1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Previewing PHP on computer...

Discussion in 'PHP' started by mark1, Apr 25, 2005.

mark1, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  2. andyroo

andyroo Peon

Best Answers:
    :) Yup, you probably have answered your own question there :)

Download the windows version of php, and you can happily install it against an instance of apache server and run your local development environment that way.

You can even complete the picture by installing the windows version of mysql.

I have done this a few times, though I still find it more convenient to use a remote server. Still, I suppose this might depend on the speed of connection.

andyroo, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  3. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    My 2 cents....

If you are serious about coding and testing, have seperate machines. My setup.

I have a desktop I use for coding(php, lotus notes, mysql, etc..), my development machine.

I have a used machine setup as a testing machine (has swap drives for a linux/apache/php/myslq server and a M$/Lotus Notes Server).

After testing is complet, I use my desktop ftp program to move files from the test server directly up to the production environment(the real site).

Your real production environment, shouldn't have any apps running except what is required to serve up pages, so might as well setup a test machine just like your production machine. It cost me $100 bucks off ebay, and could have been cheaper if I just with an older machine.

hth,

tom

TommyD, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  4. mark1

mark1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm guessing you don't need that much power to run linux/apache/php/myslq? whats the specs on that testing machine?

mark1, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  5. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    I use WAMP5 server, it's Apache, PHP, and MySQL for windows, it's easy to install and allows you to code locally. Just google WAMPserver and you should be able to locate it.

palespyder, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  6. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    P3-733 128meg

An it's still very over powered, load tested a page(I thought did to many queries) and found it could do like hundreds of concurrent requests per second on the page.

Since you are the only one using it, you can get away with a lower powered machine(128 meg is pretty low, so I'm talking about cpu).

hth,

tom

TommyD, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  7. crew

crew Peon

Best Answers:
    I just started using Uniform server (http://www.uniformserver.com). It's a minimal installation of Apache, PHP, and MySQL. 3.6Mb download that you just have to extract and start a batch file to start the server and it's all ready to go. So far, this suits my needs perfectly.

crew, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  8. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    You think I could get away with using a REALLY old 250mhz box w/128 meg ram?

SEbasic, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  9. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    I used a P-200mhz - 256meg once as a linux server.

Worked ok, but i used the text based gui install. So Mark1, if you have an old pc laying around, might be ok to use that to test locally your php pages.

hth,

tom

TommyD, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  10. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    That's where I'll get things wrong ;)

SEbasic, Apr 25, 2005 IP