1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Professional web design service for local businesses.

Discussion in 'General Business' started by ladybiker, Nov 24, 2006.

I would like to offer web design services for local businesses. I've been designing web sites for years, and finally spent some money on a notebook computer. I envision that I can visit local businesses, give them my business card, and provide a demo if they have time. For those who already have a web site, I can offer advertising and links from my own local web site.
    If anyone has done this, how did you figure out how much to charge for the various services? Do you advertise in the phone book? Have you been able to make a living from it? Are there any books you highly recommend?

ladybiker, Nov 24, 2006 IP
  2. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well i live in a country where the many majority of business owners don'y know mutch of the potential of having a site represent there business so i don't do business here but why limit think globaly .... this is the internet ....

w3bmaster, Nov 24, 2006 IP
  3. buzza_gts

buzza_gts Active Member

Best Answers:
    A good way to get started is offer a free SEO report, tell them whats wrong with thier site and how much you will charge to fix it.

buzza_gts, Nov 24, 2006 IP
  4. Jon.West

Jon.West Peon

Best Answers:
    Figure out how much you're worth (your hourly billable rate) then figure out about how much time you'll put into each design. Multiply the two. A small business design shouldn't be over $5k and really should be more in the $1k-3k range.

Jon.West, Nov 24, 2006 IP
  5. AgileHosting

AgileHosting Peon

Best Answers:
    There is definitely room for you in the field ... a good, reputable designer who really grasps the bigger picture is hard to find!!!

The best place to learn more about this is Sitepoint, sitepoint.com. The site is huge and you will find gigs and gigs of resources & info in terms of articles, blogs and forum posts. If you want to learn the design industry upside-down & backwards -- that's hands-down the place to go.

HTH, and good luck!!! Hope this turns out for you.

:D Bailey

AgileHosting, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  6. UK-Networks

UK-Networks Peon

Best Answers:
    Get yourself some nice flyers printed up and get out there and introduce yourself to as many businesses as you can find:)

UK-Networks, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  7. ladybiker

ladybiker Peon

Best Answers:
    Great info, good suggestions, and wonderful to have some encouragement. I'm getting to like it here at DP. I think I will use every suggestion made so far. Thanks!

ladybiker, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  8. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    word of mouth works fastest , initially tell your friends they will get you referals , once you make some cash then spend that in advertising ,
    everything starts from 0

forumrating, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  9. uranus

uranus Peon

Best Answers:
    I need help with joomla and virtuemart, pm me if interested

uranus, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  10. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This would be the way to go. :)

JEET, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  11. wishmaster22

wishmaster22 Banned

Best Answers:
    I thought about this as well in my area, but with a little different angle.

Okay I have a passion for the internet, as well as internet marketing.

A few weeks ago I attended a free seminar to have your own internet biz. Over a hundred people showed up. They also had a free gift and free lunch. However almost half of the people signed up for the next meeting 2 hours away. The price they were told for a website and hosting was 5700.00 . So after seeing that people were interested in this sort of thing offline. Do you think it would be a good idea to form a company, get a license, and insurance, and offer to have people come to my home, or theirs for lessons on how to build a website; and how affiliate marketing works? I can offer a set dollar amount for say two hours and provide them with freesoftware. Then charge them in blocks of time for further support.

So what do you think? Pipe dream?

wishmaster22, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  12. jupzchris

jupzchris Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure everyone around here has offered design biz to local clients even if they are not even designers ;)

I for one get atleast one client a month that wants a site and I just outsource it to my guys that are loyal designers :)

jupzchris, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  13. Flez

Flez Guest

Best Answers:
    You are selling yourself, not your work.

Flez, Nov 27, 2006 IP