1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Problem accessing one of my blog sites!

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by introdor, Jun 4, 2008.

Hi

I have a very strange problem with one of my sites and I really hope someone is able to shed some light on this for me!

Quite often the site "goes down". I can't access it. Now up until yesterday I always thought that this was a global problem, i.e. that no one was able to access the site. However yesterday my wife and a friend both confirmed they were able to access the site without any problem from their work machines. At the same time, I couldn't.

Since then, a few more people have also said the site was fine. So it looks that the problem is actually just me, and has always been just me!

Anyway, the last few times the site has come back "online" for me, has been approximately 5pm local time, which is 1pm GMT. I have no idea if the timing is significant but thought I'd better mention it.

Since yesterday I have spoken to the guy who hosts the site for me and whilst I couldn't access my site I was able to access other sites that he stated are on the same server. So it looks like the server isn't blocking me.

He asked me do do a "tracert" command on the server's IP address and all seemed fine, although it took 21 hops to return.

Like I said above, the site came back "online" for me yesterday at 5pm again. And I was able to work on it until I went to bed. Now I get up this morning and it's "down", but again it looks like it's just for me. Other people are getting into it as normal.

Does anyone have any ideas? Perhaps it's a local setting on my machine I don't know about? But if it were, why doesn't it effect other sites and not just this one?

The site is a WordPress blog. Another theory, does anyone think there could be a setting or a plugin that could be causing this? Then again, if it were, wouldn't this mean no one could get in the site? Just thinking aloud here!

Becasue I always thought it was a global problem I thought it was a hosting issue and was going to transfer the site, but that doesn't appear to be the problem now and I am at a complete loss as to what is causing this site to "go down" for me all the time. I'm desperately trying to work on this site too at the moment so it's really frustrating not being able to access it.

Oh, something else I've just thought of... Sometimes when the site is down for me I am unable to send or receive emails from the domain, which I suppose would make sense. However, other times like now, the site is down for me but I can send and receive emails! What's that all about?

When it is down, it is down on different broswers too. I have IE, FireFox, Opera and Safari windows. I thought it might have been a browser setting but it doesn't work on any. Unless of course there is a setting on all of them that's the problem, but why would it only effect this one site?!!

I'm running Vista unfortunately but again if something in this was causing the problem, why / how just on this one site?

As you can see this is a very strange and perplexing problem and I would so appreciate it if anyone knows what the problem could be and how to fix it.

Many thanks for your help
    Rik

PS some of you reading this may have read a post I made yesterday regarding a problem I have with categories in Wordpress, it is the same site that has both these problems! Don't think they are connected, but thought best to mention it.

introdor, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  2. aboyd

aboyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's possible that you have a really terrible & rare caching bug. You could see if the problem is with your cache by simply using a different browser on the same computer. Does the site suddenly work? If so, the browser that can't view it is at fault.

If the browser turns out to be the culprit, I'd get into the options and clear the cache. If that doesn't resolve it, clear the cookies & any other temporary files that the options allow you to remove.

Good luck.

aboyd, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  3. introdor

introdor Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure the browser if the problem as I have tried IE, FF, Safari and Opera and they all don't work. Plus it is just on this one site! Wouldn't there be a global problem is it were the cache? I'm not very technical so if that's a stupid question, sorry!

But I will try to clear the cache etc to see what happens. Thanks again.

Rik

introdor, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  4. introdor

introdor Peon

Best Answers:
    Quick Update:

When the site is "down" for me (as it is at the moment) and I try to access the site using FTP (FileZilla) I get the following:

Error: Invalid hostname or host not found
    Error: Critical error
    Error: Could not connect to server

Also, at the moment, I am able to send and receive email on this domain. Do not understand that! If it is apparently an "Invalid host or host not found" how is it sending and receiving emails on it?

Plus, the hostname is correct, I know that for a fact!

Many thanks!

introdor, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  5. UseShots

UseShots Peon

Best Answers:
    UseShots, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  6. aboyd

aboyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm. In that case, you might be able to just put a band-aid over the problem. Try this. Go here and learn how to modify your hosts file:

http://www.modwest.com/help/kb8-52.html

Then, add this line to your hosts file:

209.200.224.60 thesoccer-blog.com

Save the file and restart your computer. Now it should ALWAYS have an IP address for thesoccer-blog.com, and it should never need to look it up. If the IP address changes, you'll need to update your hosts file. Good luck.

aboyd, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  7. introdor

introdor Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi again

Caches etc have all been cleared, no change I'm afraid!

Cheers
    Rik

introdor, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  8. introdor

introdor Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi UseShots

Thanks for that site, will definitely be using that. At the moment it is showing the site as being "up"!

Hi aboyd

Thanks for your post too, will also definitely give that a try!

Cheers
    Rik

introdor, Jun 5, 2008 IP