1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

premium adwords advertisers and more

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by jnm, Apr 28, 2005.

I have a question about tier 1 advertisers and their use of adwords which reflects adsense.

Top companies like expedia, nextag, ebay, etc. always find a way to get into top adsense results. Is this due to their bids, their good CTR, or because they have lavish spending accounts for PPC? Since ads by google are determined with BOTH high bid ($$$) and CTR ($$$ through quantity) in mind, do you think because their accounts are so huge they get enough clicks to justify ad placement based solely on CTR resulting in their clicks being worth so much less?

I assume these large companies don't pay nearly as much per click as smaller accounts because their keywords stretch over so many keyword phrases and their budgets are unlimited (i.e. expedia could target any travel related keyword - general or niche)...a CTR assumption.

So, as an adsense publisher, would you filter out these types of ads? Just looking for opinions...

Thanks.

jnm, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  2. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Umm, Nice very interesting question! I didnt think of that but you brought up a good point. I hope to hear some good opinions... Also, doesn't the CTR only apply to a single keyword.. so other keyword's CTR wouldnt affect the current.

City2, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  3. jnm

jnm Guest

Best Answers:
    yes, i believe CTR is per keyword phrase, but if you are lucky enough to be a "premium" advertiser, i'm sure certain perks come about (i.e. mom and pop advertisers may have a daily budget of 10-50 bucks but expedia probably runs in the thousands a day and I'm sure that may have an effect).

Premium Adsense publishers have the ability to adjust size of their ads, unbrand, etc. Adwords must let big accounts get some perks...bulk discounts.

If bulk discounts are true (as I'm sure Adwords has this backdoor built in for premium services), then bid prices would lower, eCPM would lower, and overall your share of that click would be minimal to someone with a lower budget bidding high.

Not saying that's fair at all but it's the nature of the beast...and of course, like everyone else, I want as much revenue as I can get from my clicks! :D

jnm, Apr 28, 2005 IP