1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Premium Publisher Experiment

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by timallard, May 14, 2007.

1. Independent

Independent Peon

Best Answers:
    Im in 100% i have access to my college newsletter (for web design school)

Independent, May 17, 2007 IP
  2. nickflame

nickflame Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting ideea i think that at the moment making an online encyclopedia is the only way to get that amount of traffic, because there will be a lot of niches and a lot of people will be interested in different things so that you can easily reach around 20 mil views per month. Wikipedia and about.com surely do.
    If there are a lot of member willing to submit uniquw, original articles, every week that could be a hit.

nickflame, May 17, 2007 IP
  3. peepin2me

peepin2me Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm interested. I can donate my VPS. Its got lotta space and server resources. I'd also contribute to SEO and Promotion.

Why don't we start something like http://www.weblogsinc.com/ which is a network of blogs. This might work well because search engines love blogs.

peepin2me, May 17, 2007 IP
  4. medicalhumor

medicalhumor Peon

Best Answers:
    lol, thanks peepin2me, but I 20,000,000 page views might be a tiny bit much for a VPS.

medicalhumor, May 17, 2007 IP
  5. 313i

313i hummmmmm. No clue

Best Answers:
    I like nickflams idea of a encyclopedia type site. I've got one set up already just havent done anything about it allabouttheusa.com but the encyclopedia is a great idea to think about.

313i, May 17, 2007 IP
  6. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Adpubster, May 17, 2007 IP
  7. ian_batten

ian_batten Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will certainly be in for this idea :D It's a good one, and an experiment that is sure to go down in DP history (if things get kicked off the ground.)
    Maybe...we could keep it simple. Make is a site ABOUT getting 20,000,000 hits per month. It's something to intrigue all webmasters ^_^

ian_batten, May 17, 2007 IP
  8. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Remember, a lot of the impresions will be created by DP members also. Or are we going to be blocked out in some way?

qwestcommunications, May 17, 2007 IP
  9. timallard

timallard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont believe so, i think possibly only the person with the adsense acct would get their impresisons null? or someone who opens the acct on their computer to login? if so then we should be good as long as nobody abuses it and refreshes their page to gain impressions. that would be something i would totally be against.

timallard, May 17, 2007 IP
  10. Pierce

Pierce Active Member

Best Answers:
    So your also going to take on wikipedia? Daymn your both brave or both stupid.

Okay, if you didnt read, 20million is 8 pages per second average every day every month. Your talking 4/5 servers with a shit hot admin who can optimize mysql and httpd servers to no end and do full load ballancing, and who will look after 5 servers at all times.

Your VPS which is an os ontop of an os aint ever going to cut it.

Pierce

Pierce, May 17, 2007 IP
  11. tyguy

tyguy Banned

Best Answers:
    tyguy, May 17, 2007 IP
  12. 313i

313i hummmmmm. No clue

Best Answers:
    So, We haven't seen your suggestion yet have we? What ideas do you have?

313i, May 17, 2007 IP
  13. mihd

mihd Peon

Best Answers:
    serously wake up + actually think this thru and go easy on him he has good points, 20mill impressions site will need some serious hardware and know-how just to run, and thats only one variable in a long equation

you want ideas? go look thru alexa top 500 sites, they all do more that 20mill impressions

mihd, May 17, 2007 IP
  14. axlarry

axlarry Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And how will you manage to share the revenue?
    I mean to generate 20 millions PV itself is not easy, you're gonna need lots of people. How do you plan to manage the income share?

axlarry, May 17, 2007 IP
  15. rmartish

rmartish Peon

Best Answers:
    Best web sites to make are those the let people meet others. People are in a dream they could meet that special someone online. Let's help them with there dreams.

rmartish, May 17, 2007 IP
  16. P D M

P D M Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is nice idea but if you couple that with pictures/video/multimedia related website with little bit of everything (current events, forums, etc.) then it has greater potential of reaching that page view goal.

P D M, May 17, 2007 IP
  17. Pierce

Pierce Active Member

Best Answers:
    So.. go for it, i want to watch you try and take on wikipedia/citizendium :)

I dont understand why people want to put there time into it so somebody *might* just get a premium account on the backs of other peoples hard work.

To do it properly the person who is getting the premium account should setup a company and hire each person who makes it happen.

So, 20 people, by the $20,000.. is $1,000/month each(before expenses, taxes and various other unaccounted expenses) at the end of the day.. want to revaluate this idea and just keep working on your own stuff?

Pierce

Pierce, May 17, 2007 IP
  18. timallard

timallard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My friend. the word "Might" is a word of a true an entrepreneur. Hey, so what if it doesnt get a premium account. It still would be something to be proud of and would be worth a shot.

If we dont do it somebody else would and take the joy right out of it.

Ofcourse there are risks, and changeles,..for anything in life really. Me personally, will shoot for a goal and stick with it. If i have a goal in my mind i wil try MY best to do it and not quit till i know i did my best. Even f i didnt get to the goal, and i know i tried my best, i succeeded.

It all about setting goals and raising the bar.

Listen. Yutube, Google, MySpace, Facebook. - All started with an idea, 1 idea that kept spreading to another, and another and turned into a revolutionary website for everyone to use every day.

Im not saying we should create something that exists, if we do, we should put hard though into it and do it BETER. or create something that isnt out there.

All im saying is there is so much creativity here, there is so much passion to accomplish something i think we could pull it off.

Sorry my post got a little long. just had to speak my mind.

-Tim

timallard, May 17, 2007 IP
  19. 313i

313i hummmmmm. No clue

Best Answers:
    I agree 100% with Tim. If everything had been up to the type of people who say "oh no its to hard" or " that can never be done" we wouldn't be where we are in technology today and you wouldn't have a computer to read this forum with.

Great things get started with ideas, and its the people who take those ideas on and make them a reality who actually get things done.

313i, May 17, 2007 IP
  20. tlainevool

tlainevool Guest

Best Answers:
    I have been having similar thoughts lately. I was thinking it would be good to start something like a co-op. Every member buys a share of the company, and every member shares in the revenue. I think the only way to do this would be to set up an corporate entity.

Every member would have to put in some money up front. This would go towards server fees, legal fees for setting up the company, hiring an accountant (unless we happen to have a member who could do this for us) and a bit of a reserve fund. I'm sure there are a lot of other fees that I'm forgetting right now.

And - I know I'm going to make a LOT of people angry with this - I think it should be limited to publishers in a single country. This would greatly reduce the legal, accounting and tax headaches. Of course since I think a big chunk of DP member are US, that would be the logical place. Again, I know I'm not going to gain any popularity by saying this, but I'm just thinking practicality. Maybe every country with enough interest could form their own group, and we could share knowledge amongst the groups.

It is an intriguing idea.

One last thought (and this isn't a criticism, just something to spark some ideas) - What makes us unique from any other web based start-up out there? That is the key to success (I highly recommend the book "Good to Great". It talks about the hedgehog concept - the one thing you identify in your company as the thing you could be the best in the world at. OK, that was really the last thought - for now.)

tlainevool, May 17, 2007 IP