1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Problematic Buy/Sell/Trade Areas...

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have had some time to think this over and I definitely think you can pull the trigger on the link sales board because I watch the same people add no value here and just rip folks off with impunity.

That said, I think we need to start thinking about the services section because anything I see over there in the main board for SEO is not only spam its entirely deprecated methodology. We should not allow that stuff.

Nigel Lew, Jan 31, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  2. Garem

Garem Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Still Like the Link Sales!!!! While its not what it was used for a year ago and some methodologies there are ancient, there are still some good things there. Hope you keep it - My vote +

Garem, Feb 3, 2014 IP
  3. Bestservices4u

Bestservices4u Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Deleting the entire section is not at all a good idea. You can keep a limit on the number of threads one can create each day.
    Secondly, Removing or restricting buying section is not a good idea. I would like to give you an example:

Suppose, someone wants to hire a link builder at the specific rate of his choice, he can immediately start a buying thread mentioning that "I need a link builder for say, article submissions, I will pay this much amt. and other conditions" But if the "buying thread" option is restricted, then he need to contact each and every seller on the "services" section and have to tell him his requirements. This would take lot of time and would waste the time of both buyer and seller. Otherwise, if the buyer has his own thread, only those sellers will respond who are interested in the buyer prices and task etc.

I, personally create many buying threads and it really serves a lot of useful purpose for me. Whenever I am in need of any service-SEO, link builders, content writers, I immediately come to DP and open "buying thread", specify my requirements and boy, I get my man within 15-30 minutes. Its really worth to keep the "buying threads" without any restrictions.

Now, what you can do is put limit on the number of "buying threads" one can open each day, based on section wise. Ideally,

* Not more than 2 buying threads per day per section

Frankly, Buyers are the backbone of any marketplace. Restricting them in any way would loose you really tons of members and visitors.

Bestservices4u, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  4. chicon

chicon Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am infrequent user (once a month or so) of the site. The main reason I come here is for the link market place. I have placed buying ads and it has made it easier for me. Yes, that could be considered lazy, but it is also a way to specify my particular requirements. I would be disappointed if you did away with the Buying threads and Links sales. Based on the stats that you quote, it would also be a bad thing for many other members. There are some good sellers and buyers on the site and we would have to go somewhere else if it was shut down.

chicon, Feb 4, 2014 IP
    Zain Malik likes this.
  5. Zain Malik

Zain Malik Active Member

Best Answers:
    Glad to read regarding the threads themselves are only viewable by logged in users. It's really worth appreciated.
    &
    I'm speechless to say something regarding thread because i am reading all answer's.

Yeah agreed with your suggestion, I would be disappoint as well if you did away with the Buying threads and Links sales even it is great earning source and building links source for me and other's members as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
    Zain Malik, Feb 6, 2014 IP
  6. abraxas

abraxas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK, 85, 86 with this one posts for three weeks now.

I think Shawn has done way too far-good asking us to share our opinions on the theme, so fuckin' go share it! It is his forum, and he kindly wanted opinions from us!
    There are a lot, although not comparable to few years ago, threads in the BST section, so if you are about it just say what you think about it...
    Frankly, after all BST is about to SEO-ing some site or to sell links for a profit. In both cases those who look there should have smth to say I believe. Or?

That's actually the only forum I am in(obviously there is quite a reason for...) and maybe sharing your mind on the theme will keep you here too, and also be able to buy/sell/trade links and services.
    I wont bother digging the statistics that Shawn posted some pages before that one, but still there are a lot of offers - both selling/buying, so simply share your opinion.

I believe that thread was created exactly for that, no matter what the outcome will be!

abraxas, Feb 8, 2014 IP
  7. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    This is still open for discussion since nothing really has happened/been decided yet.

Have been looking through various metrics, and since the "problematic" areas were removed from Google's search index, we have seen a huge increase in overall visitors coming from organic search. Since the change (about 3 1/2 weeks ago), we have seen a 21.96% increase in total visitors coming from organic search (with a lower bounce rate too) vs. the 3 1/2 weeks before the change.

upload_2014-2-10_11-54-24.png

And yes, part of that is because the previous 3 1/2 week period included the holidays, so you can't *exactly* compare directly.

But if you take the holidays out of the equation, we still end up with an 8.42% increase in organic search visitors by REMOVING those "low quality" ~360,000 threads/1,400,000 posts from Google's search index.

upload_2014-2-10_11-57-25.png

Not sure exactly why... maybe Google sees the overall quality of the site as better so it's ranking the better quality content higher?

digitalpoint, Feb 10, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  8. abraxas

abraxas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is for sure!
    Look at it from this point of view - a lot of threads in the BST section are very similar. I mean the niches - someone is either buying or selling, let's say health related links. The difference between most posts will be almost only the page rank and pricing if mentioned. So after all it all ends up as ~duplicate content. Once removed at least part of it will surely yield better results :)

Anyway, the increase in visits sounds very good. ...Not sure what holidays you meant though...

abraxas, Feb 10, 2014 IP
  9. passcrk2005

passcrk2005 Member

Best Answers:
    Well,
    I use this section of the forum.
    Mainly for buying links.

Anyway I post something once at two months or once a month...

I think the problem is with the sellers... which just spam with their spamy websites the forum and also our inbox...

I think the best way is to create something like a rating style...
    You can create a thread only if you have a positive ranking as a buyer. You can create a thread only if you have a positive rank as a seller etc..

The main problem is with the people who see your requirements.

I think just 10% of all the sellers read the post created by me, I ask something and they just send me a list of crappy sites....

It must be created something like report and the reason... and of course to take measures..

passcrk2005, Feb 19, 2014 IP
  10. bullfrogco

bullfrogco Member

Best Answers:
    I'm new-ish here, so take my input for what it's worth.

I only really have input on the link marketplace issue, but some of the principles might apply to the other questions at hand.

Background and disclaimer:
    I build relevant private links to some of my sites, and to client sites, from other sites that I own ... it works for SEO. Very well, if you do it correctly. So maybe I'm in that shady-marketer-who-has-no-business-here category ...

I've only bought links from someone else once, on a different forum. I got a ranking boost, but I'm not personally willing to lay out a bunch of cash to build links to my sites in what might be a bad neighborhood.

I did post, for the first time, a "selling" post here just the other day to see what would happen. I own many good domains and selling links MIGHT be an additional revenue stream I want to consider.

People are going to buy and sell links, so here's how I look at it ... either:
    1. Take a stand and make them do it somewhere else.
    2. Let them do it here and put a process in place so you get paid and it's worth it to deal with the headaches -- force sellers to pay you to list ... either a per-listing fee or a super-premium monthly membership.
    Assuming that I decide to get serious about selling links, I know that I would be happy to pay $100+ per month to be able to list my services somewhere that I know my audience spends a lot of time. If charging sellers a premium fee doesn't make your headache go away ... kick them to the curb. Nothing is worth doing if it doesn't make you happy (unless it makes you rich, because then you can pay someone else to manage the headache while you're off doing what actually makes you happy).

Cheers! You're running a nice community here. Thanks!

bullfrogco, Feb 19, 2014 IP
  11. baldonius

baldonius Member

Best Answers:
    The link sales section is fantastic in principle, but there are a lot of scammers in there. I've been offered links on PR8 domains for well-renowned magazines that the 'seller' clearly has no affiliation with.

It's usually obvious when someone's offering you one of those domains but if someone didn't do their due diligence they could lose hundreds of dollars. If you ask me that's their own fault and responsibility but still a few scammers to ban from that section.

Doing away with the section completely would be a bad idea in my opinion @digitalpoint but more moderation is definitely needed.

baldonius, Feb 25, 2014 IP
  12. 1234nasir

1234nasir Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    take it serious, Alexa also decreases as in the past it was near about 200.
    May be its due to your strict policies after upgrading the forum. So you may grip on all the concerns with soft hand.

1234nasir, Feb 26, 2014 IP
  13. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep, but as discussed in the past, the only users that contribute to raising your Alexa ranking tend to be low quality users (high quality user tend to not have Alexa toolbar installed).

digitalpoint, Feb 26, 2014 IP
  14. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    I am glad you said that, Man, I have felt that way for 8 years, but never wanted to argue.....with the fellas.

I feel so "un crazy" now.......time to give my cat a treat, I told her, Alexa sucked, she said my opinion was puuurrrrrfect LOL

sundaybrew, Feb 26, 2014 IP
  15. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Thankfully.

Take a look at:
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/one-month-after-switching-from-vbulletin-to-xenforo.2637721/

Speaking as another member, it doesn't seem to me that the policies are particularly strict. They have not really changed either. Sure, Established Member requirements are different now, but it's a lot quicker to attain and not very difficult (except for absolute idiots).

ryan_uk, Feb 26, 2014 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  16. swordude

swordude Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just a thought, and this may have already been brought up, but have you considered a fee to create [WTB] threads? It wouldn't have to be much, maybe $5 or so, but it would definitely weed out the lazy people and make these threads a little more worthwhile. I see tons of buying threads that consist of one sentence, or even just half a sentence, but for the most part all of the selling threads are much more thought out.

swordude, Feb 27, 2014 IP
  17. vickyraj1988

vickyraj1988 Banned

Best Answers:
    I red most of the reply and make an decision that Buy/Sale section is very important for DP as well as for its respected Members. If you remove this section majority of DP's Member will move for another Forum. and i know you never want such result.

Act as a genius and work on problem because deletion of whole section is not a solution and no one can appreciate it. It also showing weakness of your think panel. I personally assuming you are not so.

Think wisely & Act Wisely
    I am with you :)

vickyraj1988, Mar 3, 2014 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Am I the only one that sees the irony here?;)

Spoiltdiva, Mar 4, 2014 IP
    averyz likes this.
  19. elephantman

elephantman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am brand new to the site and thought I would chime in.

I am not an internet marketer, per se. I still haven't figured this game out.

However, I came to this forum looking to sell links to a legit website that I own (four years old) with great stats. After getting email after email from unsolicited strangers asking for guest posts, pay for guest posts, etc., I started digging on the subject of selling links and came here.

I have sent three PMs to individuals in the last 12 hours who stated they are buying links or posts. So far, one has responded and we have engaged in meaningful dialogue. I have scanned the link sales pages and it does appear to have a lot of shady operators in there. I can't say that I would blame you for making any changes. I even see the benefits of throwing it into paid membership status.

With that said, I doubt I would pay for a membership since I do not have dozens of sites. And I am not sure how much time I would spend coming back to the site. But, frankly, the value I add to your forum is virtually nil.

I think purging the threads after 30 days or whatever is the way to go. I think there is some merit to the due dilligence aspect...but Craigslist doesn't keep old posts for due diligence reasons.

Some recommendations from my untrained/limited experience:

Purge posts that are x days old
    Limit number of threads that can be started by members
    Raise number of likes required to post (this would suck for me...lol) but I think would really weed out crappy/spammy members.
    Require x number of words per post or standardized information and suspend/ban those who do not include it in their starting thread. For example:

website subject/content area
    PR
    Domain Authority
    Moz Trust
    Majestic Citation Flow
    Majestic Trust Flow

etc.

Anyway, personally, nearly anything you do is going to make it more difficult for me to participate even though I am legitimate. But, I fully understand that I am in the minority and that sometimes you have to throw the baby out with the bath water...

elephantman, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  20. stevethekid

stevethekid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes, I believe you should keep those areas, such as buying/selling links, However charging a yearly membership for that section would /should keep it to serious users...and cut down on tons of rubbish being posted. I would be happy to pay a small yearly membership to be able to access the buy/sell links section...if it was membership only

stevethekid, Mar 31, 2014 IP