1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Productivity Tips

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by MoneyWrite, Jan 19, 2010.

It's a nice problem to have but my regular work has doubled in the last week (and only one of these was a totally new client). While there will be no problem in getting the work out, I would like some free time to work on the business particularly as I have a full time job as well. So what are the productivity tips that people have for writing?

I've had a quick search on this site and there are a couple of good threads that I'm going to have to read through, but if anyone has a favourite thread or blog post that they'd like to point out then it would be appreciated.

(Jenn - it looks like the content mills aren't such a big issue for now.)

MoneyWrite, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  2. J. Falcn

J. Falcn Peon

Best Answers:
    Close the doors, shut the blinds, unhook the telephone, get up very early, and focus!

J. Falcn, Jan 20, 2010 IP
  3. BizDetail

BizDetail Peon

Best Answers:
    Figure out what you are writing about, and do it. Don't surf the web, watch TV or listen to music if it is going to distract you. If you aren't in a writing mood, stop and do the business stuff. If you are in a writing mood, keep writing until you aren't in one. Take advantage of every moment of productivity with planning and elimination of distractions.

BizDetail, Jan 20, 2010 IP
  4. ArticlePrince

ArticlePrince Peon

Best Answers:
    The best thing you can do is focus on what you're getting in exchange for the writing, it really helps me focus

ArticlePrince, Jan 21, 2010 IP
  5. dreamview

dreamview Peon

Best Answers:
    focus on what you are writing and is it relevant? just check it out

dreamview, Jan 21, 2010 IP
  6. Mariela

Mariela Peon

Best Answers:
    I have the same issue. Try not to get stressed, it's a massive productivity killer. Lots of rest when you can and eat well. :)

Mariela, Jan 21, 2010 IP
  7. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have to close out my email program, otherwise I end up distracted by incoming emails.

You should also look for your most productive time of day and try to work at that time. Find a place that you can work without distractions, even if it means going to the local Starbucks or the library.

latoya, Jan 22, 2010 IP
  8. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, ditto all the standard advice about distraction, but in particular I very much agree with that suggestion about finding your productive time of the day. This is really important, and it made a big difference for me once I nailed it. It's weird because I don't mind getting up early, in fact I hate to sleep late -- but I just can't get into "work-mode" on the computer until about 4 in the afternoon! After that I actually find it easy to focus. I used to feel guilty about this until I finally said: don't fight it, just utilize it! So I spend the earlier part day doing physical, non-computer chores, exercise, tidying up, shopping, whatever, and I consider my work day to start at 4.

Second tip - this is about getting things done fast, which is probably a bit more on topic in relation to your question. This may not appeal to everyone, but it's what I've started doing and it's made a huge difference. Basically when I have a specific task before me I challenge myself on the clock, making a sort of game of it -- so if I think I need 40 minutes to write an article, I'll set my timer and really try to get it done in 20. It's fun, it gets the adrenalin pumping, it leaves no time to think about whether you're in the mood or feel inspired- it's just all about doing doing doing. Works for me!;)

Hope this helps.

LondonCalling, Jan 22, 2010 IP
    rubeina likes this.
  9. Otillier011

Otillier011 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The key term here is to FOCUS. You also have to familiarize yourself with the subject and make thorough research beforehand.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    Otillier011, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  10. malvika

malvika Peon

Best Answers:
    Switch off your mobile, close your email account and start working.

malvika, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  11. TheTechWritingMachine

TheTechWritingMachine Member

Best Answers:
    Bring your negative feelings in. Think of all your competitors who earn a lot more than you; think of all the people who look down upon you; think of having to do stuff that you really don’t like to, but have no other option etc. Say to yourself that you, and only you alone (may be with the ones you love), are going to make it out of the s**thole you are in.

Take a deep breath.:eek:

And then, start working!!!

--- Proven :D ---

TheTechWritingMachine, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  12. acadianapa

acadianapa Peon

Best Answers:
    Whenever I find my focus wandering, I switch to writing articles using Dragon Naturally Speaking. It makes me feel fast and gets me moving. The articles need to be edited, but words are on the page and I am on the move.

I also use a program called Dark Room to compose my articles. Somehow, covering my screen in black and eliminating all the bells and whistles and buttons makes writing flow faster.

acadianapa, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  13. goin

goin Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the information,very useful

goin, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  14. WordWaves

WordWaves Peon

Best Answers:
    I use two productivity apps on my iphone. Both have been worth their weight in gold to me : 0

WordWaves, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  15. alpalino

alpalino Peon

Best Answers:
    The best things to do is create a todo list. When you have loads to do, you can forget about time and forget abut other things that needs to be done. So, create a list of things to do. Give each of them a time frame. You will see that you'll have a lot of things done.

alpalino, Mar 26, 2010 IP