1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Problem Opening PDF File

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by crystak, Mar 4, 2008.

What's wrong with the links on this page: http://pastpapers.org/human-health-disease-biology-papers

For example, when you press on QP or MS I get no page found, but those links are meant to download the .pdf file and open it either in the standalone program or in another tab. In Firefox, the little download manager (ctrl+j) opens but it doesn't save the pdf file properly so I can't open it.

How can I solve this problem and make those files downloadable ??

crystak, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  2. nicangeli

nicangeli Peon

Best Answers:
    nicangeli, Mar 4, 2008 IP
    crystak likes this.
  3. crystak

crystak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    crystak, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  4. nicangeli

nicangeli Peon

Best Answers:
    They open in new windows/tabs here. Tested in IE6 and FF2.

Strange.

nicangeli, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  5. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't force it on people. Many FF users have their browser configured to already open things either in a new tab, new page, or new window. If the user doesn't have Adobe (cause they run Linux or something, like me) the browser will stay open anyway and the control box (from FF) will pop up anyway and ask the user if they want to open this file or download it. Then the viewing programme opens on their desktop.

My colleague made a site which I am rewriting which has target="blank" (which isn't recommended for accessibility reasons anyway) and if I clicked on a PDF, I'd get both a new window which was empty AND the PDF viewing programme (called Document Viewer). It was a waste of work for the browser ad made me have to close like three windows.

Stomme poes, Mar 4, 2008 IP