1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Problems with jQuery UI X-editable

Discussion in 'jQuery' started by PoPSiCLe, Oct 21, 2013.

Hi. I'm trying to find a usable inline-editor for a page I'm building, and after much trial and error, I've (for now) landed on X-editable. Which, for the most part, seems like a good enough editor, except it's not.

First of all - the documentation sucks, which I guess isn't a first when it comes to jQuery plugins. However, the worst bit is that some of the possibilities doesn't seem to work at all - for instance the "escape: false/true"-function, which is supposed to give you pure HTML-tags etc. in textarea edits.

Now, I'm wondering if anyone has used X-editable with success on their site, and if so, can provide me with some real-life examples on (advanced) usage. Or, if anyone has better suggestions for an inline, jQuery-based editor.

I have the following specs:
    • should provide a choice of inline/popup editor
    • should provide buttons for submitting and cancelling, as well as using enter and escape
    • should be relatively easy to style yourself (adding classes and/or editing existing CSS)
    • should, if using say textarea, allow for either WYSIWYG editing or showing HTML used in the original text area to be edited (UL, P, BR, etc)
    • should allow for multiple editable items for each page, or even one paragraph of text
    • must provide, either via built-in jQuery functionality, or in-app, db-connection through AJAX
    • should allow for activation through buttons which can be mapped to trigger edits on other elements
    • should work with any/all other jQuery plugins - especially jQuery UI
    • should be more or less seamless, unless activated
    • should provide built-in hooks or functions for displaying existing or provided success/error-messages, defined by me
    • should only rely on element-hooks provided by IDs and classes - not (like X-editable) using for instance data-type
    • as simple as possible - I don't need a full editor with full functionality - if used, the users can provide HTML-tags if needed, manually
    Anyone know anything about the escape-functionality in X-editable, or can provide me with tips about any other inline-editing packages? Because X-editable seems to be more or less usable, if only I could make it behave properly within textarea-editboxes, so as to display proper HTML and / or Rich Text editor

PoPSiCLe, Oct 21, 2013 IP