1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

President Bush does not make his policies based on public oppinions...

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Nima, Jan 14, 2007.

I was just watching Fox News with Chris Wallace interviewing Dick Cheney.

Dick Cheney made a comment that I thought was outrageous.
    He responded to the question that why is the American government going against the majority of public opinion on sending more troops to Iraq...

"Mr. President does not and should not make his policies based public opinions)."

I have always considered the government to be there to execute what its people demands them to.

The government was chosen by people and should respect their requests. Not to throw them away when the government doesn't like it itself.

I can't understand how American people can stand a president and vice president in office that disrespects their opinions and flat out calls them wrong.

Again, even if people are wrong, it is not the job of the government to decide whether people are wrong. However it is the government's job to carry out what majority of the voters want them to do,

Nima, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  2. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Benjamin Franklin said it best: ""The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

I agree with Cheney's remarks, but that statement should have been made prior to the invasion of Afghanistan - just because the public wants a war (and they did), that doesn't mean we should do it.

The most disturbing part of that interview, to me, was the logic in staying involved in the war - to leave would give credence to our enemy's theory that the USA cannot stomach a war.

Whether or not we are involved in a conflict should have absolutely nothing to do with what the enemy says. To use that logic gives them power. Basically, all he said is that right now, we're Bin Laden's bitches because we'll do the opposite of what he says we'll do. What would we do if he said "American's don't have the stomach to give up cows."? Force vegetarianism on the masses? We'd have to. We don't want to give him any credibility... :rolleyes:

nevetS, Jan 14, 2007 IP
    gworld likes this.
  3. Rick_Michael

Rick_Michael Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, if that was true, Lincoln would have done otherwise. But Lincoln believed he knew what was best for America and did it (like it or not). There's many cases in history where the president makes decesions based against popular opinion.

What I find sad is that before America engaged in World War II, we had to wait to get attacked to justify entering that war. Americans were isolationists then, and really if was up to them...Europe (including Britain) would have been engulfed by Hitler.

Roosevelt immediately took steps to piss-off the Japanese government once they allied themselves with Germany. He knew this would spark aggression. I'm not going to debate whether he knew the specifics of incoming attacks, but he knew that would help him enter the war, and he was desperate to enter it without losing political clout among his constituents. And sadly America had to be attacked before it woke-up.

So as a general contrarian (ie someone that tries not to fully accept the mass opinion) I woefully disagree with your opinion. Politics is set-up to generally make the people responsible for their own fate, but it gives a relative amount of power for those delegated to make a different coarse. Depending on the situation... they might have to steer clear of conventional 'public wisdom' and decide on the best thing for America.

Rick_Michael, Jan 14, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  4. AGS

AGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Fucking hell mate, Bush and Cheney ain't given a flying fuck what the American people think since they got into office.
    They are above the law and Cheney tells Bush what to push through without even caring what the people think.
    76% of the people are against the Iraq disaster, but Bush does not give a fuck. Funny that in a democracy this complete tool was voted in (kind of) yet he does not listen to what the people want.

We got a long way to go people.

AGS, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  5. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And wait, there's more...people voted TWICE for him :D :D
    So I guess they like that way of governing...

Codythebest, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  6. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Theres the AGS we all know and love...AMERICA IS EVIL...BUSH IS EVIL...CHENEY ACTUALLY RUNS THE SHOW!!!! Support terrorism!!! AGS does!

d16man, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  7. AGS

AGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's clearly obvious that Cheney owns Bush mate, don't have to be a dickhead to figure that one out trooper. :)

AGS, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  8. AZhitman

AZhitman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Funny how the retarded resort to foul language when they have nothing intelligent to contribute.

Guess the sterotype of "poor oral hygiene" in the UK extends further than just tooth decay....

AZhitman, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  9. Josh Inno

Josh Inno Guest

Best Answers:
    Actually, we are not a democracy.

We are a representative republic.

A part of this system is that we elect those we view most capable and worthy to lead us.

Greece was a true democracy, and it had some real problems because of this. I’m not saying we don’t have problems, but Greece did too, and they were different ones. This was especially true when it came to charged issues. It was not unknown for the republic to send their troops to war, then a week later send a messenger to call the attack off, who didn’t arrive until after it had already happened, and there was an ongoing conflict. And the rules/laws could vary widely from day to day, due to the only people voting being ones that showed up, but anyone who DID show up COULD vote. And yes, the land was still ruled by the rich, because who else could show up to vote day after day.

Interestingly enough those unemployed also voted a lot because they had nothing better to do but beg.

Josh Inno, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  10. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lmao!!! gotta love AGS and his fowl mouth...hey AGS, how many infractions just for this thread?? :)

d16man, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  11. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    I do really get the "I'll do the hell whatever I want" from bush. If he use to listen to anyone, it is now clear that he has stopped.

ServerUnion, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  12. chulium

chulium Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Gee, maybe our President is inspired on how to run the country from God, and not the people :O

Ever thought of that? I'm sure you *all* are smarter than him... :rolleyes:

chulium, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  13. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Haha,

I forgot the "God" element. I wonder what he is telling Bush tonight

Nima, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  14. chulium

chulium Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mock it all you want, but do you think God would abandon a country he himself laid the foundation for? Who else would have inspired Columbus to more deeply explore the New World? What other country at the time had freedom of religion so His church could be restored? Who else if not God instructs his people what to do during the Latter-days?

I'll stop that line of questioning there, but anyway, you know what I'm getting at.

Without this part of the discussion going religious, I can say that our President is smarter than good ol' American liberals:

Bush knows how to spell "opinions".

chulium, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  15. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    But can he spell Nuclear?

He messed up one day a few months ago and pronounced it correctly. I started thinking maybe he was just trying to piss me off for the last 6 years. (by pronouncing it "Nucular")

I can't tell you how many times I've gone off on some derivitave of the rant... "The man with access to the button should be able to pronounce what it does."

nevetS, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  16. AGS

AGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah it is Nooooooookular. :D

The damn coke head can barely talk, let alone spell. :(

AGS, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  17. latehorn

latehorn Guest

Best Answers:
    But he can organize a world take-over and a team to secretly place bombs on every floor of WTC1&WTC2, fire a cruise missile at Pentagon without getting it leaked out :rolleyes:

latehorn, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  18. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can tell you that all of today's world's problem have roots in religion.

None of the events you mentioned were God's miracles. They were results of hard works that were put into it.

I'm not saying God doesn't exist, but for people to come out and say "I talked to God last night", or blame God for their troubles and say "God wanted this to happen to me", or in your case think God was the reason anyone has achieved anything... is non-sense to me.

Nima, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  19. Dudley

Dudley Guest

Best Answers:
    A president's job is the lead the country, not follow. Basing decisions upon public opinion polls that are HEAVILY biased by media misreporting would be disasterous. As the CEO for the country, a president's job is to look at the long-term effects of his decisions, not the short term satisfation from public opinion polls.

If presidents did things exactly as people demanded, the USA would have the biggest welfare state (and the poorest economy) in the world.

Leader = looks at pools and makes independent decisions beased upon what he feels is best for the country.

Follower = makes decisions based upon public opinion polls and as the liberal media thinks he should.

Dudley, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Making decisions based on the court of public opinion costs lives. Clinton proved that.

Mia, Jan 20, 2007 IP