1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Problems with DP now.

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by finqoo, Aug 8, 2009.

1. patelsagar

patelsagar Peon

Best Answers:
    +1 :D

No answer yet :D

patelsagar, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You have an empty sig. Use it to promote your contest thread if you want more exposure.

jhmattern, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  3. x.marty.x

x.marty.x Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't post in other areas of the forum, so that wouldn't work, would it?

Look at my history, all of my posts are from my own threads, so that's not going to work.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    x.marty.x, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  4. patelsagar

patelsagar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, that's a possible way. But why you people assume that all members have enough time to "promote" their service/thread by posting on daily basis?

P.S. I am talking about others, not me.

5. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    Why would people assume that unpaid moderators have enough time to constantly clean out BST forums to promote other peoples services on a hourly basis?

aaron_nimocks, Aug 9, 2009 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  6. patelsagar

patelsagar Peon

Best Answers:
    That is why, many members here are asking for a paid BST section. The income can be paid to moderators (even when spamming would be much less due to paid section).

What the heck can be problem in that? Those scammers who would whine?

7. Love*

Love* Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Ok we get it, members must not post to please moderators who are unpaid & over-worked. Why should we make their jobs any harder when we can simply just not post? This sucks, is there no win/win situation here? :( Members are trying to do business after all, but now it's just impossible.. :(

Paid BST please, if it solves anything.

Love*, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  8. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Then don't do it. You're responsible for your own business, and that means learning how to use the tools made available to you effectively if you choose to use them at all. If you want to just post ads, just post ads. But don't expect the same results as someone who makes a more active effort to promote their offers and support their business. People who take responsibility and adapt will make it work for them. To those who don't, well then that's their loss.

As noted elsewhere, yes that's ideal on the surface. But it also opens up even more problems regarding payments, disputes, and customer services issues that we're currently not in a position to manage. Paid BST also wouldn't mean that people stop getting infractions and bans. There would still be rules and people would still have to follow them. We'd just have to deal with even louder bitching when someone gets banned for posting things they weren't allowed to, but then they'd feel like they paid for the privilege to post whatever the hell they wanted.

9. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    Since I have been a moderator I always suggest a paid BST. While I am here that is where I spend most of my time.

There is a lot that could be involved in going paid though. Collecting money, refunding, complaints, still moderating, ect. Its not as simple as clicking the paid BST button in admin panel.

My suggestion before was this.

User submits thread in BST.
    Waits for it to approved by Moderator.
    Pays
    Thread goes live and CANT be edited by user.
    All sales final, no refunds.

This would require custom coding of course and would take some time.

But since that hasnt happened and might not ever we need to deal with how to properly run a FREE BST and this is the solution that was agreed upon.

aaron_nimocks, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  10. patelsagar

patelsagar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, "collecting money" - a Task to do? Well, that's real easy, believe the sellers on this please :D
    Refunding- Just state that no refunds are given, I don't think PayPal will fight against that.
    Complaints- which type of complaints?
    Still moderating- Well, after getting paid, mods have to moderate :p

The procedure you mentioned is live in BHW forum, for the note. There users need to PM admin directly with thread content included in PM.

If admin can make his community unhappy, coding shouldn't be that difficult to be done (IF required at all).

And above all, admin must be enjoying nice Adsense income now to share with mods :D (and oh, traffic is increasing too!)

The origin of this change is in lack of enough moderators. So try to hire new paid moderators instead of suggesting someone to promote their signatures by posting and passing valuable time in it. Yes, we can learn to adapt changes, but that doesn't make the change to be so necessary.

11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    The issue isn't about paying moderators. Even if paid, it doesn't mean we'd have more time to moderate DP. We still have our own jobs, run our own businesses, etc. and those are priorities. It would also open the door to people who solely wanted to help moderate DP for pay, would increase accusations whenever people don't get their way (we have a lot of conspiracy nuts here), and would make it even harder for us to vote on mods who have decent intentions (and a real ability to deal with all of the crap we deal with daily).

Yes, it sounds easy just to say no refunds. It's easy just to say no bumping too, and look how well people listen to that. Shawn would open it up to dealing with constant disputes and chargebacks which can be time-consuming to deal with. Complaints have already been mentioned where this was brought up earlier - it would involve not only issues with people feeling entitled to post things they shouldn't just because they're paying for it, but would also involve more complaints when people don't like what others post in their threads (like legitimate negative reviews). We do not get involved in private business disputes, and the moment money's involved we'd have a bigger responsibility to do just that. The only way around it would be something like - pay, post, and then it's basically locked so deals are done privately through an "interested" button. Of course that's pretty much what we have right now... only you'd be paying for it too.

12. Love*

Love* Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, we understand that, but maybe putting the settings back to how it was would be considered if sellers were paying for their threads (since basically this is what sellers want)?

These current settings would be okay for a smaller forum, but DP is so big and there's new threads added all the time, it makes it so hard to spot a quality sales thread.

If sellers paid fees, it's good for both buyers & sellers, buyers will only be exposed to quality threads (most likely), & sellers get the old BST settings back (hopefully?).

We understand it'd be just like how it's always been with the infractions & the rules, & just because we want those settings back doesn't mean we're going to bump our threads (& if we do, you know what to do), but assuming that people leave reviews on our threads etc, at least our threads get seen, even if the visibility life is short, at least there's actually some remote visibility once in a while that could possibly lead to sales.

Love*, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  13. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    The fact that DP is so big is precisely why the old system wasn't working. Just as there are a lot of people posting new threads, there are a lot of people who bump for that same visibility. Also remember that comments here don't necessarily reflect the majority (look at the poll and other threads here where others aren't minding it, consider the fact that the majority of people have not posted at all about it, and the fact that people have a tendency to complain louder than they compliment - meaning those who are happy have no reason to waste time posting about it when they're busy doing business). And remember that there's more to BST than sellers.

14. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Those new changes to the bst section are horrible. I was offering a directory submission service there, after the change nobody is contacting me anymore to request my service. Before the changes I was receiveing around 4 orders daily, now I'm not receiving any orders at all. :eek:

archangel, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  15. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I do not see advertisment in your signature. It can't hurt you!

Smyrl, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  16. ravex

ravex Peon

Best Answers:
    Sharing my feedback on this as well since my sales has not been great with this change.

As a new writer providing my service on DP, this is my experience, i had terrible response to my service, not 1 Pm about my service since this change started.

This was right after my service took off despite good feedback of my service from other members in my thread.

After trying to figure out why, i realize a couple of important things

Firstly, I agree that Signature DO NOT work simply because

1) Most buyers will only look in BST section and not other sections. So those who see my signature outside of BST are not buyers or buyers don't go to those sections so it's useless.

Make sense?

2) Even if they do hang out in others section, they'll have to go to the specific section (out of many) and specific thread (out of many) i posted in to see my sig!

Finally they also need to be just the buyers looking for my specific type of service (example: writing, not web design)

What are the odds of that? :rolleyes: Zero. Or close to zero.

Secondly, what is the solution once my 12 day old service thread end up in page 15th where it will be viewed by nobody? Even page 3 or 4 is enough to kill any thread exposure, so i think it's back to same old problem.

With this scenario, my view is there is practically no chance of making much sales in BST, at least in my experience ( maybe others are getting great sales, i do not know).

This is just my feedback on how this new rule has affected me personally, my 2 cents.

ravex, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  17. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    I would be more inclined to believe that the poor response to your ad is not because of the format of the forum, but becaue you're claiming to be an English speaker...but your writing is very poor.

The first sentence of your sales thread isn't even written in proper English:

"I am a English speaker with college degree and i can research very well, thus providing for any niche except adult and dubious content."

If you can't even proofread your own sales copy, who is going to want to hire you as a writer?

TikTok, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  18. ravex

ravex Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, i have done work for a few established DP members and they are happy to leave good reviews in my thread despite my "poor" English. This does not include those who promised reviews but didn't hold up their end of the deal after a sample rate article was delivered.

I also have ongoing/repeated work so it's not that i am complaining about zero sales. I think you may have misread what i typed.

I will clarify again, i have poor (zero) response after the BST change came into effect, this is already a common feedback by other members in this thread or some others. I am not the only person revealing poor sales since BST format was changed so it's can't be just my thread.

I do understand people enjoy judging a book by it's cover, but it's not my style to provide good looking samples or sales copy. In fact, once i see any forums or chat room, i just start writing in a informal manner. The last thing i need after days of writing articles is to be "perfect" again outside of work. Just for my own sanity. :)

I think my points raised about why advertising via Signature is not gonna work should be considered.

Thank you for your feedback about my thread anyway. ;)

Cheers

ravex, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  19. Love*

Love* Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    But it's either you're good at grammar or not, and if you are you wouldn't do it any other way except for the right way. It shouldn't come as a burden, instead just a form of habit. How does speaking correctly make you go insane? :p Perhaps you should consider a different career path. ;)

Love*, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  20. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    And as someone (Will.Spencer I believe) already pointed out, if they're not spending money with you, they're spending money with someone else. Someone is making out better with the changes, as the fundamental buyer / seller groups haven't changed much in this short period of time (and Shawn's already acknowledged that traffic's increased rather than decreased as some people claimed it would after the changes). Those who are really serious about doing business will adapt and thrive. Those who aren't will choose not to adapt, and they'll lose money (and hopefully they were smart enough to diversify their income streams from the get go instead of foolishly relying on a single 3rd party service beyond their control).