1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Problem with Response.AddHeader in IE

Discussion in 'C#' started by sparky753, May 5, 2008.

I have the following statement in my ASP page:

<a href="DownloadFile.asp?File=<%= Server.URLEncode(myFile.Name) %>"><% Response.Write myFile.Name %></a>
    Code (markup):
    On clicking the link, the code on DownloadFile.asp uses a request.querystring to retrieve the name of the file:

strClientFileName = Request.QueryString("File")

Response.Write strClientFileName

strServerFilePath = conDownloadFolder & "\" & strClientFileName

strMIMEContentType = "text/plain"

Set objFS = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    	Set objStream = objFS.OpenTextFile(strServerFilePath, 1)
    	strFileData = objStream.ReadAll()
    	Call objStream.Close()
    	Set objStream = Nothing
    	Set objFS = Nothing

If Response.Buffer Then
    		Call Response.Clear
    		Response.Buffer = False
    	End If

Response.Expires = -100
    	Response.CacheControl = "no-cache"
    	Response.ContentType = strMIMEContentType
    	Call Response.AddHeader("Pragma", "no-cache")
    		Call Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=" & strClientFileName)

'this works inline
    	'Call Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "inline; filename=" & strClientFileName)

Call Response.Write(strFileData)

Session("HttpDownload.TransferSeconds") = DateDiff("s", dtTransferStart, Now())
    Code (markup):

When I click on the link in Firefox, the Save As/Open dialog box opens with the correct filename and if I click Save, it saves the file correctly. eg:myfile08.txt

But when I click on one of the link in IE, it opens the Save As/Open dialog box but asks if I want to Save/Download the file
    DownloadFile_asp?File=myfile08_txt

I am baffled. I know the correct filename is getting passed as indicated by my Response.Write strClientFileName statement at the beginning of the DownloadFile.asp page. Also, the inline option works perfectly:
    Call Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "inline; filename=" & strClientFileName)
    Code (markup):
    But the attachment option only works in Firefox. IE can't seem to figure out what to do with it. Please help!!!

Thanks...

sparky753, May 5, 2008 IP