1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Problems with Youtube's copyright policy

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by davide1982, Feb 17, 2010.

Hi guys,
    Recently I started to use youtube as a tool for site promotion. What i did was just cutting out targeted episodes from movies and combining them into video compilation. In video description I also stated link to my site.

Everything was ok and my videos were gaining a decent amount of views. But today I received a warning from Youtube's administration notifying me that Paramount corporation claimed a Copyright infringement on the video that I uploaded, because it was compiled of episodes from the movie they produced. The movie is Vanilla Sky with Penelope Cruz and Tom Cruise.

Now the strange thing is that there are at the moment a plenty of episodes, scenes, trailers of that movie on youtube which were uploaded 1-2 years ago and still continue to be there. But my video had been live only for a few days before being claimed by Copyright owner (((

Is there anyone who experienced the same or who knows the logic behind Youtube's policy ??

davide1982, Feb 17, 2010 IP
  2. grigsdomain

grigsdomain Peon

Best Answers:
    http:// blog.tmcnet, com/blog/tom-keating/internet/youtube-kills-fair-use-mutes-audio.asp (change comma to a period and remove space - I can't live link officially yet)

It appears there's a bigger crack down. Look up Fair Use online to find more about the doctrine.

grigsdomain, Feb 17, 2010 IP
  3. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no problem with youtubes copyright policy, you either own the material or your dont - its that simple.

The only "problem" I see here, is that you tried to use material that did not belong to you for your own personal gain. You got caught, and now you want to complain that there are "lots of other videos on youtube just like mine."

Just because you got a speeding ticket, does not mean that the police are going to catch "every" speeder out there. If you do not want a speeding ticket, drive within the speed limit. The same thing goes for youtube.

If you do not want to get those copyright notices, do not use material that does not belong to you.

~kev~, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  4. dbzstream

dbzstream Guest

Best Answers:
    From my personal experience, sometimes they will remove your vids for copyright, sometimes they won't. They can't catch everyone all the time.

dbzstream, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  5. frozzy

frozzy Peon

Best Answers:
    They are searching for random users. So it's like a roulette.

frozzy, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  6. webbmaster

webbmaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    just because someone else is doing it, it does not makes it right.. copyright infringement is serious business and you are just the ones getting caught.. you glad they are not pressing charges.. heard of music sharing individuals getting sued ?

webbmaster, Feb 19, 2010 IP