1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Problem with Godaddy nameserver setup (DNS issue?)

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Dejavu, May 6, 2006.

I decided to join in on aaron's website ideas, and registered the domain name
    http://www.stupid-criminals.com/

There was some issues with godaddy not accepting my credit card, and had to re-enter the info maybe 10 times, with Godaddy's system that really is broken in this area (it auto-redirects you from the form you are supposed to fill, to the image verification.. and then complains that you didnt fill the fields.. stupid)

but thats not really the point, the problem is this:
    I change the nameservers, but not matter what I do, I keep getting the 'Server not found' when I go to the page. I even tried to reset the nameservers to the default godaddy parked nameserver, but no luck
    It is currently parked at Godaddy, please take a look (can you see anything?): http://www.stupid-criminals.com/

I really dont know what to do now.. any help is greatly appreciated.

Dejavu, May 6, 2006 IP
  2. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The parked page loaded fine.

You need to buy a hosting package somewhere before you change the nameservers. Have you bought one?

Even if the nameserver changes were accepted you might not be able to see the changes for up to 48 hours. A lot less than that is normal but it can take that long. To keep this explanation simple think of it this way. The NS info is stored in hubs that all traffic is routed through. The farther removed from the main hub the longer it takes for the new NS address info. I have had changes take effect within an hour and I have seen it take the full 48 hours. I have seen it resolve now and not work an hour later depending on the request is routed.

Hope this helped.

Colbyt, May 6, 2006 IP
  3. Dejavu

Dejavu Peon

Best Answers:
    It loaded for you?
    All I am seeing still is the 'server not found' page, as if I am looking that does not exist (eg http://w.sfldsjfljsdlk.dfdddf/ )
    Can it by that my ISP is caching the wrong data? doesnt really make sense to me.

(I setup the nameserver to my site, and 48h later still nothing. Then I changed it back, and now over 40h later, I still dont see anything. )

But you are sure it is loading for you?

Dejavu, May 6, 2006 IP
  4. RatDog

RatDog Peon

Best Answers:
    I see your parked page, too.

RatDog, May 6, 2006 IP
  5. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    just-4-teens, May 6, 2006 IP
  6. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Try clearing the cache files on your local computer. As in delete temporary internet files.

The do not use a bookmarked link. Type the url in carefully.

And remember it can take up to 48 hours for dns records to resolve. Unsual but possible. I am almost on a backbone and I usually see results in about an hour but it wasn't always that way.

Where are you located?

Colbyt, May 7, 2006 IP
  7. Dejavu

Dejavu Peon

Best Answers:
    I solved this thanks, after another nameserver change.
    (note to self: be more patient next time)

Dejavu, May 7, 2006 IP
  8. theblight

theblight Peon

Best Answers:
    I cant see it....propagation mostly takes upto two (2) consecutive days...

theblight, May 8, 2006 IP
  9. DynamicMK

DynamicMK Peon

Best Answers:
    I have problem with nameservers too... I setup it and wait for about 10 hours, nothing happend... then i reset the ns... So finaly after 18 hours the web was working... And now it doesnt work again... Is it because I reset the nameservers and I should wait now for another 18+ hours...
    Pls help me i dont know what to do...

DynamicMK, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  10. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you reset the nameservers to the exact same numbers you will be fine. If you changed them back to parked and then back to the real numbers you may have to wait the full time of 24-48 hours.

Even though you got through once at the 10 hour point it does not mean that all hops on the route have the proper information. Depending on how your request is routed you might get there one time and not get there the next time.

Make sure the correct nameservers are set and then wait! Once correct leave them alone.

Colbyt, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  11. DynamicMK

DynamicMK Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes... it was good for about 3-4 hours and now it doesnt work again...
    I should wait right?
    Thx Colbyt

DynamicMK, Jul 8, 2007 IP