1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Press Releases - do I need permission?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Googles76, Oct 13, 2004.

I am thinking of making a website about cars and want to know if I need the manufacturer's permission to use press releases on my site. For example:
    http://www.audi.com/com/en/company/news/press-releases/press_releases.jsp

This site contains many articles (press releases) that I may want to put on my website. Do I need to contact Audi for permission to use them, or can I just go ahead as long as I give credits? :D

Googles76, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  2. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I believe that you can use them as long as you give credits. But, I'm not 100% sure of that...Anyone else know?

ViciousSummer, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  3. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use it. Thats the whole reason companies publish press releases.

xml, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  4. magellan

magellan Guest

Best Answers:
    Why not contact them and ask to be put on their press list :)

magellan, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  5. eduardomaio

eduardomaio Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi!
    I have a website about cars, and I use lots of Press Releases. You need the autorizathion of the manufacter to use their press release, and some do require to send them a copy of the article you write.

Other will ask for your press pass number. You can always email them if you want, but some manufacters will not give you the authorization to use their material.

eduardomaio, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  6. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're just repubishing the release exactly as it was published, then there is no need to seek permission. It is implicit with the release with the author fully expecting the release to be republished. If you alter the release in any way, then you would be responsible for getting permission to make the alterations.

mopacfan, Oct 14, 2004 IP
    schlottke likes this.
  7. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's a press release, meaning that the document is designed to be released to the press with the assumption that it will be reproduced in publications.

Infiniterb, Oct 19, 2004 IP
  8. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes...you can use a release (you can even edit it down), but you cannot claim authorship rights, or change quotes.

I do a lot of PR work (the old fashioned Public Relations stuff). There are a number of great press distribution sites where you can find releases for use as well. Most publications do NOT reprint releases exactly as written; they might use a quote or just a paragraph.

Sending out releases through Internet distribution services is also a great way to get quality backlinks for your site. PRweb.com is my favorite (it's free). They archive all releases and the pages are uber seo friendly. Don't send out spam releases though...be sure to take time and put something of value together.

Dreamshop, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  9. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    oh forgot to add....

In some cases you might need permission to use trademarked names. Depends on how you're using the info. It's possible that any commercial site (if you sell product) would put you in the danger zone. In that case I would contact the contact on the release for permission or to double check.

If you're running a news/info/education site only then it's probably not an issue.

Dreamshop, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  10. jasonleexxx

jasonleexxx Guest

Best Answers:
    jasonleexxx, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  11. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll agree with that; if you're really concernced you should check with an intellectual property lawyer....or better yet, just contact the media contact listed on the press release, and then get permission in writing (via email, fax, whatever). Heck, while you've got them on the line ask a few questions...you might even get an "exclusive" quote to add to the release info.

Dreamshop, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  12. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    They may have a public section regarding terms of use. All copyrighted data has legal requirements and re-publication is subject to the copyright holder's discretion. Typically, releases are sent out via AP or a service like PRWeb who has an existing agreement with their subscribers regarding TOS and they in turn will make sure that they have the appropriate rights to distribute the release within their network.

If there is no public TOS posted, then contact their PR department or media contact.

For the most part, they should be cooperative, providing you meet a minimal set of requirements and agree to their terms which would usually include Trademark recognition, reference to the original document/author/distribution channel, and an agreement to pull the data from your web site should a retraction be necessary.

They may want a set of data regarding your readers, and it would not be surprising if they were reluctant to allow re-publication for a newly created business.

nevetS, Feb 10, 2005 IP