1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Problem with spam

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by adda4u, Feb 6, 2010.

Hi

In my forum i closed the direct registrations until i approve they won't be the members. But the problem is even i havent approved they are sending PMS\'s

Totally irritating with similar message

What i need to do ????

adda4u, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  2. 1-3-3-7

1-3-3-7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What software are you using? Do a search on the mods. site for it to disallow PMs with members who don't have X amount of posts yet, that should help cut that down. Also, limit the amount of PMs a member can send as well.

1-3-3-7, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  3. Stingerftw

Stingerftw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If your using phpBB 3.0.6 you can use the built in "Newly registered users" feature and set a certain amount of posts then set PM privileges to "Never" for the "Newly registered users" group.

Stingerftw, Feb 7, 2010 IP
  4. adda4u

adda4u Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I m using vbulletin

I think both suggestions are too good i ill implement them

adda4u, Feb 7, 2010 IP
  5. tercede

tercede Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Put newly registered users in a group where PM's are not allowed. When they reach a certain criteria (e.g. post count), auto promote them to a new user group that allows PM's.

Cheers,
    :)

tercede, Feb 7, 2010 IP
  6. ramankumar

ramankumar Peon

Best Answers:
    Try to make a search of newly registered users. Check which new users have registered from the day, you are facing this problem. Limit on PMs on all those and then release them one by one. Hopefully, you can catch the S**t.

ramankumar, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  7. Woody10

Woody10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  8. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is exactly what I did, and then I set the promotion script to only run once per hour.

Members of my forum have to have X number of post, and have to be a member for up to one hour before they can send PMs.

I thought about changing the promotion script to run once per day, but I dont know about that yet.

After I set that group up - which was 2 years ago, I have not had any private message spammers.

~kev~, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  9. tercede

tercede Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is it a cron job? I thought vbulletin had some kind of auto promotion based on post count..

tercede, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  10. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its a cron job that checks the promotions.

admin control panel - left column - usergroups - promotions - add new promotion -

Promotion Strategy: Post
    Promotion Type: Primary usergroup
    Move User to Usergroup: The new group you just created

Admin control panel - left column - Scheduled Tasks - Scheduled Task Manager - User Promotions - set it to run when you want it to.

The default group for new users is "registered users" - there is nothing you can do about that. So you have to create a new user group, I called mine "Full Members".

Restrict the permissions of the "registered users" group so that they can not send out private messages, can not post profile comments, can not download or upload files,,,,, whatever else you want.

A private message spammer will join, see they can not send private messages or post profile comment spam and will leave.

I have not had a single PM spammer in 2 years. If I get one, I will increase the time for the promotion script to run, and the increase the post count required to send private messages.

Spammers want to get in and get out. They do not want to sit there and wait for the promotion script to run.

~kev~, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  11. Abhik

Abhik ..:: The ONE ::..

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    vBulletin has a built in SPAM Management system.
    You can also install a mod from cybernatics to prevent members to send PMs before they reach a certain count of posts.

Abhik, Mar 2, 2010 IP
  12. kmoneil

kmoneil Member

Best Answers:
    Try fassim.com vbulletin mod. It moderates posts and does registration blocks.

kmoneil, Mar 29, 2010 IP