1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Editors?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by digitalpoint, Mar 5, 2004.

Is anyone else a DMOZ editor? I edit a small category right now, but was thinking of requesting a new category to edit.

Has any existing editors had success in applying for an additional category to edit?

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  2. hasitruparel

hasitruparel Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Shawn,

I would like to know which category are you editing at the moment?

Also, how do i become an editor, i have filled-up the reqest form about 2-3 times, but i have not received any responce in the same.

looking forward to your reply.
    thanks, Hasit

hasitruparel, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hi Shawn

I edit as sarahknz and have a very very small regional cat (damn those @links) and have just starting greenbusting Palm's. When I get more experience I'll try and get more in my region but they turned me down a couple of times so thought I'd try elsewhere.

Sarah

sarahk, Mar 8, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, I got turned down to move up one level (not enough edits they say). So I have a pending application for a different (also small category) to try and get the edit numbers up. Hopefully it will get approved. :)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 8, 2004 IP
  6. rwhetsto

rwhetsto Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn,

I am up to 5 categories, but I had torubles at the begining just like everyone else. How to get edits without having a big category??? I received a good answer from a meta editor - Go into your bookmarks category from your editor dashboard and start adding websites. In particular add sites that you would add to the category you are requesting. You will impress them more if you add folders to show your understanding of the hierarchy. The meta editors want to see that you have an understanding of what a good site is and how to write a good description. Well, also that your category is cleaned up, and a few other things :). Hope this helps.

Ryan

rwhetsto, Mar 9, 2004 IP
  7. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I was thinking about applying for an editor position with dmoz as well, but I was wondering if they care (or know) if you apply to edit a catagory that you want your site to be included in?

ViciousSummer, Mar 9, 2004 IP
  8. rwhetsto

rwhetsto Peon

Best Answers:
    My first category was in one that I had a site waiting for approval. As long as you let them know about your sites, they don't seem to mind. Actually if you have a website on a particular subject, it makes sense that you would know a lot about that subject. Making you a good candidate for the job. There are quite a few catches, though. Make sure the site you have waiting to be approved is directed to the correct category and that you have a good description of your site. ie... Not one that is filled with hype.

Good luck,
    Ryan

rwhetsto, Mar 10, 2004 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Shawn,

to get more sites I found a couple of web developers who I know don't submit their clients sites to dmoz. I used Xenu to strip the urls and then added them to my unreviewed bookmarks. I'll slowly work through adding them to whereever they need to go. Obviously they stay as unreviewed but you get credit for adding brand new sites and you have an editing history. I still have 450+ to work through, and by then someone else may have added them but if not, then I get the credit!

Sarah

sarahk, Mar 10, 2004 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Good idea... forgot about adding to categories that aren't yours...

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 10, 2004 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Okay, I started doing that, then I looked, and I haven't been getting credit for them. The editor that ultimately approves them gets credit. Maybe I'm adding them incorrectly or something... how do you do it so I get credit when it's approved?

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 12, 2004 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Really, damn!

I've just checked with http://editors.dmoz.org/editors/logs.cgi?editor=sarahknz and it tells me
    and I have only about 13 sites in my cat. Interesting looking at the breakdown. There are cats there I know I've directed sites to which don't show up.

sarahk, Mar 14, 2004 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah, that's what I was seeing too for me. And I even specifically looked at the detail for the editor that approved the one I put into his category, and *he* got the "unique add" credit for it. Humph... :) Guess I'll try greenbusting instead... :)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 14, 2004 IP
  14. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn,

If you are interested in editing another category, the Society/Holidays/Christmas/Decorations_and_Props/ appears to be looking for an editor ... and my Bazillions of Christmas Lights URL would be a perfect candidate for it! ;-)

Obviousely a self-serving post, but I thought I'd pass it on in case you wanted a quick/easy one. I actually did submit this to dmoz, but semi-goofed on the category - see my posting on resource zone - should be a slam dunk.

alek

P.S. I responded elsewhere about your api.google.com stuff - am running some tests with my own API/keytracker code and have some semi-puzzling/interesting results - will followup in that forum soon.

hulkster, Mar 21, 2004 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm greenbusting one level up, so that should give me some edits (1,300 unreviewed when I started... about 1,150 still to go). :)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 21, 2004 IP
  16. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Right on Ryan

I requested about 4 years ago and got rejected on France and English speaking sites, which, I got rejected saying that there was insufficient evidence thatwe knew about the subject, so I told them exactly what you have just written above - it stands to reason that if you have sites [it was then about 1000 pages] on the subject you should know quite a bit about it - but they didn't like that idea especially, I think, the bit I put in about how would people like them know when they were sitting in the middle of America where only 1 person in 100 holds a Passport and most have never gone outside their own state.

I think that site got an instant dismissal and - really its not made one iota of difference - except to my pride! :rolleyes:

Foxy, Mar 21, 2004 IP
  17. I. Brian

I. Brian Business consultant

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't mind doing some work at DMOZ - I've actually applied to edit some small category in the religions section. On the one hand, I have my business interests - my SEO link-building and design. On the other hand - I have my hobbies and I don;t mind helping out with those.

Been a few weeks now, but I would rather not seem so eager as to chase up an application. If they want me, they want me - if not then I shall not. Simple, really, I guess. :)

I. Brian, Mar 22, 2004 IP
  18. theblade24

theblade24 Active Member

Best Answers:
    My site has been waiting to get in since last Sept. of 2003. I keep getting responses like we're backed up, lots waiting, etc etc. But I have not seen the first site added to the category since then.

I've even applied to edit my category and got turned down. Interesting how someone who works for a Major League Baseball team would be turned down in the memorabilia category. They said they had enough editors and it was too complex for a rookie editor anyway. Go figure.

In any event, is there someone here that can look after this, and review and enter me even though I'm in your category?

PM me if you'd like to know the exact URL and category.

Thanks in advance!!!!

theblade24, Mar 24, 2004 IP
  19. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If the category has no editor, it will be some time... one of the editors in it's parent categories will need to go in and do it. You normally will see the whole queue cleared at once for the category when it happens though... so you won't see old one trickling in first.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 24, 2004 IP
  20. theblade24

theblade24 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure there are editors, whether they are active or not is another story. They turned me down for some reason.

Is there any way you can check the status of the editors and whats going on in the category

Sports/shopping/memorabilia please?

theblade24, Mar 24, 2004 IP