1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Problem with Facetted Search?

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by LustForJoy, Aug 5, 2011.

Hi there,

I am experiencing heavy load on my server and thus my website doesnt load in the browser from time to time due to high usage of RAM memory. The server tends to crash every night between 0 and 3 o'clock middle european time.

Now, I have checked the log in the admin area of my drupal installation and detected that there are thousands of entries for facetted search every day.

May that be the reason for the heavy load on my server? I doubt that there are so many natural searches on my site. Maybe someone are attacking my website through requests with facetted search.

I dont have thorough knowledge of Drupal and programming. So I hope, someone of you may help me.

Thank you.

LustForJoy, Aug 5, 2011 IP
  2. dennisb

dennisb Member

Best Answers:
    Some essential information is missing like the amount of ram, the setup you are using (CPU, Apache, Nginx, APC, Memcache, Varnish, Linux distro etc.), configuration (webserver, MySQL etc.), traffic (detailed traffic over the day - because you are having troubles at night as you said) etc. also another tip try the Drupal forum for advanced support.

You logged the searches, who did the searches? All the same ip or ip-range? Did you tried to disable or minimize the search function? It's guessing with the information you are currently sharing.

dennisb, Aug 12, 2011 IP
  3. cerno

cerno Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you might want to run a java-based faceted search system, this is the best solution for Drupal websites with thousands of pieces of data or searches
    you need a VPS with a couple of gigs of ram to operate such a system
    If you have money to spend to add such a system to your website I can help you

cerno, Aug 13, 2011 IP