1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Programming ethics debate

Discussion in 'Directories' started by LeopardAt1, Apr 13, 2007.

This is a programming debate I’m having with someone here on DP. Its funny, If I was to be posting this forum topic inside a PERL community, they'll be no debate--most will agree with me. But this community, I'm not exactly sure yet.

Now you’re probably wondering why a programming related topic is inside the directories forum, but it does involve phpLD. So I'm posting it here.

In the Perl community, most things come free, open source, priceless software you get to install and use for your personal doings. If you’re a Perl programmer, you can always use thousands of free modules by downloading them at http://search.cpan.org/ . In the Perl Community, members usually help one another learn the language and any help using any mod's necessary. http://www.perlmonks.org is an example of this type of community. I credit that site for learning most of the Perl skills I have.

Then there are those in this community...Its definitely not a programming community as it seems like most people are not coders. Most are webmasters, link builders, designers, and psychotherapists (minstrel).

So the debate started with my friend Mr. Rang when I asked him about deep link mod's. I still have no clue what they are, but there are a lot of people who says its valuable to a directory. As a new directory owner, I would obviously want such a feature. So after I asked Mr. Rang, he replied "don't go in the field", implying for me not to build a mod similar to it.

So would I be a code "ripper" If was to build a feature for my new directory so its similar to the deep link mod. I say no because a code ripper is someone who "steals" someone else's code and paste's it into his own script. But since I know php a bit, understand the phpLD program and can program a custom script that works like the deep link mod, is there anything wrong with that?

Yahoo! and Google are both search engines---but both programmed differently
    phpLD and eSyndicat are both directory scripts--both in php but programmed differently
    an0n's deep link mod and "my soon personal mod that works like the deep link mod" ---both in php but programmed differently.

Now, is Mr. Rang right on this or am I? I would like to hear anyone's opinion on this topic.

LeopardAt1, Apr 13, 2007 IP
    ryan_uk, ErectADirectory and romow like this.
  2. SasaVtec

SasaVtec Notable Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

yea I read part, most ppl here will consider you a ripper if you do a deep links mod, as if it wasnt for anon no one would have ever though of this.

SasaVtec, Apr 13, 2007 IP
    iceberg likes this.
  3. LeopardAt1

LeopardAt1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sasa, shows how immature you are. Thats all I can say. Please don't post on this thread no more.

and ...grow up :)

4. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    He is having a debate with me--
    My view is whatever programming language you use --you can not code an idea in different language as the idea has already been used by others.

I want to hear --what others think.:cool:

jhnrang, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  5. SasaVtec

SasaVtec Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yea like I said, since anon is very respected here, and used by all top dawgs you will notice that those top dogs will not submit to your directory if you are using a deep links mod but its not anon's

6. LeopardAt1

Best Answers:
    Sasa may I ask if you are an0ns bf?

Click the below link:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/search.php?searchid=3375679

7. SasaVtec

SasaVtec Notable Member

Best Answers:
  8. LeopardAt1

Best Answers:

Its not like im taking the idea and distributing it so I can make money off it. I'm adding a feature that will work like the deep link mod for my personal use. I'm not even sure if I'm even going to try to sit down and program a deep link mod--like I said, I still don't even see how it works

In all honesty, its not about the "deep link mod", its about the action I'm doing. I find it harmless and in the Perl community, its done all the time--in fact most open source communities love for people to take an "idea" and try to improve it.

9. LeopardAt1

Best Answers:
    Okay, now I sort of understand why almost every post you make, you happen to mention an0n.

Thanks for clearing it up a bit.

10. SasaVtec

SasaVtec Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds ok in pearl, but phpld really isn't open source.

11. LeopardAt1

Best Answers:
    phpLD is not open source but mods customly built can be.

12. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes --my question also to fellow DP members is that --

Is programming and idea in different programming language right? He says he will programme them in Perl and integrate with phpLD/esyndiate script.

I say " Since the idea is already being used -- it will be like an Intellectual Property Theft" --the whole world is fighting against it.

I definitely think it is better to imagine/innovate and contribute for the development of the directory industry --as I always preach that with value additions and new innovations --our industry can rock the WWW.

Besides -- Leopart and Sasa --please focus on the topic--and if you have any grudge against each other --you are always free to continue it through PMs.

This topic is really interesting --
    I want to vindicate my point and he wants to prove his point.

jhnrang, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  13. LeopardAt1

Best Answers:
    Now your pulling the law into this debate. I'm pretty sure if I build a custom script from scratch and use it for my site is not violating any law. :confused:

14. iceberg

iceberg Notable Member

Best Answers:
    stop ripping off other people's ideas and make your own.

iceberg, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  15. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That would make you a plagiarist.

Why don't you try and think of something on your own and of your own.
    I mean you've already plagiarized the RSS Feed mod that another phpld member made.

Try being yourself, not someone else.

You have no 'programmers ethics' because programmers don't rip from each other when they are in the same field.

an0n, Apr 13, 2007 IP
    jhnrang likes this.
  16. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Rob--my points made/vindicated -:D

jhnrang, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  17. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    Apparently that RSS feed MOD is being distributed too. What's to say the deep link MOD would not be later? I'm not accusing anyone, but I don't like to see someone copy another person's idea. I have to deal with this every day in the software industry, web directory industry, etc. It's painful to see a great idea come along, and then everybody releasing "me-too products" that rip it off. I'm certainly not against innovation. By all means, if you have something new and awesome that is different from what already exists, feel free. However, if you're wanting the EXACT same thing that has already been done, use the solution from the original developer. It's hard to do business with people who have this mentality.

mystikmedia, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  18. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Try something cool with originality. It will make you stand out too. Others are just CHEAP copyist already don't be in that section. If you really are what you say you are then you would come up with an ORIGINAL IDEA that will be Good For Us, Good For the Submitters and Most of All would Be Good For You. ;)

popotalk, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  19. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I personally believe that most of these issue would stop if the inventor somehow patents the product or in some way secures its future as the web is expanding and thier are others that probably can and WILL make any mod including this one.

Dont get me wrong as im saying they arent from here and never heard of an0n or the deep links mod but could have stumbled across uncoverthenets version or another type that inspired the person to do so...then what?

Technically its up to the creator to secure his work in some way so that the others cant steal his code, but thier surely are others that are just as smart or smarter that have a brain and know PHP just as well as an0n.

Ford was first car built in this country then came chevy, dodge, and everyone else so will others make similer mods? probably if action isnt takin by the creator to secure his products future...

just the way i see it nothing more....

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  20. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your right about SOME of those Malcolm. But while the world has limited corners and bounderies, the internet is comprised of unlimited space which would be very difficult to track every A**HOLE in the Industry. There also country laws to consider and Organization Laws. Internet is still on progress and a law is still far from implentation WORLDWIDE. Sure there are some but its not UNILATERAL.

Point is there is already one in PHPLD why not start on other scripts. Site Sift has already Terry's version. So its not bad IMO to go after another script. Theres already JERKS who are copying the invention. Don't join the crowd. That's only my opinion.

Thanks

popotalk, Apr 13, 2007 IP