1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Problematic Buy/Sell/Trade Areas...

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Jan 14, 2014.

1. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Better to get to the root of the issue... If there are no threads, there are also no replies, so I guess in a round-about way, we are already doing that.

Plus, when it comes down to it, the only way to really do that would be to allow anonymous posting (because again, we are trying to cut down on people replying via conversation as well). If they are anonymous sale threads and there is no way to reply or contact the seller, they *really* become pointless, don't you think? :)

digitalpoint, Apr 6, 2014 IP
  2. Derek Land

Derek Land Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just do an English language test. If they can't spell right or get punctuation correct, they can't list items. It is an English forum, after all. kindasortanotreallysrs :D

Derek Land, Apr 6, 2014 IP
  3. super

super Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So basically you do not want legit adult sites being sold on DP?

super, Apr 6, 2014 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That certainly would be my preference, yes.

digitalpoint, Apr 6, 2014 IP
  5. Derek Land

Derek Land Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I agree with you 100% on that.

Derek Land, Apr 6, 2014 IP
  6. abraxas

abraxas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is really good idea, those spammy comments are forbidden long time ago anyway. This along with limiting the number of posts per user for some given period should solve the problem.
    At the other hand, the premium membership wont really deal with link dealers who sell huge list from shitty domains and can post 2 threads a day, EVERY day of the year using different domain verification for their posts. I personally still get mails with list having hundreds of sites selling links...just because I bought a link/post for some client in the very distant past...

abraxas, Apr 7, 2014 IP
  7. risqq

risqq Member

Best Answers:
    Thats a bad idea. It's like buying a product without seeing what it looks like (And on the Internet, that's scary!)

You should be able to Window Shop, but just enough that it makes you want to come into the shop and sign up.

On the subject of marketplaces, I think the problem Digitalpoint has, is the type of people it attracts. It's all internet driven and some people really do exploit that. I've seen trading areas work just fine on sites as big as DP (AVforums.com for instance) but again, it attracts a different type of client or user in the first place.

I'm not all for moving to Paid options - It's never a good thing. Yes, it's a good alternative but people suggesting it should be paid don't get the bigger picture. You rule out a massive section of your community going behind a Paywall. Yes, it hopefully means they are more legit, but that isn't always the case either. If it was to go behind a Pay wall, the costs should be dropped Significantly or an additional membership option offered (Fast track account to those forums only for $5.99 a month or something?)

Buying or "Wanted" threads can be useful, but there use should be limited. Maybe change the rules regarding posting such ads (1 a month or something or the inability to post a new one until the old one is archived?)

Just some thoughts.

risqq, Apr 8, 2014 IP
  8. Derek Land

Derek Land Active Member

Best Answers:
    ^^ ...and it was supposedly put in place to stop spam and yet, whilst penalizing legitimate users, hasn't worked at all. It's frustrating, really. I'm fluent in English, don't post unless I add something beneficial, don't post the same stuff everyone else does over and over, and am yet penalized from using some sections while STILL being loaded with spam from that very section. I have no problem paying for something I use if it works, or paying for upkeep. At this point, it isn't working; there's no change from then to now. I mean, good gosh, for an extra $4 a month you can get access to a high end SEO forum with higher quality content - it doesn't have the large user base DP has, but then again, is that a bad thing?

From my own experience, temporary bans with eventual IP blocks for violators work.

Admins: Are there additional rollouts planned in order to actually try and stem spam conversations? If the pay change was simply to bolster the bottom line, just say that's what it's for - there's no shame in wanting to make money from your work.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    Derek Land, Apr 8, 2014 IP
  9. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    The current system has cut spam exponentially. Nothing in life is perfect but current situation on DP is so so much better.

Smyrl, Apr 8, 2014 IP
  10. risqq

risqq Member

Best Answers:
    Out of interest, what did you think of my suggestion? What is the definition of spam here? The system is flawed with the "likes" too. I've literally been trawling through the help section to see if I can help people, and there's people liking posts which have no relevance to anything. The problem is, you will always have a system which is exploited by the bad guys which hurts the good guys.

I read DP a lot and occassionally throw up a design contest, having had no issues in the past. I now have to get likes to do it, which again - defeats the purpose of likes. You should help people because you want to, not because it's forced. There's so much blantent false "Help" and likes that it makes me want to be a little bit sick.

DP continues to be an awesome site. It's just a shame that it attracted so many goons and crooks that these rules need to be put in place ;)

risqq, Apr 8, 2014 IP
  11. Derek Land

Derek Land Active Member

Best Answers:
    You see more than I do - which is obvious given you're a moderator - however for me it's gotten worse.

Just out of curiosity, has it improved by lowering Post spam or PM spam? That's what I'm having the issue with - I make a single post asking for information on a legitimate sale and get a bunch of convos from nitwits with crap websites trying to hawk their junk, which didn't happen before.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  12. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Your suggestion sounded like it came from the mouth of someone with more forum management experience that some others. :)

I can no more define spam than I can define what is a bad odor. I believe I can certainly recognize either when I come upon it.

LOL, I've been watching this forum since Digitalpoint announced the keyword tracer in 2004. You can say, "I'm older than dirt."

Smyrl, Apr 8, 2014 IP
  13. Derek Land

Derek Land Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nonsense. Age is a frame of mind, like being blonde. Now, if you're a blonde... no hope :D :p

14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Are they by chance in response to threads you made in the "Problematic" areas of Buy/Sell/Trade?

digitalpoint, Apr 8, 2014 IP
  15. Derek Land

Derek Land Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nope. I posted in one thread about the URL on a legitimate link sale, and got 3 or 4 spam convos.

16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Link Sales is one of the problematic areas this whole thread is about. Personally, I'd be fine with all those areas just being purged completely. They cause nothing but problems (as you have seen firsthand).

17. Derek Land

Derek Land Active Member

Best Answers:
    I know this seems like a rant - it's not, really - it's just I try to contribute to communities I belong to, as you've seen here; it's frustrating that while some features are now restricted the problem has coincindentally worsened, for me. I also realize that trying to hunt spam is like playing whack-a-mole - except it appears to me that someone just brought a bigger mallet without actually blocking the holes.

But then again, as Smyrl well noted, it's improved elsewhere... so the whole point of PM spam is moot.

:)

18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Would you have been happier if they weren't restricted, and rather just went away completely? Because that was the other option.

19. Derek Land

Derek Land Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, no do what you feel is best.

20. petertdavis

petertdavis Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't really care if the sections you reference go away, I don't use them anyway. I do use the buy threads though. Every now and then I'll post a buy thread in the sites for sale section. It's not easy to find sites listed and there are a lot of people who sell who'd rather not have their site listed in public anyway. I think one buy post a month would be more than enough per person though, and am happy that you still allow that kind of post. The only problem I ever run into here is the number of people from Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh who post useless stuff or PM me with useless stuff. Sometimes I think that all of DP's problems would be solved instantly if you just blocked those three country from membership on the forum.

petertdavis, Apr 9, 2014 IP