readability completely discount the work of X; simply because his story took so much longer to tell? The millions who have purchased his books would disagree with you.

Perhaps the original poster's question and our answers should have focussed on article length vs SEO or some other metric rather than a discussion on quality; since what makes a "good article" is so very subjective.

Perhaps the most accurate answer that's been given is "It depends" and without additional information regarding topic or audience, any other answer would only be a guess.

YMC, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  20. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

I don't think it has anything to do with "boredom." The fact is simply that it's already a documented fact that Web readers have shorter attention spans and want scannable material. The attention span of youth (as per my original post) are also well known to be less than that of others. So when you combine the two, length does certainly, in most cases, come into play depending on who your audience is. Trying to compare Web articles to Agatha Christie novels and such is like comparing apples to oranges. You don't sit down with a novel and expect something specific. You expect to be engrossed by the story, and that's what determines if you keep reading or not. Not so on the Web a lot of the time. Instead, people tend to be looking for more specific information, and they'll browse a page with their eyes (hence why lists and bold headings are so important) until they find it rather than always reading every word. Most studies on the subject also express that people tend to not prefer scrolling much, hence why it's often pretty vital to keep articles short, unless you're targeting a specific audience that's more likely to read more content in one sitting (such as a business or medical professional who has an interest in reading through an entire study or report on a subject). It's not about boredom or quality, so much as it's about human nature, and understanding it to make your own work better serve your purposes.

Jenn

jhmattern, Aug 3, 2006 IP