1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

preview new yahoo search

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by younghistorians, Nov 1, 2004.

younghistorians, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  2. daamsie

daamsie Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a fantastic feature! I'm really starting to become a Yahoo! fan. The whole portal approach of my.yahoo is tempting me more and more.

I wonder what the 'save' to my web function means for SEOs. I wonder whether it uses the same ranking rules as it would for other pages. For instance, I saved a page on my site to test: http://www.travellerspoint.com/keyphrase-test1.html - this page has only one word on it in the alt text of an image 'widgeterie' . When I search for 'widgeterie' in My Search, it doesn't find it - it only finds it if I search by text in the title bar. My question would be; does this mean that Yahoo! NEVER takes the alt text of images into account? If the algorithm was decided to be similar, SEOs could easily test on page optimisation by adding pages to their My Yahoo to at least make sure the words were being recognised - then add a few competitors pages for that keyword / phrase and you might know who's got the better on-page optimisation. A great propect!!

daamsie, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  3. dejaone

dejaone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, the UI is pretty much like google's. I get only a few visitors a day from Yahoo.

dejaone, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  4. Tid

Tid Peon

Best Answers:
    Well MSN is also in big time
    http://techpreview.search.msn.com/

Tid, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  5. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Looks like Yahoo is dong an A9 type search.

TwisterMc, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  6. clubbin714

clubbin714 Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks good. I also like what yahoo is doing in the search arena. Dont count them out yet.

clubbin714, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  7. eCommando

eCommando Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like MSN results.

eCommando, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  8. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Kind of helps with tracking your sites too as it puts a red arrow in search results if you've saved a site. ;)

TwisterMc, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  9. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Yahoo sucks. Plain and simple. (my opinion of course) Although I have to admit, it looks like they may be finally figuring out that the portal crap is just that, crap. I don't want a search page filled with all the other extraneous garbage that yahoo thinks I need to see. Just give me a search box and some simple navigation tools.

mopacfan, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  10. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    One persons trash is another persons treasure. ;)

TwisterMc, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  11. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    So True...

mopacfan, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  12. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I personaly don't like the portal look, nor do I need all that info that is presented, but I know people who do like it, they check stocks, scores, weather etc all from the same place. I like to find my own info, but that's not everybody, (maybe not even the majority)

exam, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  13. younghistorians

younghistorians Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even though they try to make My Yahoo completely changable, it still doesn't feel that way. It would be cool if you could change the stylesheet to your liking.

What Yahoo services do you guys use?

I've only been using Yahoo Mail (occasionally), Fantasy Sports, and Weather.

younghistorians, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  14. daamsie

daamsie Peon

Best Answers:
    I've got RSS feeds from my forum and various news sites running through there, plus a currency converter, some political cartoonists and the weather in a few different places.
    I actually have my own desktop aggregator + Sage in Firefox, but I'm kind of testing which I'll end up using most.. I actually don't care all that much for all that stuff, but something like this personal search would possibly get me back on a more regular basis. If only they had more up to date results!!

daamsie, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  15. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Mail, and only for use when signing up for questionable or spamy offers such as rebates, surveys, etc. This way I can just go in and empty the bulk folder once a month.

mopacfan, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  16. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    I wonder if Yahoo! will ultimately collect stats on which pages people save, and which ones people block for specific search terms. Right now, SEs rely on mathematics and basic computer logic to 'guess' at what people really want when they enter a search term.

Saved and/or blocked pages are those that have been reviewed by a human and deemed relevant or not, to a search. Now, since not every Joe Surfer is a good judge, I wouldn't weight that factor too heavily. But, I do think it is potentially very valuable information to any SE.

Just in case, I saved all of my sites and blocked my competitors :)

longcall911, Nov 6, 2004 IP