1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Promo methods via social bookmarking sites and MySpace etc.

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Infoseeker, Jan 29, 2007.

Hi,

I posted this elsewhere when it should really have its own thread:

You mention digg, but I'm not really sure how such social bookmarking sites work. I mean, can you promote your sites on such as digg, MySpace, and Friendster; and if so, how? They seem like really obvious places given the traffic. Any clues how to start there or anywhere else with high traffic?

Thanks,

Infoseeker

Infoseeker, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  2. kalle437

kalle437 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have a Digg link on your site, people that like the site will bookmark it with Digg. And if your site has enough "Digg's" it will get posted on the frontpage, witch will generate tons of visitors. But since people need to find the bookmark link on your site, you will need to have some visitors from start and not only rely on digg.

Kalle :)

kalle437, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  3. Infoseeker

Infoseeker Peon

Best Answers:
    I see. As you say, you need to generate traffic before you get signinficant bookmarks. So how would you go about it quickly using such as MySpace and Friendster plus a few others? As I see it these places *assume* you already know how they work, and we know how dangerous assumptions are, no? My gripe is that they need clearer explanations. Perhaps someone here could kindly elaborate. For example, what if you have many sites you want to promote...?

4. John Guanzon

John Guanzon Peon

Best Answers:
    Just join, submit the sites you want, they are then seen by your peers. If you provide good content they will be bookmarked more and more, thus increasing traffic. As for using myspace or friendster to advertise in, ask yourself this: Does what you have to offer appeal to teenagers? Becuase if you are using myspace and the like to promote products you have to understand that 80% to 90% of your audience will be teenagers, who most lack paypal accounts.

John Guanzon, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  5. Infoseeker

Infoseeker Peon

Best Answers:
    Firstly, thanks for your helpful feedback. Regarding joining, how is this best done? What name should I use? One linked to my sites? Can I promote all my sites from one MySpace or Friendster account?

About 7 of my sites will appeal to teens and it doesn't matter about Paypal as these are largely Adsense sites, though decent original content and graphics ones, not cookie-cutter clutter.

So, to clarify, when you say submit your sites, are you talking about MS and F, or other places too? Where else would you suggest, if anywhere?

Thanks,

IFS

6. John Guanzon

John Guanzon Peon

Best Answers:
  7. Infoseeker

Infoseeker Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't actually blog (were you suggesting Wordpress or Blogger?). What I wanted to do was open a MS or F account (or both) and make bulletins or whatever. I'm assuming I can promote any amount of sites from one account, yes? I also just came across a great product called Badder Adder (too new a member to post actual link but the domain is the same as the above!). It allows you to add loads of friends with a mouse click, so can't be bad. Anything to automate tedious processes is a great boon!

What I don't get about social bookmarking sites like digg is how you promote a load of your own sites...

8. John Guanzon

John Guanzon Peon

Best Answers:
    I meant blog in from your myspace profile as it has that option, also friend adders don't work anymore. If you gain friends too fast your site will be flagged, keeping you from sending messages to people and possibly being deleted.

9. Blanket

Blanket Peon

Best Answers:
    myspace is a great marketing resource. just dont abuse it.

Blanket, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  10. Infoseeker

Infoseeker Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't a clue how to even use it, never mind abuse it.

Still not sure how many accounts I need. Say I want to promote 7 of my sites that appeal to the MS demographic... How many MS accounts would I need (given that my sites are all on different subjects)? Would MS allow me to open unlimited accounts under my real name?

11. John Guanzon

John Guanzon Peon

Best Answers:
  12. AdultSpace

AdultSpace Peon

Best Answers:
    MySpace is great if you do it properly. They're really on top of the spam, so you've got to be careful what kind of messages you send cause it's really easy to report spam through messages.

Also, the friend adding bots get caught very quickly so i wouldn't waste money on those.

Good luck

AdultSpace, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  13. Infoseeker

Infoseeker Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the heads up. How would you suggest doing it properly? I have about 7 relevant sites, all on different but teen-topical subjects. My concern is that if I promoted them all from a MS blog (on one account), it might look suspicious that they were all backlinked to that.

14. FIVE539

FIVE539 Peon

Best Answers:
    I offer myspace commenting, it works great for me, and is very effective in the long run

FIVE539, Jan 29, 2007 IP